Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sushi90!  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 10:19:11 AM(UTC)
Sushi90!

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I asked for an update regarding a position I interviewed for recently and was told that they are finalizing selections and I will be notified of the decision. Does this mean that they are waiting for other people to accept official offers first and then notifiy me of a rejection or they have yet to send out TO's?

Edited by user Friday, October 22, 2021 10:22:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 10:46:01 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sushi90! Go to Quoted Post
I asked for an update regarding a position I interviewed for recently and was told that they are finalizing selections and I will be notified of the decision. Does this mean that they are waiting for other people to accept official offers first and then notifiy me of a rejection or they have yet to send out TO's?

It could mean anything, I know that doesn't help much.

When I've been on hiring panels, we sorted the applications in a preliminary ranking, interviewed the top tier of those, then each member rated the applicant separately. We'd then get together and discuss our opinions. That may be the stage they are at with your application.

It wasn't unusual for us to take 2-3 weeks to sort things out and come up with a leading candidate.

Hang in there, even if this one doesn't pan out you'll find success.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
Sushi90! on 10/22/2021(UTC)
Sushi90!  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 11:43:55 AM(UTC)
Sushi90!

United States

Thanks for your response. :)
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 3:03:12 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Even after the hiring official submits the selection to HR, it can take HR days to weeks to process it before an offer is sent out. Over the summer, I was contacted by a hiring official with a verbal offer. It was a month before I got the TJO from HR.
saltysugar39  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2021 4:13:40 PM(UTC)
saltysugar39

Thank you very much, everyone. The information on this post was very helpful. Can I ask DaVinci95 and
Endless Summer a question? I have been reading a lot of the posts on Federal soup and it seems like some individuals will receive a call from the hiring manager informing the interviewee that their name was/will be submitted to HR, but according to this post, the hiring manager is not allowed to disclose any information. May I ask, which process is the general norm?

@Sushi90!: Would it be okay if you provide me with an update if you have any news? I am in a similar situation where I was informed that they a selection has been made. Thank you

Edited by user Sunday, October 31, 2021 5:29:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DaVinci95  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2021 3:55:36 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Originally Posted by: saltysugar39 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you very much, everyone. The information on this post was very helpful. Can I ask DaVinci95 and
Endless Summer a question? I have been reading a lot of the posts on Federal soup and it seems like some individuals will receive a call from the hiring manager informing the interviewee that their name was/will be submitted to HR, but according to this post, the hiring manager is not allowed to disclose any information. May I ask, which process is the general norm?

@Sushi90!: Would it be okay if you provide me with an update if you have any news? I am in a similar situation where I was informed that they a selection has been made. Thank you

Normally you aren't told until HR sends out the TJO, because things can happen during HR processing. In my case, I had recently interviewed with the hiring manager for two other positions. When the third position opened up, he contacted me to see if I was still interested.
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
saltysugar39 on 11/1/2021(UTC)
fedelini  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 5:08:37 AM(UTC)

It's very common for the hiring manager to contact selectees and tell them that they've been tentatively selected and that although only HR can make a job offer, we wanted to let you know and see if you are likely to accept, etc. Very common, and some HR offices explicitly advise this, especially for hard to fill fields where you might have a long list of applicants you are willing to hire if the top tier declines.

Some hiring managers will say nothing.

If you've heard from a hiring manager that they are finalizing selections and you will hear something from HR, that's not generally a good sign. If you've heard that same thing from HR, that means nothing - they are probably waiting for the hiring manager to get back to them.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed