Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bchoe  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2022 12:14:36 PM(UTC)
Bchoe

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Aloha,

Long range planning for me.

*for reference*
2022 Pay table (GS-13/4)
Hawaii - Base + Locality = 107,562 + 10487(COLA) = 118,049
San Antonio - Base + Locality = 104,873 (No COLA)

I see mixed articles putting Hawaii at OCONUS(but not really OCONUS) Hawaii falls under the category where we receive a COLA adjustment, in this case 9.75% on top of our base pay and locality (20.40) adjustment.

“Hypothetically” if i were to apply, interview, and (T)accept a lateral promotion to San Antonio (locality 17.39%) do i have a case with HR to have my steps adjusted to reflect what i would be making in Hawaii?

Advice is appretiated!

GRITS  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2022 3:26:41 AM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bchoe Go to Quoted Post
Aloha,

*for reference*
2022 Pay table (GS-13/4)

I see mixed articles putting Hawaii at OCONUS(but not really OCONUS) Hawaii falls under the category where we receive a COLA adjustment, in this case 9.75% on top of our base pay and locality (20.40) adjustment.

“Hypothetically” if i were to apply, interview, and (T)accept a lateral promotion to San Antonio (locality 17.39%) do i have a case with HR to have my steps adjusted to reflect what i would be making in Hawaii?

Advice is appretiated!

COLA is there for a reason and asking for an adjustment because you want to relocate to another state isn't normally granted. The cost of living in TX is a lot less expensive than Hawaii and relocating there is essentially a pay increase. Please have a better argument than where you locating to because the gov't already factors that in. Now if it's a job that can't be filled due to the specialization of it and you have the skills that is what you want to negotiate with. Just stay in Hawaii if you want that pay.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2022 4:39:11 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1200 time(s) in 960 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GRITS Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bchoe Go to Quoted Post
Aloha,

*for reference*
2022 Pay table (GS-13/4)

Advice is appretiated!

COLA is there for a reason and asking for an adjustment because you want to relocate to another state isn't normally granted. The cost of living in TX is a lot less expensive than Hawaii and relocating there is essentially a pay increase. Please have a better argument than where you locating to because the gov't already factors that in. Now if it's a job that can't be filled due to the specialization of it and you have the skills that is what you want to negotiate with. Just stay in Hawaii if you want that pay.
On top of this, you won't be paying state income tax in TX vs Hawaii.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
GSBS on 1/27/2022(UTC)
ji_  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2022 11:12:49 AM(UTC)
ji_

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
...accept a lateral promotion to San Antonio...

Which is it, lateral or promotion? These are different.

Regardless, as I understand under merit promotion rules, there will be no negotiation to allow to keep the Hawaii salary. You will lose the COLA, period. For lateral, you will be paid a 13/4 rate in San Antonio. For promotion, the two-step rule applies. But there will be no negotiation.
Bchoe  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2022 1:26:59 PM(UTC)
Bchoe

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Appreciate the catch all. Indeed it is a "LATERAL" and not a "LATERAL PROMOTION"

Thank you all for the insight!
thanks 1 user thanked Bchoe for this useful post.
GSBS on 1/27/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed