Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
knottywood  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2022 8:13:33 AM(UTC)
knottywood

Groups: Registered
United States

My position is Schedule A, Excepted Service with a 3 year probationary period. My offer includes the following that I do not fully understand and would appreciate insight to what it means.

"Upon satisfactorily completion of 2 years of substantially continuous service you may be non-competitively converted to a career-conditional appointment"
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2022 10:59:56 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: knottywood Go to Quoted Post
My position is Schedule A, Excepted Service with a 3 year probationary period. My offer includes the following that I do not fully understand and would appreciate insight to what it means.

"Upon satisfactorily completion of 2 years of substantially continuous service you may be non-competitively converted to a career-conditional appointment"

I did not have a Schedule A Excepted position, yet I also had a 3 year probation period. After 2 years I was Career Conditional, and after the 3rd year I became Career. Seems too long?
knottywood  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2022 11:36:48 AM(UTC)
knottywood

United States

so does that mean my position can transfer from Excepted Service into Competitive at the 2 year mark?
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2022 1:52:13 PM(UTC)
GSBS

so does that mean my position can transfer from Excepted Service into Competitive at the 2 year mark?
I would say that depends where you are transferring?

"If you're in the excepted service and your agency has an Interchange Agreement, you may be eligible to move to another job in the competitive service".

frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2022 5:01:21 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
If the position would otherwise be competitive service, yes.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2022 5:07:31 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 121 post(s)

The "trial period" is two years. The position may or may not transition from excepted service to competitive service after two years. After three years you go from career-conditional to career.

Or in other words, easy to walk you out the door for the first two years, not so much so between year two and year three, and after year three you are set for life...
FS0201  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2022 7:45:59 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 282 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
Or in other words, easy to walk you out the door for the first two years, not so much so between year two and year three, and after year three you are set for life...

I have lost count of the number of successful removals of career employees that I have advised on. While there are processes to follow and appeal rights, it is not all that difficult.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
GSBS  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2022 11:06:41 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

I have lost count of the number of successful removals of career employees that I have advised on. While there are processes to follow and appeal rights, it is not all that difficult.
I went on D.R. and soon after my agency promoted my Spanish speaking group to GS 12's. I have no reason to believe that I wouldn't of been RIF'd or eliminated. One of my first questions when I was hired was why hire me? A few hundred Federal employees with just a handful that spoke English~
djp  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2022 7:59:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 173 post(s)

It means you automatically shift from excepted service to competitive service like regular job holders. It’s a good thing.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed