Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheLongestWaitEver  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2021 10:46:20 PM(UTC)
TheLongestWaitEver

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I decided to make an account in the hopes that my own experience can encourage the rest of you who also are experiencing long wait times. As per the title has been an experience like no other. The ultimate test of patience like you have probably never experienced before.

Without going into any specifics I have been waiting since my COE for about 3.5 years now which is around 1200 days. I cannot imagine this is the norm. I was pretty much done with everything in 6 months and have just been getting “still processing” calls for the past 3 years with no action required on my part. I imagine I must fall into the category of squeaky clean as I have never done drugs, alcohol, or even missed a late payment. As many people say: no news is good news, but the wait definitely feels discouraging and endless at times.

Here are a few important lessons learned:
Look for another job right away so you can gain valuable experience while you wait.
Do not plan your life expecting to hear back soon: such as month-to-month rent.
Keep yourself educated on current events and take the time to develop your skills.
Be proactive to call with potential updates even if it is info the gov should have.
Pray to God to give you more patience than you ever thought possible lol!

Good luck to all! If the end ever comes I will provide an update.
thanks 3 users thanked TheLongestWaitEver for this useful post.
rebels8 on 4/21/2021(UTC), 51319 on 4/21/2021(UTC), ST11111830 on 4/21/2021(UTC)
tumamad165  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 3:31:36 PM(UTC)
tumamad165

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Agree with the OP and would add it never hurts to reach out to your program officer or recruiter since they generally have more insight than those making the “still processing” calls
thanks 1 user thanked tumamad165 for this useful post.
TheLongestWaitEver on 4/21/2021(UTC)
Armomancer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 10:41:59 AM(UTC)
Armomancer

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Mine didn’t have any insight. They only said “we are waiting for security to call us”, with a heavy-handed hint that I shouldn’t bother calling them.
hopefulguy  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 5:35:27 AM(UTC)
hopefulguy

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tumamad165 Go to Quoted Post
Agree with the OP and would add it never hurts to reach out to your program officer or recruiter since they generally have more insight than those making the “still processing” calls

Yeah if you could ever reach them and not voicemail.
tumamad165  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 8:12:41 AM(UTC)
tumamad165

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Leave a vmail, they do surprisingly get back in pretty short order. I guess mileage varies with the PO/recruiter...that sucks
feralcat  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 9:18:04 AM(UTC)
feralcat

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I mean, I think it all comes down to being patient and pursuing more than one thing at a time. It's well-established that the application process is extremely long, but it is also extremely varied--some people apply and onboard 18 months later, while some are like the OP. If you find that you're watching the clock, counting the days until someone reaches out, and spamming their phones/inboxes, it'll be a treacherous process.

The best advice that I heard was to apply and forget about it. Pursue other options with a similar scope, continue your studies, keep up with current events, avoid questionable activities, etc. You'll be ready for when the call does come and you won't be in the cycle of constant anticipation and disappointment.

Does the process suck? Yes. Is it fair and sustainable? Maybe, maybe not. But obsessing over the process won't make it faster, and at a certain point, they'll reach out if you are accepted or rejected, so they won't forget about you. Sure for your sanity, ping them occasionally if you don't receive an update, but everyone needs to keep in mind that this could be a years-long process. Continue to improve yourself and occupy your time.
Bart  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2021 4:14:37 PM(UTC)
Bart

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Keyword, live your life normally. Don't hold yourself back from any job search. Take care of yourself in the meantime. Go for that higher level job and do not be afraid to fail. What if you get a better option while waiting. I think I read on here as well that some people just withdrew from the process altogether after 2 years. I knew a gal whose process took 38 months and she went months without hearing anything apart from "you process is still on track" when she would call her contact.

She went on and applied for another job in the meantime and got a great one that she loved with a higher salary than that of the GS scale she interviewed for (about 14k higher). When it came time, the agency would not match her salary so she refused the offer and has never regretted her decision. The key here as she told me was that after the interview she didn't sit and wonder if she was going to get an offer and continued her life and 3 weeks later got an COE. She accepted the COE then 7 months later was called to come in for Poly; at the same time they started her BI. Medical was 12 months after the COE then silence after that. This is when she applied for the other job and got it and totally forgot about the agency job for some months but called at month 20,26, 32 to check in. Finally month 38 she got a call and was told she was going to receive a package in the mail. She did 1 week later and it was the POE, salary was low, tried negotiating and they came up buy $3500 only. The job was a GS12 max and they offered her GS12 step 4; she asked for a step 9 and no joy. Fast forward 5 years later she is still in the private sector and now makes a salary equivalent to a GS 13 step 10 as she got promoted.

Lesson here is to continue to better yourself and take care of your own development. If it is meant to be, then it will be.
thanks 1 user thanked Bart for this useful post.
rebels8 on 10/14/2021(UTC)
rebels8  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 12:29:24 AM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Was thanked: 193 time(s) in 171 post(s)
CIA Director William Burns recently told the CIA workforce that the agency will be implementing "changes to processes to significantly reduce the time it takes for applicants to join CIA." Because it is absolutely ridiculous for anyone to have to wait 3 or 4 years to receive a final job offer from the CIA from the time they apply. Theoretically, the entire pre-employment process shouldn't take any longer than 1-2 years max. And it's not just the CIA that has a long pre-employment process. Other intelligence agencies do as well. I used to work for DIA and it was 2 and a half years between the time that I applied for a job at DIA and the time that I received a final job offer. Most of that time was spent waiting in the agency's stupid hiring pool after my clearance was adjudicated.

https://news.clearancejo...s-300m-nsa-sigint-award/

#MMlivesmatter
Rss Feed  Atom Feed