Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Soup 2.0

We encourage your suggestions and ideas for ways we can improve your experience, and welcome feedback. While we are unable to respond to every comment and/or email message, we are listening!

Our user-generated content is extremely valuable to us, but we also recognize the problems that can occur as a result and are steadily working toward improvements. This is the place to share!

Please ONLY post topics here that are related to the FederalSoup interface and user experience. Any topic posted that is not related to the forum interface will be moved to the appropriate forum.

(HINT: If you don't know exactly where your topic fits, post it in the General Conversations forum.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
0018 Hopeful  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 7:44:48 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 50 post(s)
For the past 3-5 years, I have been using a resume that mimics the USA jobs resume, but has more detail and most importantly it has headers and page numbers. The font is a little bigger, and I think it is easier to read. Gets to be quite a few pages.

I don't normally use a cover letter.

I am thinking about going back to the USA jobs resume builder, as I have noticed a huge drop in interviews.

I have also considered the more modern short form 2 page bullet resume, but I think most hiring managers are used to using a USA jobs resume and they wouldn't like it. I know I personally despise when I see a 2 page resume.

What do you guys think?
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 8:43:20 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1026 time(s) in 868 post(s)
This is a great question that always leads to some lively discussion.

My opinion is to stick with the USAjobs resume builder. I like it because I can list all my many years of experience.... BUT I definitely put more emphasis/detail on the more recent jobs. And it is convenient that USAjobs lets you store several versions because it always helps to tweak it for the particular job announcement.

However, once you get outside the world of USAjobs, you better have a two-page resume and it should have a lot of blank space on Page 2!
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 9:25:05 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1206 time(s) in 964 post(s)
Concur with the oldguy. If you want someone to review it, just PM me for my email address. I try to keep mine to around the 5-6 page mark for actual work accomplishments, etc. Some scientists/engineers resumes can get long when you include their publications, patents, etc, but the work parts generally seem to be around 5-7 pages (in my experience on selection panels over the years).
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
0018 Hopeful  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 1:12:57 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Ok, I am down to 8.

Frank I am going to send you a PM.
GRITS  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 1:48:54 PM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
0018 Hopeful I just looked at the one that was used to get my current job and it was 6 pages long using the Resume Builder. It has been my experience that every job that I have gotten an interview for was with the one that I built on USAJOBS. The Resume Builder has also been useful with getting the last two non federal jobs prior to me becoming a federal employee.
0018 Hopeful  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2021 5:02:47 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Thanks everyone, especially Frank for looking at the resume!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed