Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

50 Pages«<47484950>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Goose1200  
#961 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2021 5:10:30 AM(UTC)
Goose1200

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The last week or two there have been a few more postings, both of which are still open. For the one posted today, there was actually an online assessment that had to be done, has anyone else done the assessment that follows the application on prior postings or is this a new step? Thanks-
FERPY  
#962 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2021 7:07:31 AM(UTC)
FERPY

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has anyone received any offers or have any idea when they will be sending those out from the RO interviews that were conducted at the beginning of the month?
chasingthegrade  
#963 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2021 5:41:36 AM(UTC)
chasingthegrade

Originally Posted by: FERPY Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone received any offers or have any idea when they will be sending those out from the RO interviews that were conducted at the beginning of the month?

They said they would be interviewing until the end of the month and then submitting selections to HR. That was 2 weeks ago.
thanks 1 user thanked chasingthegrade for this useful post.
FERPY on 9/23/2021(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX  
#964 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 2:54:28 PM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Recently referred to the hiring manager for this opening -> https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/612398100

I'm guessing they were waiting until we cleared the shutdown to send out status updates, thought I'd let y'all know to go check your status if you haven't in a few days
XFed77  
#965 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 10:06:23 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Stuck_in_TX Go to Quoted Post
Recently referred to the hiring manager for this opening -> https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/612398100

I'm guessing they were waiting until we cleared the shutdown to send out status updates, thought I'd let y'all know to go check your status if you haven't in a few days

I was also recently referred for the same announcement and found out by checking the status. They used to send you an email when you were referred and that was the way you learned, but seems like they have done away with that. I also applied for an ISO position at a Service Center and the same deal, no email, just happened to look at the status.

I guess now we're waiting to see if we're contacted for an interview.

Edited by user Thursday, October 7, 2021 10:33:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JDSIII  
#966 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 10:14:08 AM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
As was I, same announcement, pleasant surprise!

I was checking on a different application also and just looked out of curiosity and saw the referral.
XFed77  
#967 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 10:30:07 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Goose1200 Go to Quoted Post
The last week or two there have been a few more postings, both of which are still open. For the one posted today, there was actually an online assessment that had to be done, has anyone else done the assessment that follows the application on prior postings or is this a new step? Thanks-

About 3 years ago I was an ISO and applied for a similar Asylum posting. I had taken a 4 hour assessment, (Wonderlic), that consisted of 4 parts recently because I was applying for an ISO 2 position and if you had taken this assessment more than a year prior, which was my case, you had to re-take it; it was good for another year.

So, I applied for this Asylum position and was given credit for the 1st 4 parts, but they made me take an additional section for the Asylum position.

Fast forward to the last couple of months, I am no longer with USCIS but am trying to return, I took the assessment you're inquiring about for an ISO position during the application and when I applied for this Asylum position a few days letter, I received the full credit, didn't have to take an extra section.

I also noticed that this assessment is much shorter, fortunately, than the previous one.

I guess Covid has fast tracked/streamlined everything...

Edited by user Thursday, October 7, 2021 10:54:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Stuck_in_TX  
#968 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 1:10:28 PM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
I was also recently referred for the same announcement and found out by checking the status. They used to send you an email when you were referred and that was the way you learned, but seems like they have done away with that. I also applied for an ISO position at a Service Center and the same deal, no email, just happened to look at the status.

I guess now we're waiting to see if we're contacted for an interview.

Yeah apparently they don't send that email out anymore, which is odd because I know other agencies that still send out referral emails.

I have not heard anything about an interview, but on Monday I received an email from the hiring staff at the office I applied to, asking for an updated resume, writing sample, and references. I'm wondering if this is a prelude or possibly an alternative to interviews, but I guess we just have to wait and see, probably depends on which office you applied for (I've heard some offices don't even do interviews and just send offers).

Good luck to both y'all and anyone else who got referred, *fingers crossed*
thanks 3 users thanked Stuck_in_TX for this useful post.
JDSIII on 10/7/2021(UTC), XFed77 on 10/7/2021(UTC), Sliohio on 10/8/2021(UTC)
yogagirl  
#969 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 2:47:09 PM(UTC)
yogagirl

United States

One of my AO colleagues was just hired for one of the RO positions. Has anyone else heard anything?
thanks 1 user thanked yogagirl for this useful post.
FERPY on 10/28/2021(UTC)
MikeyM7118  
#970 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 4:18:37 AM(UTC)
MikeyM7118

United States

Anyone deemed intelligible for GS9 Asylum Officer that met the qualifications?

"Examining documents for authenticity to assist in the detection of fraud;
Interviewing applicants and witnesses to elicit information and assess credibility;
Reviewing information from databases and/or other records to identify individuals who may pose a threat to national security or public safety; and
Analyzing information gathered through interview and research to summarize facts and provide formal written determinations."

As a NYC Police Officer I have done these requirements daily for over 6 years. I was also a 10 point veteran. I believe my resume also matched the requirements and I believe I checked all the correct answers to qualified. I figured at least qualified. Even if it said not referred at least I'd understand that.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 13, 2021 4:19:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Stuck_in_TX  
#971 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 10:39:05 AM(UTC)
Stuck_in_TX

United States

Originally Posted by: MikeyM7118 Go to Quoted Post

Interviewing applicants and witnesses to elicit information and assess credibility;
Reviewing information from databases and/or other records to identify individuals who may pose a threat to national security or public safety; and
Analyzing information gathered through interview and research to summarize facts and provide formal written determinations."

As a NYC Police Officer I have done these requirements daily for over 6 years. I was also a 10 point veteran. I believe my resume also matched the requirements and I believe I checked all the correct answers to qualified. I figured at least qualified. Even if it said not referred at least I'd understand that.

I don't know much about the qualifying process thus far (still applying), but I think they're definitely looking for applicants with advanced degrees. Another question would be, are you a detective or a standard beat officer? I imagine the more discretion you have over the investigation process, the better.

I am a current GS-12 employee with a different agency and they found I did not qualify for GS-12 as an AO, even though my job definitely involves "Preparing written legal analysis or other official written memoranda to support decisions in relation to sensitive and complex hearings, administrative proceedings, benefits, or appeal cases." every single day. *shrugs*

majun  
#972 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 12:11:44 PM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MikeyM7118 Go to Quoted Post

The question isn’t whether you met the qualifications but whether you used the buzz words in your resume to convince the HR person who reviewed your resume that you met the qualifications. Basically your resume has to regurgitate the same language that is in the job opening announcement. Applying for federal jobs is very different than applying for other jobs. Your resume should be about 5 pages for a federal job. If it is a one or two pager it won’t be taken seriously.

There was a thread on here about 10 - 11 years ago about asylum officer job qualifications and towards the end the original poster explains what she had to do to get HR to recognize her qualifications.

https://forum.federalsou...s&t=33533#post359344
thanks 1 user thanked majun for this useful post.
BigLou on 10/22/2021(UTC)
GreatlakesISO  
#973 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2021 4:10:20 PM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Did anyone go through their refugee-worldwide interview yet? I have mine coming up and I have some questions about it.
Bros1980  
#974 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 3:02:13 PM(UTC)
Bros1980

Anyone know what the asylum officer interview is like?

Perhaps the type of questions they ask?
Washington Ave  
#975 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 5:17:20 PM(UTC)
Washington Ave

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GreatlakesISO Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone go through their refugee-worldwide interview yet? I have mine coming up and I have some questions about it.

heads up, my references were contacted before the interview.

best thing you can do is just relax.

if you want good news, at the end of the interview. ask how many they are looking to hire

good luck.

writing assignment is different than last year.

that is all I am going to say

Moving to CN, and you can't stop me!!!
Manta81  
#976 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2021 6:37:16 AM(UTC)
Manta81

Originally Posted by: JDSIII Go to Quoted Post
As was I, same announcement, pleasant surprise!

I was checking on a different application also and just looked out of curiosity and saw the referral.

That's what happened to me for this announcement: https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/612396800

Never got an email about it, though.
CalKent  
#977 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2021 9:22:49 AM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Has anyone applied and heard news about the below posting for immigration officers?
https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/611639700

I interviewed over a week ago, and still no word. Additionally instead of "best qualified referred" my status has reverted to "application received". Which seems odd, and I'm not inclined to look at it as a positive sign...

Similarly, has anyone from the Chicago area received an interview request for this posting?
https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/612398100
FERPY  
#978 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2021 2:55:55 PM(UTC)
FERPY

United States

Originally Posted by: yogagirl Go to Quoted Post
One of my AO colleagues was just hired for one of the RO positions. Has anyone else heard anything?

I interviewed at the end of August but have not heard back. Anyone have any idea if they are still looking to fill positions from this posting?
CalKent  
#979 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2021 7:41:04 AM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I just noticed while checking the status of my application on the jobs.monstergovt.com site, I now have an additional option. Usually under Vacancy Details I can select Edit Your Application, View Eligibility Questions, View Vacancy Questions, Email to a Friend, and Print Vacancy. Now I also see "Begin Onboarding". Clicking it I see a dashboard that looks like it could be used for uploading new-hire docs.

Does this mean I've been selected and will be extended an offer? I really don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm having a hard time interpreting it any other way.
thanks 1 user thanked CalKent for this useful post.
Voxel on 12/15/2021(UTC)
JDSIII  
#980 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2021 7:56:02 AM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Sure sounds like it! Congrats!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed