Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John Hancock  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 3:48:13 AM(UTC)
John Hancock

Groups: Registered

Hello all....already been in contact with my local Union and local HR....

Need true guidance and information please.

Been in a position for 10 years. Same GS grade. Was on Annual Leave when the Supervisor position, a GS-12 opened. My profile on USAJobs had everything, but an updated SF-50. The one in the system was dated from 2018. They had the position open for 7 days...I did not have access to a Gov computer to log into eOPF to grab a more recent SF-50.

Position closes. I get back to work, email the HR person overseeing that job two of the most recent SF-50's. No reply. 2 weeks ago, get an email, my submission was not referred. Email my Chief, claims nothing can be done. Suggests I go into Teams and message the HR person. She too claims, nothing can be done. Yesterday, it was announced a person was selected. Now this is a position I had been doing for a few years. Previous Supervisor was there, but let me run the department. Not to mention years prior, I have been the lead in the department.

So yesterday, I went to the Union, the rep got our HR Asst Chief on a Teams meeting. They both agreed that me submitting an SF-50 from 2018 wouldn't matter. It still shows time in grade.

After typing all that, I am not after the position. As a Veteran with 10-point preference, it's a slap in the face. I am full of anger, rage and disappointment to work in a department and for an organization that is supposed to promote locally (according to local policy), as well as be an advocate for Veterans.

Anyone know how far I should take this, can take this? Do I have a stake in a big fight? I am under the impression I do. I have another co-worker, who put in for it, almost same situation, and he's in another department. He is so pissed off he is wanting to go as high as he can with his complaint as well as take it to the news station. I told him if he goes that route, I will too.

Thank you all in advance.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 4:18:19 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1183 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John Hancock Go to Quoted Post

Been in a position for 10 years. Same GS grade. Was on Annual Leave when the Supervisor position, a GS-12 opened. My profile on USAJobs had everything, but an updated SF-50. The one in the system was dated from 2018. They had the position open for 7 days...I did not have access to a Gov computer to log into eOPF to grab a more recent SF-50.

Position closes. I get back to work, email the HR person overseeing that job two of the most recent SF-50's. No reply. 2 weeks ago, get an email, my submission was not referred. Email my Chief, claims nothing can be done. Suggests I go into Teams and message the HR person. She too claims, nothing can be done. Yesterday, it was announced a person was selected. Now this is a position I had been doing for a few years. Previous Supervisor was there, but let me run the department. Not to mention years prior, I have been the lead in the department.

So yesterday, I went to the Union, the rep got our HR Asst Chief on a Teams meeting. They both agreed that me submitting an SF-50 from 2018 wouldn't matter. It still shows time in grade.

After typing all that, I am not after the position. As a Veteran with 10-point preference, it's a slap in the face. I am full of anger, rage and disappointment to work in a department and for an organization that is supposed to promote locally (according to local policy), as well as be an advocate for Veterans.

Anyone know how far I should take this, can take this? Do I have a stake in a big fight? I am under the impression I do. I have another co-worker, who put in for it, almost same situation, and he's in another department. He is so pissed off he is wanting to go as high as he can with his complaint as well as take it to the news station. I told him if he goes that route, I will too.

Let's separate a few things.

It appears the announcement was not a DEU announcement (open to all US) so Vet preference does not apply, so that will be a losing argument in any process you attempt to use.

Next, your SF50 from 2018 should have been enough for your application. If the application included it, you should have been referred (as long as your resume was up to snuff). If you did not include it with the application, then you screwed up and should not have been referred. If you did, they should find a way to correct their mistake.

If you wish to file a grievance (especially if they violated the bargaining agreement in some manner), do so.

If you think they didn't refer you due to your military status, then file a USERRA complaint with DoL.

If you feel it is due to another protected category, then file an EEO complaint.

I would not suggest going to the press as they can do nothing for you, expect make some little smoke locally, and cause leadership to dig in and look for any reason to prove you failed to be qualified enough to be referred.

And of you can't get the position, so one of you (at least) will fail in this pursuit...unless your goal is to have them redo the whole process, then you may have a shot at that.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
John Hancock  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 4:58:11 AM(UTC)
John Hancock

SF-50 was filed, resume was updated. I was referred before when the position was open a few years ago. Got down to a second interview, and they placed another coworker from another department in the position. It came out it was political.

The other person who is in same boat didn't even get an interview as well, and was told his resume was forwarded. He too holds the experience and qualifications.

I see the writing on the wall. I've sat silent long enough, but something needs to be done to be corrected. So just looking for my legal options.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 7:56:03 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1183 time(s) in 946 post(s)
SF-50 was filed, resume was updated. I was referred before when the position was open a few years ago. Got down to a second interview, and they placed another coworker from another department in the position. It came out it was political.

The other person who is in same boat didn't even get an interview as well, and was told his resume was forwarded. He too holds the experience and qualifications.

I see the writing on the wall. I've sat silent long enough, but something needs to be done to be corrected. So just looking for my legal options.
I gave your legal options. You simply have to decide which you want to use. And then do it.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
daddythedonkey  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2021 2:02:14 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm going to be brutally honest with you. And, hopefully, you're open to constructive criticism. If, as you say, you're not after the position, then move on. Frankly, you're all over the map. You're full of anger and rage over this? Maybe that has something to do with you not getting the job. Yes, mgmt can rig it so that they can hire who they want . . . and NOT hire who they DON'T want. Those are the breaks. You're not owed anything, despite your veteran status. I'd say the same thing about your coworker. Going to the press because he didn't get an interview? That's delusional. I'm sure it's consistent with his personality, though. Which, again, isn't going to get you promoted. Why would they hire someone with that mentality for a supervisory position? Finally, as a supervisor, you won't be able to run to the union whenever you feel slighted. So, maybe a supervisory role isn't the best fit for you.

FedVAWk  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 9:59:05 PM(UTC)
FedVAWk

United States

Well said Frank - I saw that it was a GS-12.. Poster was applying for a GS-12 while in GS-10. Likely didn't make the certificate if the poster didn't have a year as a 11 or answered the screening question wrong. Might have made it in the past when it was posted at the GS-11/12 level for Assistant Coach but if it was posted as a 12.. the poster is out of luck and should focus on becoming a RVSR then Asst Coach. Recommend the poster focus on getting feedback from hiring manager and ask for detail opportunities... But can be brutally honest that poster is likely not supervisor material based on what he/she has provided in initial comments.
Joe Navy84  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 2:57:00 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

Let’s focus on the one thing as a leader myself caught. To the original poster: you want to be in management, but you didn’t make sure you had your 50 updated in USAJobs at all times? So, you want to manage others and cannot manage yourself? Just what the VA needs is another dumbass that doesn’t know what they’re doing. Get some leadership under your belt and try harder. If you want to succeed, then be proactive.

Not bitter, just a realist!

Peace.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed