Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NomadicFed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 7:48:14 AM(UTC)
NomadicFed

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm currently an 11 step 03 (No current potential for a 12 in this position) in the NYC area looking to promote to a position with promotion potential of a 12 in the DC area. It was opened as a ladder from 11 to 12, I qualified for the 11 but not the 12. Same agency and I understand that DC has a lower locality rate than NYC does. If offered the position I'm assuming that I will be brought on as the same 11/03 with DC locality pay which would reduce my overall pay by about $2k until I hit my year mark and was granted my 12 with satisfactory performance. Do I have this right? I can stomach the $2k hit in salary for the potential of getting my 12 but want to be prepared and know for sure what to expect if they do offer me the position.

Also, although I should be on track to get a QSI after my most recent performance eval, I'm assuming that won't happen if offered this position in which case I would have received my step 04 in November of this year. If I am offered this position and accept as an 11 and do keep my 11/03 standing, would I still be on track to receive my step 04 this November or would accepting this position reset that process?

Thank you in advance

Edited by user Wednesday, June 23, 2021 7:53:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FS0201  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 8:28:46 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 273 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NomadicFed Go to Quoted Post
I'm currently an 11 step 03 (No current potential for a 12 in this position) in the NYC area looking to promote to a position with promotion potential of a 12 in the DC area. It was opened as a ladder from 11 to 12, I qualified for the 11 but not the 12. Same agency and I understand that DC has a lower locality rate than NYC does. If offered the position I'm assuming that I will be brought on as the same 11/03 with DC locality pay which would reduce my overall pay by about $2k until I hit my year mark and was granted my 12 with satisfactory performance. Do I have this right? I can stomach the $2k hit in salary for the potential of getting my 12 but want to be prepared and know for sure what to expect if they do offer me the position.

Also, although I should be on track to get a QSI after my most recent performance eval, I'm assuming that won't happen if offered this position in which case I would have received my step 04 in November of this year. If I am offered this position and accept as an 11 and do keep my 11/03 standing, would I still be on track to receive my step 04 this November or would accepting this position reset that process?

Thank you in advance

It sounds as though you are on target. If selected for an 11/12, and placed as 11, you would go at whatever step you were at (which would result in a loss in near term). The potential for the QSI later in year would likely be lost. The time toward your step would not reset, so you would get the scheduled step increase on schedule. Promotion to 12, would likely occur after a year, but this is not guaranteed and would depend on performance, availability of higher level work, etc.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 23, 2021 11:40:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 9:06:35 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
I will note, if you are working remotely from NYC, then you would receive the NYC locality vs DC. If you are required to work physically in DC, then you will find the cost of living a little lower than NYC, and so your loss would not be as hard as it would be if you were staying in NYC.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
NomadicFed  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 9:48:14 AM(UTC)
NomadicFed

United States

Thank you for the speedy responses, I just wanted to make sure I was considering this position under the correct assumptions.
NomadicFed  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2021 11:50:11 AM(UTC)
NomadicFed

United States

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

Thank you in advance

It sounds as though you are on target. If selected for an 11/12, and placed as 11, you would go at whatever step you were at (which would result in a loss in near term). The potential for the QSI later in year would likely be lost. The time toward your step would not reset, so you would get the scheduled step increase on schedule. Promotion to 12, would likely occur after a year, but this is not guaranteed and would depend on performance, availability of higher level work, etc.

Contrary to what was said here I am being told that because it's a change in job series my time as an 11/03 resets and I will stay an 11/03 until I reach the 52 week mark and get my 12. Where can I find policy that supports this?

RVRGRL  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2021 9:57:51 PM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)

Contrary to what was said here I am being told that because it's a change in job series my time as an 11/03 resets and I will stay an 11/03 until I reach the 52 week mark and get my 12. Where can I find policy that supports this?

Never heard of that and job series doesn't matter. I changed job series with a lateral, and my step time did not reset.

Per:

https://www.opm.gov/poli.../within-grade-increases/

and the question list in OPM:

A WGI waiting period begins upon (1) first appointment in the Federal service, (2) receiving an "equivalent increase," or (3) after a period of nonpay status and/or a break in service in excess of 52 calendar weeks.

According to your statement, you are going from Fed to Fed, therefore your GS 11 step should be on time.

The year they require for the 12 starts as soon as you're start that position. Just remember that promotion to 12 in a ladder position is not automatic.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 1, 2021 9:58:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NomadicFed  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 3:40:37 AM(UTC)
NomadicFed

United States

Originally Posted by: RVRGRL Go to Quoted Post

Never heard of that and job series doesn't matter. I changed job series with a lateral, and my step time did not reset.

Per:

https://www.opm.gov/poli.../within-grade-increases/

and the question list in OPM:

A WGI waiting period begins upon (1) first appointment in the Federal service, (2) receiving an "equivalent increase," or (3) after a period of nonpay status and/or a break in service in excess of 52 calendar weeks.

According to your statement, you are going from Fed to Fed, therefore your GS 11 step should be on time.

The year they require for the 12 starts as soon as you're start that position. Just remember that promotion to 12 in a ladder position is not automatic.

Thank you for the quick response...

I'm trying to understand their perspective here so I can fight this with as much information as possible. The only question I have which I cannot seem to find any clarification on is what is considered an "equivalent increase"? From what I understand it is possible to meet the conditions of an equivalent increase from a promotion which does not result in an increase in pay. Since I am moving from a GS11 position to another GS11 with a career ladder of GS12 is that still considered a promotion and therefore would it meet the criteria of an equivalent increase?

TheRealOrange  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 4:22:15 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 162 post(s)
Thank you for the quick response...

I'm trying to understand their perspective here so I can fight this with as much information as possible. The only question I have which I cannot seem to find any clarification on is what is considered an "equivalent increase"? From what I understand it is possible to meet the conditions of an equivalent increase from a promotion which does not result in an increase in pay. Since I am moving from a GS11 position to another GS11 with a career ladder of GS12 is that still considered a promotion and therefore would it meet the criteria of an equivalent increase?

If you stay at GS11 (lateral), that is not a promotion; you have simply obtained a promotion potential. According to OPM, a promotion is "a change of an employee while continuously employed from one General Schedule (GS) grade to a higher GS grade." You would not immediately be going to a higher GS grade, so it's not considered to be a promotion.

https://www.opm.gov/poli.../fact-sheets/promotions/
Rss Feed  Atom Feed