Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gal Friday  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2021 1:29:16 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
So does the IRS give its employees a decent laptop or is it some old refurbished one? What kind of processor does it have? I think you need at least an i5 or i7, don't you think?
newb21  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2021 1:51:06 PM(UTC)
newb21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a dell
thanks 1 user thanked newb21 for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 12/17/2021(UTC)
Gal Friday  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2021 5:41:24 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Originally Posted by: newb21 Go to Quoted Post
I have a dell

If you hit the windows button on the bottom left and type "system information" in the box, it will tell you what kind of processor you have. It's going to say Intel something?
leehom  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2021 7:49:34 PM(UTC)
leehom

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Pentium 1, 133mhz with 2mb of ram. Runs dos pretty well!!!
thanks 1 user thanked leehom for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 12/17/2021(UTC)
Catspajamas1811  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2021 5:33:37 AM(UTC)
Catspajamas1811

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
HP probook 640 g5
Toytoy77  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2021 9:20:53 AM(UTC)
Toytoy77

Woman
United States

I received a dell. We were supposed to be issued a separate monitor too but we have not yet! They stated monitors are on back order.
Foggy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2021 5:01:04 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
HP with an i5. Says Probook on it and has maybe around 13 inch screen. I dont know if mine is new or refurbished but I do know some are refurbished.
scottyd27  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2021 9:00:47 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Lately it’s been a Dell.

What difference does it make what processor it has? It’ll run the programs you need
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
TheCapUniverse on 2/14/2022(UTC)
Gal Friday  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2021 1:00:51 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Lately it’s been a Dell.

What difference does it make what processor it has? It’ll run the programs you need

It seems that way, but it will be like my old computer at work. It will start out okay, but as it heats up it will start to slow down and then start freezing and crashing!
Navy Bubblehead  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2021 5:18:55 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Views messages in topic : 1,354

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MJE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: leehom Go to Quoted Post
Pentium 1, 133mhz with 2mb of ram. Runs dos pretty well!!!

You got ripped. I got a Compaq Presario 2100. Pentium 4M w/448MB DDRSD Ram @ 266MHz. Full Tilt! Pinball plays so smooth.

Are you guys serious? I have an HP Probook 640 with an i5-1135G7 @2.40Ghz. 16GB of RAM.

How are you functioning?
thanks 1 user thanked Navy Bubblehead for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 12/21/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2021 9:08:39 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
Lately it’s been a Dell.

It seems that way, but it will be like my old computer at work. It will start out okay, but as it heats up it will start to slow down and then start freezing and crashing!

You’ll be fine. This is my 3rd computer. It’s the little dell. I have no idea what it runs. It just does what I need it to do mostly all the time.

You’re not getting an alien gear gaming nerd system.
Gal Friday  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2021 9:17:44 AM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Lately it’s been a Dell.

You’ll be fine. This is my 3rd computer. It’s the little dell. I have no idea what it runs. It just does what I need it to do mostly all the time.

Windows 11 has the most security and is now the standard for most firms. Windows 11 has minimum hardware requirements ... sounds like they are giving most employees a computer that won't even run Windows 11 ... sheesh!
dubyac  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2021 1:12:09 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Lately it’s been a Dell.

Windows 11 has the most security and is now the standard for most firms. Windows 11 has minimum hardware requirements ... sounds like they are giving most employees a computer that won't even run Windows 11 ... sheesh!

When I started in 2018 my computer still ran with Windows 8, and only a year later did it get Windows 10. We aren't running Windows 11 and probably won't be for years. You should consider lowering your expectations.
thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 12/26/2021(UTC)
teeeeej  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2021 9:09:28 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MJE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toytoy77 Go to Quoted Post
I received a dell. We were supposed to be issued a separate monitor too but we have not yet! They stated monitors are on back order.

I’m assuming we can use our own monitor for now? I was only told no wireless accessories which is a bummer as it would have been nice to use my current keyboard/mouse instead of the tethered items they sent with the dock but I understand.

I believe you should be using your laptop screen until you get a government provided monitor.
scottyd27  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2021 10:25:53 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Lately it’s been a Dell.

You need to lower you expectations and chill out.

You’re equipment is purchased from the lowest bidder. If you want top notch equipment might I suggest working in the private sector.

What you get does what you need it to do.

Security is different with govt. we have our own security and encryption programs.

Focus more on learning to be an RO than the equipment.
leehom  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2021 8:38:29 PM(UTC)
leehom

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Lately it’s been a Dell.

You’re equipment is purchased from the lowest bidder. If you want top notch equipment might I suggest working in the private sector.

Security is different with govt. we have our own security and encryption programs.

buuuuuuuut how can she do her job properly with an outdated laptop running outdated software???

No joke, I worked at a company recently where Peachtree was from 2006 and the computer was over ten years old.
thanks 1 user thanked leehom for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 12/30/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#17 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2021 4:00:09 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: leehom Go to Quoted Post
Lately it’s been a Dell.

buuuuuuuut how can she do her job properly with an outdated laptop running outdated software???

No joke, I worked at a company recently where Peachtree was from 2006 and the computer was over ten years old.

Same way the rest of us do. Tapping on the buttons.
Hired 2015  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2022 7:30:52 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
So does the IRS give its employees a decent laptop or is it some old refurbished one? What kind of processor does it have? I think you need at least an i5 or i7, don't you think?

I still have an old emachine that runs great with windows 3.1 loaded and some great old games. I bought it used from a public school surplus sale. Yes it takes 3.5in floppy disks and has old school dial up modem.

The new computers just aren't as fun. Its a work computer that is about the work.
cs79  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2022 5:33:37 AM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 34 post(s)
My work laptop was taking over 15 mins to boot up. It started having other issues with security and would lock up randomly. I took it in and they replaced it. It now boots faster but it is still slow to compile my applications and has a smaller HD, 250GB. They put in 16GB ram not too long ago and it helped. With all my applications running it takes about 10 GB of ram.
GWPDA  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2022 6:24:59 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 600 time(s) in 492 post(s)
If your CPU is regularly crashing, extraordinarily slow to boot or has a variety of other problems interfering with the machine's operation, the chances are good it's been infected with malware of some kind. If you have any kind of IT support get the machine diagnosed and the problem dealt with. The custom at DA was to simply re-image the machine, which works well enough, but be aware that you'll lose any special settings or stored material. You need to pro-actively work to ensure re-infection does not take place.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed