Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

62 Pages«<3940414243>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#801 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 10:04:47 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Galexy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peach21 Go to Quoted Post
I applied back in June for the RO public announcement. I received BQ email on 8/9 and was contacted for interview on the same day. I interviewed on Tuesday 8/17. The guy said I probably won't hear back until October.... but could be sooner. Onbaording most likely in December.

Oh wow. I applied on May 21st. Met qualitfications email on 7/9, and then BQ email 8/4, 8/5. I'm on the east coast, GA to be specific. Where are you? Or what POD?

I am in the New England area. The interview seemed to be only for 1/3 PODs I applied for.

They can use that interview for any POD
peach21  
#802 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 10:09:26 AM(UTC)
peach21

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peach21 Go to Quoted Post
I applied back in June for the RO public announcement. I received BQ email on 8/9 and was contacted for interview on the same day. I interviewed on Tuesday 8/17. The guy said I probably won't hear back until October.... but could be sooner. Onbaording most likely in December.

Oh wow. I applied on May 21st. Met qualitfications email on 7/9, and then BQ email 8/4, 8/5. I'm on the east coast, GA to be specific. Where are you? Or what POD?

I am in the New England area. The interview seemed to be only for 1/3 PODs I applied for.

Got you. Well I'll just be patient and watch to see if I receive an email for an interview. I thought after the referral email, it would be sooner. Thanks for the information.
TaxRO  
#803 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 10:34:19 AM(UTC)
TaxRO

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ufb789 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
I'm hoping for virtual as long as possible to allow me time to change my pod (if possible). I got hired for a POD 90 miles away and the POD in my city is 4 miles away.

You do know you’re not changing PODS for at least 3 years right?

You can’t transfer to a new POD unless it’s a hardship transfer unless you have an ‘exceeds fully successful’ rating.

You aren’t getting an exceeds in your training year. You’ll get a meets or be fired.

And it’s unlikely you’ll get an exceeds in year two.

So you can hope all you want about changin PODS but it isn’t going to happen

Well I guess I'm going to have to shoot for an "exceeds fully successful" rating! I didn't apply because I was hoping to "meet". If it doesn't happen then so be it but I'm going to put forth my best effort.

I do appreciate all of your helpful information on your replies to everyone, sir!

Thanks,

Just wanted to say the vast, vast majority of trainees get a meets…..but it’s not impossible to get an exceeds in year one, at least I managed it with lots of work.

However I know NOTHING about POD transfers/job swaps as Ive never needed to look into them.
Ufb789  
#804 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 2:23:34 PM(UTC)
Ufb789

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TaxRO Go to Quoted Post
I'm hoping for virtual as long as possible to allow me time to change my pod (if possible). I got hired for a POD 90 miles away and the POD in my city is 4 miles away.

You do know you’re not changing PODS for at least 3 years right?

You can’t transfer to a new POD unless it’s a hardship transfer unless you have an ‘exceeds fully successful’ rating.

You aren’t getting an exceeds in your training year. You’ll get a meets or be fired.

And it’s unlikely you’ll get an exceeds in year two.

So you can hope all you want about changin PODS but it isn’t going to happen

Well I guess I'm going to have to shoot for an "exceeds fully successful" rating! I didn't apply because I was hoping to "meet". If it doesn't happen then so be it but I'm going to put forth my best effort.

I do appreciate all of your helpful information on your replies to everyone, sir!

Thanks,

Just wanted to say the vast, vast majority of trainees get a meets…..but it’s not impossible to get an exceeds in year one, at least I managed it with lots of work.

However I know NOTHING about POD transfers/job swaps as Ive never needed to look into them.

Well, we'll see how it goes! Just got my firm offer this evening!
ScottieDutch  
#805 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2021 8:58:13 AM(UTC)
ScottieDutch

United States

Originally Posted by: ScottieDutch Go to Quoted Post
Got a firm offer for my #1 POD! Start date is 9/27.

What POD.

A POD in Michigan.
Galexy  
#806 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 4:36:21 AM(UTC)
Galexy

United States

Has anyone else heard anything from the Wave 2 public announcement? I guess it makes sense there is discussion because they may not have a .gov/edu account to sign up here.

Just trying to gauge other people's timelines for wave 2.
OEFVET  
#807 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 6:19:24 AM(UTC)
OEFVET

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Has anyone else heard anything from the Wave 2 public announcement? I guess it makes sense there is discussion because they may not have a .gov/edu account to sign up here.

I received a referral for wave 2 on Aug 5th, however, I had already received a firm offer at that point.
Galexy  
#808 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 6:36:32 AM(UTC)
Galexy

United States

Originally Posted by: OEFVET Go to Quoted Post

I received a referral for wave 2 on Aug 5th, however, I had already received a firm offer at that point.

FO for the RO position? Or a separate role? And congrats
OEFVET  
#809 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 12:41:39 PM(UTC)
OEFVET

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OEFVET Go to Quoted Post

FO for the RO position? Or a separate role? And congrats

RO position and the second wave is also for RO
Roxy1  
#810 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 11:00:45 AM(UTC)
Roxy1

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Got a firm offer for my #1 POD! Start date is 9/27.

What POD.

A POD in Michigan.

When did you apply for position? I interviewed for a Michigan pod and my out of state pod hired. Was told I can still be offered position for another pod.
Roxy1  
#811 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 11:06:20 AM(UTC)
Roxy1

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
Just received my FO with a start date of 9/27. Originally the TO said the start date would be 12/6. Need to move 4 hrs away to this location and it seems I might not have enough time to get everything ready. Has anyone that has to move for this position talked to HR yet about doing all the online training at their current location before moving to a place that is closer to the POD? Going to email HR about this tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone has had this discussion yet.

Right now you on boarding, phase on OTJ and unit one will be virtual.

Also if you are with 150 mile radius of your POD you don’t have to move.

Depending on thePOD 150 could be 4 hours

Ya I am 220 miles away currently. Emailed HR and they basically said the same thing that I need to be within 150 miles and doing the onboarding/training from my current location will not work. Def don't blame them and they have offered to move the start date back to 12/6. I guess my biggest issue is that there is pretty much no rooms to rent anywhere near my POD, all the suitable ones say either female only or no pets, which I have a 10yr old cocker spaniel. At this point, I am getting pretty worried that I won't be able to find anything since I basically can't afford to live on my own as I do now. Wondering if it's better to just reject the offer completely so they have enough time to find someone else.

EDIT: offer has been rejected, very disappointed things arent going to work out as I know this is a career that I would very much enjoy. If the salary was a bit higher I could have probably made it work but cost of living on the California coast is way to high.

What POD?

Camarillo, Ca

I would of kept the position and worked with your manager. Sometimes they can give exceptions or hardships to give u time to figure things out.

scottyd27  
#812 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 11:16:27 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

FYI the national contract is supposedly changing and the distance to the POD is suppose to Cha ge to 200 miles.
AllHailTheDead0  
#813 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 12:51:24 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

How often do you actually have to report to the POD per pay period compared to being in the field or working at home? Not sure if I would be wanting to make a long drive to work every day. What about the first year for training when you get paired up with someone? 100 miles from the POD would basically mean a 2 hour drive one way.
scottyd27  
#814 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 3:40:44 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

How often do you actually have to report to the POD per pay period compared to being in the field or working at home? Not sure if I would be wanting to make a long drive to work every day. What about the first year for training when you get paired up with someone? 100 miles from the POD would basically mean a 2 hour drive one way.

Right now all training is being delivered virtually.

The rule pre-COVId was you were suppose to report to the office 2 times per pay period.

But for ROs a field day was considered reporting tot he office.

I’d stop in and get my mail when I was in the field. I seldom worked in the office pre-covid. I live 46 miles from my POD now.

My training year was in the office everyday. But again that was pre-covid. Training g for the time being is virtual.

I don’t have any inside knowledge but I highly doubt we will be doing field visit or in person training until 2nd quarter 2022.
AllHailTheDead0  
#815 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 4:10:47 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

I was looking through this thread and saw another RO say that they only worked in the field once a week as well and the other 4 days they worked from home. That's actually not too bad at all. So basically you only needed to go out in the field once a week or what did a normal week look like pre covid? I asked HR if it was still possible to accept my FO with a start date of Dec 6th and they said yes. Might be able to make the long distance thing work for the first few months if everything is online to start and then travel is only needed once a week. What do you do when you are working from home those 4 days? Just examine taxpayer data and plan your schedule?

I also heard they when things were in person that they would send you to one of 7 locations for training? Is that still a thing or would in person training be entirely from your POD.

Edited by user Thursday, August 26, 2021 4:24:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

makingadifference  
#816 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 5:11:23 PM(UTC)
makingadifference

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Second wave and I was just contacted for an interview date.
thanks 1 user thanked makingadifference for this useful post.
Sunny6815 on 8/26/2021(UTC)
peach21  
#817 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 7:13:43 PM(UTC)
peach21

United States

Originally Posted by: makingadifference Go to Quoted Post
Second wave and I was just contacted for an interview date.

Would you mind sharing how long after receiving the BQ email for 2nd wave, were you contacted for an interview? I received mine on the 5th and I haven’t heard anything. Maybe I missed out this time.
FinCrimesJD  
#818 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 8:39:19 PM(UTC)
FinCrimesJD

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
For myself, I got my BQ 2 weeks ago and about 2 days aftet I scheduled my interview. I ended up interviewing this past Tuesday the 24th. Hopefully thet helps.
thanks 1 user thanked FinCrimesJD for this useful post.
peach21 on 8/27/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#819 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2021 3:33:19 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

I was looking through this thread and saw another RO say that they only worked in the field once a week as well and the other 4 days they worked from home. That's actually not too bad at all. So basically you only needed to go out in the field once a week or what did a normal week look like pre covid? I asked HR if it was still possible to accept my FO with a start date of Dec 6th and they said yes. Might be able to make the long distance thing work for the first few months if everything is online to start and then travel is only needed once a week. What do you do when you are working from home those 4 days? Just examine taxpayer data and plan your schedule?

I also heard they when things were in person that they would send you to one of 7 locations for training? Is that still a thing or would in person training be entirely from your POD.

They had change the in-person training a bit for the last hires in 2019.

But yes you would go to one of the service centers for classroom instructions. That is currently being delivered virtually right now.

Pre-covid, I was in the field an average of two days a week.

The other days I conduct case analysis worked on my cases in progress attended meetings via Skype, etc same stuff you’d do in the office.

Like I said your classroom is being delivered virtually right now. They said they were going to change it next fiscal year. Like I said I don’t have any particular knowledge of it but I don’t see it happening until sometime 2nd quarter of next year.

You On The Job Instruction is going to be delivered virtually at this time.

They keep telling us they are planning to return to the field but again I doubt it until some time next year. But I don’t have any specific information.

We are still operating under an evacuation order and everyone is on Max-telework.

peach21  
#820 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2021 5:47:23 AM(UTC)
peach21

United States

Originally Posted by: FinCrimesJD Go to Quoted Post
For myself, I got my BQ 2 weeks ago and about 2 days aftet I scheduled my interview. I ended up interviewing this past Tuesday the 24th. Hopefully thet helps.

Thanks, it did. Congratulations to you also!

I'll keep trying.
thanks 1 user thanked peach21 for this useful post.
FinCrimesJD on 8/27/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed