Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VAer1  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 3:33:41 PM(UTC)
VAer1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Many of federal employees will start going back to office early next year, I truly enjoyed the remote opportunity during the pandemic (save time & money on commute). Pandemic has changed society a lot, I have some friends (in private sections) who will remote permanently, since their employers will not rent commercial office space anymore.

I am wondering if there will be any federal agencies significantly reducing office space and planning to offer a lot of remote positions after pandemic?

I really want to have a remote federal position after pandemic.

Thanks.
GRITS  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2021 3:30:18 AM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
HUD employees are able to work 3 days of telework a week but some field office Managers may have chosen to allow only 2 days of telework a week. Most of my coworkers are confident that we will be able to telework up to 4 days a week if not the entire week post pandemic. This is coming from colleagues that have been working for the agency for more than a decade. The only thing left for me to do is wait and see. I personally was happy with teleworking for 3 days a week which is the norm, I will be elated with adding more days.

I included some articles that I came across and maybe this will be helpful to you.

https://www.fedscoop.com...ing-telework-now-beyond/

https://www.federaltimes...rm-telework-eligibility/

https://www.washingtonpo...-34796c7393af_story.html
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2021 5:32:13 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
Telework and remote positions are different animals. In my experience telework policies are set by the agency and each Supervisor decides how much and who can telework. Telework policies can be changed at any time by the agency as happened at my agency.

As for remote work, it's likely to depend on the nature of the work and the type of data they work with. DoD was totally against remote/tele work when I was with them.

Again, I think it's going to be more dependant on the position rathert than the agency.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 4:44:58 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
I'll probably (if still the supervisor) be adjusting my team's telework to up to 4 days a week once we return to site simply to have at least 1 person in the office every day of the week (nature of our work, some people prefer to stop by and talk vs setting up a meeting by email, etc). This is better than the 2 days a week we had prior to the pandemic. Also open to my team working Maxiflex schedules (with the caveat, that they do need to be around/available during core hours the majority of the time). Remote though? Not really possible in my office due to its function. Other offices in my directorate it is perfectly possible due to the type of work they do (such as our data gurus).
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Lovebeauty  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2021 6:24:51 PM(UTC)
Lovebeauty

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi everyone,

This is a general question.

If I forgot to add my hours and salary on my resume, will that automatically disqualify me form a position I applied for?

Any advice is appreciated.
GRITS  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2021 4:17:57 AM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lovebeauty Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

This is a general question.

If I forgot to add my hours and salary on my resume, will that automatically disqualify me form a position I applied for?

Any advice is appreciated.

Required: Employer, location, position title, start and end date, average hours worked per week, responsibilities and accomplishments.
Optional: You may include your supervisor(s) as a reference. Including your salary is also optional and will not exclude your resume from consideration.
It's best to use the USAjobs resume builder to ensure that all required fields are completed which is one less thing you have to think about when applying for jobs. I included the website for additional information.

https://gogovernment.org...ing-your-federal-resume/

Edited by user Saturday, October 30, 2021 4:19:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

King_Fed  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2021 6:39:07 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VAer1 Go to Quoted Post
Many of federal employees will start going back to office early next year, I truly enjoyed the remote opportunity during the pandemic (save time & money on commute). Pandemic has changed society a lot, I have some friends (in private sections) who will remote permanently, since their employers will not rent commercial office space anymore.

I am wondering if there will be any federal agencies significantly reducing office space and planning to offer a lot of remote positions after pandemic?

I really want to have a remote federal position after pandemic.

Thanks.

My agency is all over the place. It depends on the position - if you need access to classified network, for example, you can't telework (as of today... not sure what is in the works), if your SES likes in-person meetings you will be in the office at times, and so on...

Sometimes it might be more complicated than reducing space. If you want to increase staff, but don't have a budget to purchase more office space and hire people, for example, you might have some positions 100% telework, some 50, have permanent seating, and some "hotel" seating (shared desks), etc. I know one large office who made the decision to "hotel/telework" vs. enlarging the office space.

I like telework, but I find it much more draining than being in the office. I work 10, 11, sometimes 12 hours a day so I need to find balance. Heck, not sure I'm pushing more work through from pre-covid, but back then I would drive into the office and work a solid 4 hours on Sunday. The other tricky part is pre-covid I also spent 2 hours on travel each day... I thought working those two hours (since they were "lost" before) would be sustainable.

Recently found out I'm approved for telework 5 days a week (aka 100%) up from one a day week pre-covid.

Many are trying to figure out post-covid...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed