Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike25  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2021 1:53:10 PM(UTC)
Mike25

Groups: Registered
United States

Ok so I was selected and sent a tentative offer for a wg7 full time position on August 12th. I accepted this job and filled out the necessary onboarding paper work on August 13th. The job is in my same agency but it was a promotion from wg5 part time to wg7 fulltime. I waited over a month and heard nothing. After a month I began emailing the contact on my tentative offer to find out what was going on. I emailed them once a week to ask if there was an update. They (DLA, I work for DoD/DeCA) kept telling me they were working on the terms of employment which seemed weird to me. I read in my agency handbook that for internal hires they should be working their new position with in 2 weeks and in extreme circumstances 30days.

After a month or so of emailing them the contacts supervisor emailed me and told me that my selection was being reviewed and that both the loosing and gaining supervisor were aware. I asked my direct supervisor about it and he had no clue what I was talking about. I asked the gaining supervisor and she said that they were waiting to hear from DLA. I asked DLA if there was a contact of who was handling the review. They said I would have to work with my chain of command. A week later DLA told me that the selection was under review by both DLA and DeCA General counsel. But they would not tell me why or give me any information. Last Friday I emailed my agency's human resources director about all of this to try and find out what the problem was since I was waiting almost 3 months. And the Monday right after I recieve a withdraw of job offer letter. Which states "after relieving additional information the selecting official has requested that the job offer be withdrawn" I ask the person who sent the letter and get no response. I call the contact on the paper and it goes straight to voicemail and no return call until I email the person at DLA that signed the letter which was the person I called supervisor. I was just trying to find our what the "additional information" was. They finally call back and saidbi would need to call the selecting official. Who is listed on my references on my resume as I uses to work with her about 6 years ago. She takes 2 days and emails me back finally and says this:

Unfortunately we were told from DLA that we did not have the manning hours on our book to list it as 40 hrs. They told us we have to utilize some hours from that position towards another. As of right now they dropped that position from our UMD and we are awaiting to see what we could relist the position as. I’m so sorry for everything.

Which makes absolutley no sense after reading the withdraw letter. I returned tovwork about 7 months ago after being out due to 2 injury claims for a total of 3 years. I returned with restrictions however now I have worked myself back 100% with no restrictions prior to accepting this job.

Also the job I got the department I was going to has always had 2 wg7 and 1 wg5 right now they only have 1 wg7 and 1 wg5 so if the wg7 takes a day off they have no coverage. They just hired this job maybe 6 months prior but the lady they hired left already opening this position. I believe the additional information was about my injuries and is discrimination. But there is a problem proving it. Does anyone have any thoughts?
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2021 2:42:54 PM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike25 Go to Quoted Post
I read in my agency handbook that for internal hires they should be working their new position with in 2 weeks and in extreme circumstances 30days.

Generally, this is only for final offer letters. Prior to having one, the offer can basically be withdrawn for any reason. Sounds like someone screwed up somewhere but it wasn't your fault. I'm not sure how much you can really fight it since it isn't a final offer letter.
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2021 2:46:06 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
It sounds like they couldn't justify the position as it was defined and they need to rewrite the PD to include other duties. I didn't see anything in their response that was a dig at you. This is early in the Fiscal Year and funds get shifted around. They are probably under pressure to get the most bang for their buck.

If they relist the position with the new PD then it sounds like you have a good shot at it. If they just wanted to screw you over they could have just selected another candidate.

Good luck
FS0201  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2021 4:04:33 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 322 time(s) in 283 post(s)
Even a firm offer can be rescinded prior to the EOD for a number of reasons. Best thing to do is keep applying and don’t assume anything is solid until you are in the seat.

Edited by user Friday, October 29, 2021 7:00:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Mike25  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2021 4:32:03 PM(UTC)
Mike25

United States

Thanks for the responses. I understand everything everything of what people are saying. It just makes no sense because I know they NEED this position filled. They couldn't just select someone else because when I got a call the day before getting the T.O the other cutter told me it was between me and one other guy and they had 0 experience where as I have over 10+ years of experience and service. I don't understand why the letter says one thing and the lady says a completly different thing. And also how does DLA take the position away from a different agency. It just makes no sense to me.
I have began putting applications in for other agency's as I have about had it with the way my agency does things (favoritisim) and considering I was 9njured while with them they tend to treat you different. But I was just offered a journeyman meat cutter position for a private grocery store. But I don't know if I want to leave government service after so long. They agreed to give me the pay that I would have gotten with this position. Which is also a meat cutter position. I just don't understand this considering they just hired for this position not even 6 months prior.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed