Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

33 Pages«<30313233>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CalKent  
#621 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2021 9:41:05 PM(UTC)
CalKent

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WasteAbalone Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: specializedRB Go to Quoted Post
Anybody have any updates or information on ISO 1 at Laguna Niguel? It’s going on 2 months since the Writing Assessment and references were contacted.

Not CSC specific; however, interviews at the VSC were conducted months ago and still nothing.

I know that some federal agencies are waiting to see what happens with the continuing resolution that ends on 12/03 to continue the hiring process because of the gridlock in Congress.

They don't want to schedule hiring actions and then see a possible Government Shutdown like it happened during the end of 2018/beginning of 2019, interfere with their plans.

Following that concern I know of a federal agency that is not USCIS that scheduled start dates for new employees on 11/08/2021 and 01/03/2022, avoiding December altogether because of the continuing resolution concern and also because December is Holiday season and many human resources employees are on vacation or out the whole month with use or lose.

I'm a federal employee waiting for an ISO position so I'm thinking the next EODs for the POD I'm applying for will be January 2022 and thereafter.

I hope the potential shutdown is the reason for the delay. I was starting to wonder if I just wasn’t selected for the position as it’s already going on 2 months since my references were contacted and I know USCIS is fee funded.

I’m also a current fed with another agency, and management at my office has started preparing for a possible shutdown in December as well.

Good luck to everyone who applied and I hope we all hear back sooner than later.

I recently heard that another reason for the delay is the Vaccine Mandate of November 22, 2021. There might be a few employees, current and new, who will not to get vaccinated and could be potentially terminated/not hired if the mandate is not rescinded/amended or they are granted an exemption, (religious of health related). So, additional vacancies can be created by the current employees in the aforementioned situation and it wouldn't had made sense to hire new employees a few weeks ago some of whom could have opted not to be vaccinated and be on the payroll for a few weeks and then quit/get terminated. Since they would get 5 days of counseling after Nov 22, 2 weeks without pay after that if they are still not vaccinated and then potential termination, besides any lawsuits/legal proceedings, that could potentially take the hiring process well into December/January 2022 or later... Hopefully not.

Thanks for the insight. I finished an interview for an ISO position weeks ago and was supposed to hear back over a week ago on their response. I have an "onboarding" tab on the application site now, but of course no confirmation yet... As you can imagine, it's anxiety inducing. Where did you hear the vaccine mandate was part of the delay?
Reinvented  
#622 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2021 9:22:36 AM(UTC)
Reinvented

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Has anyone received a TO or notification for the ISO Mass Hiring for ISO 1 Lee's Summit?

I took the Writing Assessment about 32 days ago. They are usually good at notifications within 30 days of actions taken.

I know this is Thanksgiving week and a lot of federal employees are off and that slows down the hiring process. Also, next week is the end of the current Continuing Resolution (12/3/2021) and this can also be a factor. Agencies might wait to see if the CR is extended, Budget approved or a Shutdown happens.

RIPTikiCat  
#623 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2021 5:38:18 PM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Nope. Not yet at least! Did the writing assessment that day too. Still sitting at BQ- Referred. Couple of people I know who also applied are in the same boat as well.

Edited by user Friday, November 26, 2021 7:50:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typo.

thanks 1 user thanked RIPTikiCat for this useful post.
Reinvented on 11/25/2021(UTC)
WasteAbalone  
#624 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 12:22:35 PM(UTC)
WasteAbalone

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I followed up with the hiring manager about the ISO opening in Laguna Niguel. They let me know that the positions have been filled. Kinda surprising as I had relevant experience and they had requested and contacted my references.

Good luck to everyone else trying to land a ISO position!
Sliohio  
#625 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 4:19:50 AM(UTC)
Sliohio

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Happy to report that just when I already lost hope, I received my EOD out of nowhere for my selection before the hiring freeze started. I have to pinch myself many times to know that it's not a dream.

Good luck to those that are waiting still, hang in there!

@TheBADGUY  
#626 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 3:10:54 PM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I followed up with the hiring manager about the ISO opening in Laguna Niguel. They let me know that the positions have been filled. Kinda surprising as I had relevant experience and they had requested and contacted my references.

Good luck to everyone else trying to land a ISO position!

That is crazy! I have not heard from them since doing the writing assessment in August. Well that sucks, I wonder what they based their decisions on... As my supervisor told me they were contacted as well.
alexjacobson  
#627 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2021 7:40:39 PM(UTC)
alexjacobson

United States

Just received my FO for NEBSC! Starting as ISO 1 in early Jan 2022....been a long hiring process (5 months) so I'm relieved it's over....Let me know if you have any questions

Edited by user Sunday, December 12, 2021 7:41:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Reinvented  
#628 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2021 10:20:46 AM(UTC)
Reinvented

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: alexjacobson Go to Quoted Post
Just received my FO for NEBSC! Starting as ISO 1 in early Jan 2022....been a long hiring process (5 months) so I'm relieved it's over....Let me know if you have any questions

Congratulations!

Can you post a timeline/dates of your hiring process without specifics like: Announcement closing, referral, writing assessment, interview dates, and how you were notified? It can help many who are still waiting.

Thanks & Congrats!

thanks 1 user thanked Reinvented for this useful post.
RIPTikiCat on 12/14/2021(UTC)
RIPTikiCat  
#629 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 3:44:06 PM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

So I applied for an ISO position for the NBC and while under application status it still says "Best Qualified - Referred" The comments next to each GS level have been erased and just say "No comments" whereas before the comments mentioned being referred and being contacted by the info on our resume should they decide to contact. So not super reassuring but at least it shows something is moving along a little I guess!
alexjacobson  
#630 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 4:03:27 PM(UTC)
alexjacobson

United States

Originally Posted by: Nick777 Go to Quoted Post

Congratulations!

Can you post a timeline/dates of your hiring process without specifics like: Announcement closing, referral, writing assessment, interview dates, and how you were notified? It can help many who are still waiting.

Thanks & Congrats!

Timeline:

End of June: posting closed
July: writing assessment, contacted for interviews
August: Interview, referenced contacted
Nov: TO, eQIP, fingerprint, etc...
Dec: EOD dates, FO

On another note, anyone knows how long the background investigation/check will take? and what that consist of?
XFed77  
#631 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2021 9:59:19 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nick777 Go to Quoted Post

Congratulations!

Thanks & Congrats!

Timeline:

End of June: posting closed
July: writing assessment, contacted for interviews
August: Interview, referenced contacted
Nov: TO, eQIP, fingerprint, etc...
Dec: EOD dates, FO

On another note, anyone knows how long the background investigation/check will take? and what that consist of?

Thanks for the timeline!

As a former ISO, and the experience of former ISO coworkers, I can tell you that the BI can take from 3 months to a year, more or less. For me, it was about 6 months. It depends on how many places you've lived, worked, activities you've engaged on, etc. They'll be contacting coworkers, friends, relatives, and talking to them, asking them questions. They will also interview you in person at least once. Just be honest no matter what. Hiding something and then accepting it later can be seen negatively.

Good luck to you!
CalKent  
#632 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2021 11:42:56 AM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Just submitted my eQIP. I have nothing I'm concerned about it my background except for one thing - I had a mental health incident in my past. To be blunt, I had a suicide attempt a few years ago. I stopped myself and sought treatment, and have had no incidents since then. I'm worried that this incident alone could raise issues and preclude me from employment. Does anyone know if this could be a serious roadblock? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
RIPTikiCat  
#633 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2021 8:01:07 PM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

Originally Posted by: CalKent Go to Quoted Post
Just submitted my eQIP. I have nothing I'm concerned about it my background except for one thing - I had a mental health incident in my past. To be blunt, I had a suicide attempt a few years ago. I stopped myself and sought treatment, and have had no incidents since then. I'm worried that this incident alone could raise issues and preclude me from employment. Does anyone know if this could be a serious roadblock? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

If I remember correctly it only asks if you've sought mental health treatment for drug abuse / alcoholism? I don't think they will be concerned unless it was drug related. I'm a contractor so I have a smaller clearance so it may be different for federal employees. Someone else might have better insight. I don’t know if it would hurt your chances greatly but either way the best thing you can do is be honest about it and be ready to explain / back up the fact that you’ve not had an incident since.

On another note: glad you're still with us, friend.

Edited by user Saturday, December 25, 2021 10:19:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mukapuka  
#634 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2021 7:10:35 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
They are concerned about anything you can be blackmailed with.
Like the previous poster asked they want to know if you thought help for alcohol or drug abuse.
The_Star_Card  
#635 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2021 4:48:06 PM(UTC)
The_Star_Card

Woman
United States

Hey guys! After the disease freeze and everything that has happened in the world this past year and a half I remained diligent and continued to apply for ISA and CIS Asst. positions. I had an interview on 12/17, in my city thank goodness. (my references were checked prior to the interview) On Christmas eve, while tracking applications, I noticed an ONBOARDING tab. No forms or eQIP info is in there yet BUT SOMEONE TELL ME ITS A GOOD SIGN... PLEASE?!?!
CalKent  
#636 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2022 9:12:12 PM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Originally Posted by: The_Star_Card Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys! After the disease freeze and everything that has happened in the world this past year and a half I remained diligent and continued to apply for ISA and CIS Asst. positions. I had an interview on 12/17, in my city thank goodness. (my references were checked prior to the interview) On Christmas eve, while tracking applications, I noticed an ONBOARDING tab. No forms or eQIP info is in there yet BUT SOMEONE TELL ME ITS A GOOD SIGN... PLEASE?!?!

I had the same question myself, and I spent weeks agonizing over it, calling USCIS HR at least once a week to see if there was any update. I did in fact receive a tentative offer after about 4-ish weeks I think. Personally, I think it's a good sign, and perhaps a sure indication the offer is coming your way. HR staff was not willing to tell me one way or another if I should take it as a certainty while I was waiting, though one did also say it should be looked upon positively
thanks 1 user thanked CalKent for this useful post.
The_Star_Card on 1/19/2022(UTC)
RIPTikiCat  
#637 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2022 2:20:59 PM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

Originally Posted by: CalKent Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: The_Star_Card Go to Quoted Post

I had the same question myself, and I spent weeks agonizing over it, calling USCIS HR at least once a week to see if there was any update. I did in fact receive a tentative offer after about 4-ish weeks I think. Personally, I think it's a good sign, and perhaps a sure indication the offer is coming your way. HR staff was not willing to tell me one way or another if I should take it as a certainty while I was waiting, though one did also say it should be looked upon positively

Seeing the Onboarding tab definitely seems like a good sign. I hope we all hear something soon!
thanks 1 user thanked RIPTikiCat for this useful post.
The_Star_Card on 1/19/2022(UTC)
RIPTikiCat  
#638 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 2:26:00 PM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

It's still been radio silence ever since completing the writing assessment for the ISO job at NBC. I look at the job dashboard almost daily and I now see that the comments now say "You have not been selected" for both GS5 and GS7. Status still says "Best Qualified- Referred". I should have figured as much. Wonder if they'll send an email telling me the same. I'd like to know what I could have done better, this is the closest I've ever gotten when it comes to the hiring process for a federal position.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 19, 2022 3:42:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Washington Ave  
#639 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2022 10:52:45 AM(UTC)
Washington Ave

United States

Originally Posted by: RIPTikiCat Go to Quoted Post
It's still been radio silence ever since completing the writing assessment for the ISO job at NBC. I look at the job dashboard almost daily and I now see that the comments now say "You have not been selected" for both GS5 and GS7. Status still says "Best Qualified- Referred". I should have figured as much. Wonder if they'll send an email telling me the same. I'd like to know what I could have done better, this is the closest I've ever gotten when it comes to the hiring process for a federal position.

At least you got to do the writing assignment.

Former ISO2 here... Did not even get interviewed and was not emailed the writing assignment.

I guess being ISO2 doesn't qualify me for even an interview as ISO1... haha

Keep applying I see more and more openings. Texas Service Center is open right now.

Moving to CN, and you can't stop me!!!
RIPTikiCat  
#640 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2022 11:30:11 AM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

Originally Posted by: Washington Ave Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RIPTikiCat Go to Quoted Post

At least you got to do the writing assignment.

Former ISO2 here... Did not even get interviewed and was not emailed the writing assignment.

I guess being ISO2 doesn't qualify me for even an interview as ISO1... haha

Keep applying I see more and more openings. Texas Service Center is open right now.

Ugh that sucks! I’m sorry to hear that. I applied for ISO1 at the NSC yesterday but I’ll be honest I am not married to the idea of relocating, so that’s why I was holding out for so long on a job that was already in my vicinity. Beggars can’t be choosers and whatnot though I guess.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed