Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 9:33:22 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/20/2021(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States

Hi everyone,
I'm currently a term employee with 1.5 years of service. I just want to verify that, if I leave the federal government in the next year or so, would this time count towards my five years' minimum service for FERS annuity? I assume it does and the only way it wouldn't would be if I requested a refund immediately (otherwise, I assume I can leave my payments toward the annuity and not have to do anything with it). Knowing this may impact my decision-making about leaving or staying employed. All the literature says employees can come in and out and have it count, but I want to triple check before I make any decisions.
P.S. Curious if the .5 years counts - as in, I would only need 3.5 more years?
P.P.S. I don't think the term employment matters, but I put that in just in case someone knows something I don't.
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 11:57:00 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2013(UTC)
Posts: 4,585

Thanks: 349 times
Was thanked: 1030 time(s) in 871 post(s)
Yes, your "term" employment should count if you separate from federal service and come back. And even if you request a refund, you can buy that time back later but it could be pricey.

The only think I don't know is how you would document your term service... must be something on the SF-50 but I don't know what to look for. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2021 6:46:04 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/26/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,787

Thanks: 292 times
Was thanked: 605 time(s) in 495 post(s)
On your SF50 look for Block 24:
Tenure- This block indicates the tenure of your position. Codes are defined as follows:
A "1" (Competitive Service) Indicates you are a career employee. You have completed three years of qualifying service and have completed your initial appointment probation. (Excepted Service) indicates you are on a permanent appointment.

A "2" Indicates you are serving in a permanent position with less than three years of qualifying service and may also be serving an initial appointment probation.

A "3" Indicates you are on a temporary, term, or time-limited appointment.


#4 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2021 8:20:36 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2016(UTC)
Posts: 6,172
United States
Location: Midwest

Thanks: 153 times
Was thanked: 1163 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Keep copies of everything you can. Specifically the SF50's. You may need them to prove your time with the government later.
Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people’s money. --Margaret Thatcher
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.050 seconds.