Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GRITS  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 5:13:05 PM(UTC)
GRITS

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
My understanding is that you will qualify for a GS 15 because you stated that you have the minimum of 1 year at the GS 14 level in non federal work. Get in where you fit in...meaning you may be holding out hope for positions that may never materialize and Federal Gov't is finicky especially with budgets so if there is a job and you still are able to take, take it. These jobs can be here today and gone tomorrow. Nothing would be able to prevent you for qualifying for those GS 15 especially if the are open to all U.S. Citizens. Merit promotions may be another situation. Get your foot in the door and good luck!!
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 3:12:58 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CTT Go to Quoted Post
I am coming from the private sector with 12 months of experience that is equivalent experience to a GS14.
I got a job offer with the government for a GS14 Step 4. However, I have a few referrals for a GS15 positions.
If I accept this position as a GS14 Step 4, will I still be qualified for a GS15 in the next few months? Or will I have to be in the GS14 level for the next 12 months to qualify for Time in Grade as a GS14 before I can move up to GS15 - even if I already have experiences as a GS14 (12 months) in the private sector?

Trying to figure out if I should decline this position and wait for a GS15 interviews, if that even happens?
Let's see...an actual offer in the hand vs a referral (not even had an interview you felt went well!) which may or may not pan out into an interview or offer? Hmmm...

If you are fine with waiting and not having the GS15 positions pan out (remember, they will typically get at least 2 certificates of eligibles, 1 internal candidates, 1 open to all...and the internal candidates are likely to apply to both, so could show up on both!). And many of those will have more than 12 months of experience at the GS14 level...and that is within the federal government. So...hopefully your 12 months of experience is enough to "WOW!!!" the selection official/panel. Being referred is only the first step. Even at the -15 level we frequently see double digits in the applicants (of course, I work in a very popular agency, which has a lot of people trying to get in, so we do get a huge number of highly qualified candidates even from the private sector.
And many of those are contractors at our agency at the time they apply).

What are the pros and cons of taking the -14 position vs waiting to see if the -15 referrals result in interviews?

You can always accept the -15 if you subsequently get interviewed and a job offer even if you took the -14.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
CTT  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 5:00:40 AM(UTC)
CTT

United States

Thanks Frank! The cons of accepting the 14 is that my TIG would start when I start the positions and I cannot go for any other announcements that is under Merit Promotion, I believe I can still apply for GS15 positions that are DE.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 5:47:38 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CTT Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Frank! The cons of accepting the 14 is that my TIG would start when I start the positions and I cannot go for any other announcements that is under Merit Promotion, I believe I can still apply for GS15 positions that are DE.
The cons you describe are what you have right now, so are neutral at worst, and not really a con.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
djp  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2021 1:23:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 171 post(s)
You can jump from 13 to SES
Rss Feed  Atom Feed