Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
0018 Hopeful  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 12:53:04 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 48 post(s)
So I have great evaluations, get big bonuses and time off awards. My supervisor is a great guy, stays out of my hair, and mostly doesn't get involved. He also is about to retire 2-3 years and doesn't like to rock the boat.

I asked him about moving back home and told him I had an interview. His exact words were " yeah, I need you to stay for 5 more years".

So I didn't get the job after interviewing twice. I bumped into him a few days later and told him about it. He had a guilty look on his face but said he was sorry.

I was thinking the thing to do is if it keeps happening is to just explain it during at the end of the interview.

That I am willing to send award documentation and evals (though I already upload them in USA Jobs) to the hiring official that my boss doesn't want me to leave.

Edited by user Friday, August 20, 2021 12:57:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

0018 Hopeful  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 8:07:33 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

My question is really weather I should talk about this during the interview if asked the question, "what would your supervisor say about you?"

GordonG  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 1:26:44 PM(UTC)
GordonG

United States

Was thanked: 1230 time(s) in 875 post(s)
I'd say to the interviewer..."my boss values me. He values me so much he said to me after he found out about this interview that he needs me for five more years".

Be honest about your current boss holding you hostage.

It wouldn't surprise me if he sabotaged your initial interview.

Between me and you...don't tell people stuff about you wanting to leave. It's none of their business.
Afghan Joe Biden

Where's Kamala?

0018 Hopeful  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 1:33:19 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Thanks, that is what I had originally thought.

When you are honest with people about leaving it usually screws you.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 1:56:11 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1162 time(s) in 929 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
My question is really weather I should talk about this during the interview if asked the question, "what would your supervisor say about you?"

I would talk to my supervisor and ask "What did you mean by sorry?" And if he said he can't afford to lose you, explain that if he torpedoes your chances at another position, you will file a complaint with the IG for Abuse and interference in the hiring process (an ethics complaint OSC would investigate). You will continue to work hard as you have been in the position, and he needs to realize you can quit any time, and then what will he do? As it stands, if you accept another position, it will be a couple of weeks at least before you move, so there will be time for an effective turnover/handoff. If you quit tomorrow, he gets nothing. So...what would he prefer? And, you could easily provide negative inferences to his leadership online, impacting ability to hire people.

I would also see if someone above him in your chain of command could be a reference for you, explaining to them what he has done.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 2:00:49 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1162 time(s) in 929 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, that is what I had originally thought.

When you are honest with people about leaving it usually screws you.
I've been lucky, I guess. All my civil service supervisors have encouraged me to apply for positions and move up in my career. Then again, I tend to stick around for a few years (took me a little over 4 years for me to start applying to positions at all, and even then they would be a promotion, and only in certain areas (I was asked by my 2nd level why I didn't apply for the position in Silicon Valley as I would have been a top contender...simple answer, don't want to live there, and it is WAY too expensive even compared to DC!). Plus, I'm trying to stay with my agency (and for good reason! Some great mentors, and support for a potential attempt for SES at some point).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
DroneBee  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 9:38:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
... you will file a complaint with the IG for Abuse and interference in the hiring process (an ethics complaint OSC would investigate)...

Don't! Once you file, you are marked. Just keep applying and don't use your supervisor as a reference.
0018 Hopeful  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 11:35:47 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Originally Posted by: DroneBee Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
... you will file a complaint with the IG for Abuse and interference in the hiring process (an ethics complaint OSC would investigate)...

Don't! Once you file, you are marked. Just keep applying and don't use your supervisor as a reference.

Good copy, I don't plan on it. It is really flying fish annoying!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed