Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gal Friday  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2021 10:02:03 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
If you have the qualifications, does anyone ever get in at 13/14 level ... or is 11 more realistic?

Thank you kindly for your help!

Edited by user Wednesday, November 24, 2021 10:03:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheCapUniverse  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2021 2:11:17 PM(UTC)
TheCapUniverse

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I've known two people who came in at a 14 but they had Lean Six Sigma qualifications. Also, if you have a law degree you can come in at an 11/12/13. So the short answer is yes, but it will require very specialized experience.
thanks 1 user thanked TheCapUniverse for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 11/25/2021(UTC)
whoanotcool  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2021 4:28:11 AM(UTC)
whoanotcool

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Most grade 13/14 revenue agent or analyst positions are not open to the general public.
thanks 1 user thanked whoanotcool for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 11/26/2021(UTC)
Gal Friday  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 8:30:31 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Steps make it confusing ... it looks like a high Step in Grade 11 pays more than starting at a Grade 12, Step 1 ... doesn't make a lot of sense. So when they ask what's the lowest Grade you will accept, if I want a 12, I might just as well put Grade 11 and ask for a high Step, right?

Or do you think if you check 11 as your lowest acceptable Grade, you lose your chance to be offered 12? I don't want to start too low, because unless you get one of those jobs on a track, it looks like it's hard to move up!

Edited by user Saturday, November 27, 2021 8:54:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dubyac  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 9:05:18 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
Steps make it confusing ... it looks like a high Step in Grade 11 pays more than starting at a Grade 12, Step 1 ... doesn't make a lot of sense. So when they ask what's the lowest Grade you will accept, if I want a 12, I might just as well put Grade 11 and ask for a high Step, right?

Or do you think if you check 11 as your lowest acceptable Grade, you lose your chance to be offered 12? I don't want to start too low, because unless you get one of those jobs on a track, it looks like it's hard to move up!

If you are an external hire with no previous experience in federal government, you will almost certainly be hired at step 1 of whatever GS grade you are hired at.

You can ask, sure, but unless you have some specialized skill set, you most likely won't get a higher step.

If the job you are applying for is open for GS 11/12, put in for both.

If you get offered 11, you'll be 12 after a year in most cases.
thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 11/27/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed