Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Xerxes  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2021 7:32:44 PM(UTC)
Xerxes

Groups: Registered
United States

Good evening!

I just received an offer a few weeks ago at DOD and am scheduled to start soon, but am also due to give birth in early January. I applied months ago, and wasn’t asked about it in interviews (obviously) and didn’t want to bring it up - seemed like it might be putting my future team in a weird spot.

So, with that being said, any tips on how to navigate this? Don’t want to screw over the new position, but also will want to take at least 6-8 weeks off. I don’t believe I qualify for maternity leave, but could I take advance leave against future maternity leave? Leave without pay? Any ideas welcome - really want to come in on the right foot, and wasn’t sure the best way to navigate this. Thanks in advance!
GRITS  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:09:44 PM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I would hope that this country workforce (especially federal) has gotten pass discriminatory practices when dealing with maternity leave. You would not qualify for FMLA but you can go on LWOP (leave without Pay) and if any issues arises you would definitely have a great EEO compliant against the agency.

https://www.eeoc.gov/pregnancy-discrimination
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2021 4:59:33 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
I don't think you've got anything to worry about. Be honest about your situation.

Aslo, it may not be an issue at all. You may be required to work remotely and not go into an office. That would reduce the 6-8 weeks you'd need to take off. I'm confident your new command will work with you.

Best wishes

Xerxes  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2021 7:15:24 AM(UTC)
Xerxes

United States

Thanks all! Main worry was alienating new folks, and not wanting to get off on wrong foot. Thanks!
FrankJr  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2021 8:24:39 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Xerxes Go to Quoted Post
Good evening!

I just received an offer a few weeks ago at DOD and am scheduled to start soon, but am also due to give birth in early January. I applied months ago, and wasn’t asked about it in interviews (obviously) and didn’t want to bring it up - seemed like it might be putting my future team in a weird spot.

So, with that being said, any tips on how to navigate this? Don’t want to screw over the new position, but also will want to take at least 6-8 weeks off. I don’t believe I qualify for maternity leave, but could I take advance leave against future maternity leave? Leave without pay? Any ideas welcome - really want to come in on the right foot, and wasn’t sure the best way to navigate this. Thanks in advance!

Do not communicate the situation to the new management until after starting the new job. You didn't mention if you are new to the federal workforce or not. Unless you have been a federal employee for 12 month the options are limited. The EEO office is tasked with protecting the employer, not the employee; do your homework.

https://www.afge.org/glo...booklet_march10-2021.pdf
Xerxes  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2021 10:23:10 PM(UTC)
Xerxes

United States

What could the new agency do if I mention it? Having a talk next week, and I’ve already been offered the job…
Xerxes  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2021 10:23:55 PM(UTC)
Xerxes

United States

What could the new agency do if I mention it? Having a talk next week, and I’ve already been offered the job…
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 3:24:17 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
Good evening!

Do not communicate the situation to the new management until after starting the new job. You didn't mention if you are new to the federal workforce or not. Unless you have been a federal employee for 12 month the options are limited. The EEO office is tasked with protecting the employer, not the employee; do your homework.

https://www.afge.org/glo...booklet_march10-2021.pdf
The EEO office is NOT tasked with protecting the employer or the employee. They are tasked with protecting the process. The facts drive the results of complaints. The EEO office's goal is resolution of issues.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Endless Summer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 5:11:01 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)

The short answer is you have nothing to worry about. The long answer can be found at the EEOC's website...

https://www.eeoc.gov/fac...pregnancy-discrimination

and it does apply to the Federal Gov't as noted.

It sounds like you're mainly concerned about your future coworkers' reactions. Again, I don't think you've got anything to worry about but this will be a great way to filter out anyone you don't want to associate with if they give you grief about having a baby.

If you haven't already mentioned it, I'd do so to avoid any feeings on their part that you were being deceptive, even though you are not under any obligation to discose the info.
ULB  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2021 4:33:19 PM(UTC)
ULB

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hope this helps!

I got my first federal job 3 years ago in February. I was pregnant. Coming from private sector I was terrified to tell my new boss, but they were very very understanding.

Obviously, I didn’t have any leave and wasn’t eligible for FMLA but was able to advance my leave and work flexible hours, some telework, until I came back. You are able to advance upwards of 200 hours of annual leave. So between what little I had accrued and advancing, I was able to take off without financial stress. I was also still accruing leave while on leave. I had to be very conservative with taking leave the following year, but I can happily say next year I’ll be in use or lose. It accrues quickly if you’re judicious!

Best of luck!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed