Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gal Friday  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 8:06:36 AM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
20% of federal employees are estimated to quit/retire. The IRS is going to need so many people we are pretty much all going to be hired ... I hope!
thanks 1 user thanked Gal Friday for this useful post.
7Letters on 11/13/2021(UTC)
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 9:00:10 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
I'm doing my part! My retirement is official on October 31st.

It doesn't have anything to do with COVID, I'm just ready!

scottyd27  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 9:27:37 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
20% of federal employees are estimated to quit/retire. The IRS is going to need so many people we are pretty much all going to be hired ... I hope!

No chance. Unless they are very close to retirement, very few will quit.
Gal Friday  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 2:49:04 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

No chance. Unless they are very close to retirement, very few will quit.

Washington, DC and the Northeast U.S. have higher vax rates, but only 56.6% of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated. Unlikely the IRS has a much higher vax rate than the general population. So a lot of employees are either still going to get vaxxed or leave. If only 5% leave, that's still over 4,000 jobs!
Floaty  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:07:20 AM(UTC)
Floaty

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Wow. If you are relying on the numbers of employees who chooses not to vaccinate and end up quitting; giving you the opportunity to get hired...you must NOT be a desirable eligible candidate if you haven't been accepted into any IRS position.

Kind of sad to have your mindset.
I hope you remain un-hired.

I am vaccinated but because I chose to but I would never be hopeful of position opening up because of a choice made/not made.
*Do not drown in your own swimming pool*
thanks 2 users thanked Floaty for this useful post.
Msstl on 10/28/2021(UTC), Northlyn on 11/5/2021(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:43:47 AM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Floaty Go to Quoted Post
Wow. If you are relying on the numbers of employees who chooses not to vaccinate and end up quitting; giving you the opportunity to get hired...you must NOT be a desirable eligible candidate if you haven't been accepted into any IRS position.

I am vaccinated but because I chose to but I would never be hopeful of position opening up because of a choice made/not made.

You have no idea how qualified or unqualified this person is, you're making assumptions based on their hopes and dreams.

I'm guessing you've never felt stuck in an office you can no longer stand, either because of the management, the locale, etc.

You're very privileged to have never spent days/nights waiting and hoping on a job offer so that you can move closer to family, take on a new challenge, or otherwise advance in your career.

I'd hate to have your mindset, coming on the boards to talk down to others. I'm glad to hear your vaccinated, but keep your *****ty comments to yourself.

P.S. Hope you get hired Gal Friday, feel free to message me you're ever looking for any advice/guidance on federal employment, and don't mind the haters.
thanks 2 users thanked Stuck_in_TX for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 10/14/2021(UTC), 7Letters on 11/13/2021(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:51:33 AM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

On a lighter note, I hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread to ask about the recent mass attorney vacancy.

Specifically, I'm referring to this posting -> https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/594520300

I'm curious as to the hiring process with the IRS for general tax attorneys, particularly because final location determination is at management's discretion. I'm currently serving as an attorney advisor with a different agency, but I'm looking for a change of scenery and a new challenge. Also, the promotional potential is spectacular (GS-14) compared to my current position, which maxes out at GS-12. But, I'm worried I could get stuck in an even worse locale than I'm already in (Idaho, Alaska, etc.)

My apologies for hijacking, I tried to make a separate thread, but it did not go through, perhaps I'm too new to the forum?

Thanks,
Endless Summer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:58:45 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Originally Posted by: Stuck_in_TX Go to Quoted Post

You have no idea how qualified or unqualified this person is, you're making assumptions based on their hopes and dreams.

I'm guessing you've never felt stuck in an office you can no longer stand, either because of the management, the locale, etc.

You're very privileged to have never spent days/nights waiting and hoping on a job offer so that you can move closer to family, take on a new challenge, or otherwise advance in your career.

I'd hate to have your mindset, coming on the boards to talk down to others. I'm glad to hear your vaccinated, but keep your *****ty comments to yourself.

P.S. Hope you get hired Gal Friday, feel free to message me you're ever looking for any advice/guidance on federal employment, and don't mind the haters.

I don't have a dog in this fight but you also see to be making assumptions about a poster. For the record, I think it's poor form to rejoice in someone else's misfortune in the hopes it will benefit you.

Or we could go the Bill Burr route and cheer on the virus since it will reduce traffic.

"I'd hate to have your mindset, coming on the boards to talk down to others" Did you think that comment through before posting it?
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
Northlyn on 11/5/2021(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 7:20:34 AM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

I don't have a dog in this fight but you also see to be making assumptions about a poster. For the record, I think it's poor form to rejoice in someone else's misfortune in the hopes it will benefit you.

Or we could go the Bill Burr route and cheer on the virus since it will reduce traffic.

"I'd hate to have your mindset, coming on the boards to talk down to others" Did you think that comment through before posting it?

You did not have a dog in the fight either until you decided to come on here to try to insult OP's qualifications. Also, if someone is too mired in misinformation to get vaccinated, they unfortunately deserve misfortune until they change their mind and make the responsible choice. OP can't help that a scientifically illiterate employee's misfortune could be their windfall.

I definitely thought the comment through before posting it, there's a difference between rebuking an annoying troll and insulting the qualifications of a hopeful applicant, you're trying to draw a false equivalency.

But I'm gonna stop feeding you now, because you clearly get off on it weirdo.
thanks 1 user thanked Stuck_in_TX for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 10/14/2021(UTC)
Endless Summer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 7:37:07 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

You did not have a dog in the fight either until you decided to come on here to try to insult OP's qualifications. ...

??? What the hell is this referring to? I'm gonna guess that reading comprehension isn't your strong suite.

You seem such a lovely person, spreading joy and sunshine everywhere you go. It's a shame I'm retiring and will miss the opportunity to be blessed with you as a coworker.

Keep those happy thoughts!
Stuck_in_TX  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 7:41:43 AM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

You did not have a dog in the fight either until you decided to come on here to try to insult OP's qualifications. ...

??? What the hell is this referring to? I'm gonna guess that reading comprehension isn't your strong suite.

You seem such a lovely person, spreading joy and sunshine everywhere you go. It's a shame I'm retiring and will miss the opportunity to be blessed with you as a coworker.

Oh geez, you're totally right, I thought you were floaty, my apologies. It's been a long morning :/
thanks 1 user thanked Stuck_in_TX for this useful post.
Endless Summer on 10/14/2021(UTC)
Gal Friday  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 7:42:16 AM(UTC)
Gal Friday

On a lighter note, I hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread to ask about the recent mass attorney vacancy.

Specifically, I'm referring to this posting -> https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/594520300

I'm curious as to the hiring process with the IRS for general tax attorneys, particularly because final location determination is at management's discretion. I'm currently serving as an attorney advisor with a different agency, but I'm looking for a change of scenery and a new challenge. Also, the promotional potential is spectacular (GS-14) compared to my current position, which maxes out at GS-12. But, I'm worried I could get stuck in an even worse locale than I'm already in (Idaho, Alaska, etc.)

My apologies for hijacking, I tried to make a separate thread, but it did not go through, perhaps I'm too new to the forum?

Thanks,

Hi Stuck,

I get the impression that once jobs get over Grade 9 no one will help you much. Probably because less people know about higher grade jobs or it's more competitive ... don't know why really, but seems to be the case!
Endless Summer  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 8:48:43 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Oh geez, you're totally right, I thought you were floaty, my apologies. It's been a long morning :/

My comment wasn't an example of my finest moments, I apologize.
Stuck_in_TX on 10/14/2021(UTC)
Floaty  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 2:01:46 PM(UTC)
Floaty

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Haha! Hit a nerve? So OP's dream and hope is to take a spot of someone unvaccinated? Right.

You are a joke, along with your assumption as well.
*Do not drown in your own swimming pool*
thanks 1 user thanked Floaty for this useful post.
Stuck_in_TX  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 2:04:21 PM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

My comment wasn't an example of my finest moments, I apologize.

No worries man, I definitely could have been more tactful myself. At least were both mature enough to apologize and move on. Hope you're having a good one and congrats on your retirement sir! :D
Stuck_in_TX  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 2:08:00 PM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

Thanks,

Hi Stuck,

I get the impression that once jobs get over Grade 9 no one will help you much. Probably because less people know about higher grade jobs or it's more competitive ... don't know why really, but seems to be the case!

Ah I see, some of the other agencies on here have more active discussions for the higher grade levels, but yea no worries, I guess we'll just have to wait and see *fingers crossed*
Gal Friday  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2021 10:21:10 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

"Feds worry vaccine mandate could lead to staffing crisis"

Don't worry .. we are available!

Edited by user Tuesday, November 2, 2021 10:22:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gal Friday for this useful post.
cmefly on 11/3/2021(UTC)
Gal Friday  
#18 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 1:23:51 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Add in, people are retiring like never seen before ...

"Affluent Americans Rush to Retire in New 'Life-Is-Short' Mindset"
Northlyn  
#19 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 3:21:42 PM(UTC)
Northlyn

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Your giddy anticipation of getting your dream job is due, in part, to the exodus of workers who will be forced out because they aren't getting the jab? No jab, no job. Good to know. I hope you get hired.

Edited by user Friday, November 5, 2021 3:35:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: clarity

Don't let yesterday take up too much of today.
Gal Friday  
#20 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 4:14:06 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Originally Posted by: Northlyn Go to Quoted Post

Your giddy anticipation of getting your dream job is due, in part, to the exodus of workers who will be forced out because they aren't getting the jab? No jab, no job. Good to know. I hope you get hired.

I don't know why people keep saying that ... the IRS is going to need a lot of vaxxed people! You will see soon!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed