Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Luisrodr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2022 7:37:59 AM(UTC)
Luisrodr

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all I am writing this for some assistance I'm in a real bad bind.

I left the VA for the CDC over a month ago went from a GS-6 to a Gs-11 based on my experience from the public sector prior to joining the federal government. The Friday before my start date I received a rescinded offer letter. After speaking with CDC Hr they informed me this was an issue as better qualified veterans were looked over. I myself am a veteran (General under Honorable conditions) they hired me as 30 day emergency hire in doing so I lost all my leave from the VA SL and AL as well losing benefits for my family. I reached out to the CDC HR and was informed I would be able to re-add the benefits once they put me into a term position. Yesterday afternoon I was informed by HR that they would be able to extend me for another 30 days but there was no guarantee I would be placed. They instructed me to contact my previous employer (VA) to see if I could get my position back which has already been filled.

Does anyone have any advice on anything that I can do ? (This will be the first and last time I take an NTE position)
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2022 11:21:34 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 322 time(s) in 283 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Luisrodr Go to Quoted Post

I left the VA for the CDC over a month ago went from a GS-6 to a Gs-11 based on my experience from the public sector prior to joining the federal government. The Friday before my start date I received a rescinded offer letter. After speaking with CDC Hr they informed me this was an issue as better qualified veterans were looked over. I myself am a veteran (General under Honorable conditions) they hired me as 30 day emergency hire in doing so I lost all my leave from the VA SL and AL as well losing benefits for my family. I reached out to the CDC HR and was informed I would be able to re-add the benefits once they put me into a term position. Yesterday afternoon I was informed by HR that they would be able to extend me for another 30 days but there was no guarantee I would be placed. They instructed me to contact my previous employer (VA) to see if I could get my position back which has already been filled.

Does anyone have any advice on anything that I can do ? (This will be the first and last time I take an NTE position)

Not much to offer, it sounds like a real cluster.

1. Contact your previous supervisor/HR and see whether they are open to you coming back (whether previous or different position). I’d be open to anything and not try to hold onto current grade.
2. Ask current HR about any other opportunities that you may be eligible for with CDC.
3. Apply for jobs you are eligible for on USAJobs.gov.
4. Reach out to others you may know who have the ability to either hire for vacant positions, make referrals, or at least point you toward potential positions.

Edited by user Thursday, February 24, 2022 11:25:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Luisrodr  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2022 11:42:10 AM(UTC)
Luisrodr

United States

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Luisrodr Go to Quoted Post

Not much to offer, it sounds like a real cluster.

1. Contact your previous supervisor/HR and see whether they are open to you coming back (whether previous or different position). I’d be open to anything and not try to hold onto current grade.
2. Ask current HR about any other opportunities that you may be eligible for with CDC.
3. Apply for jobs you are eligible for on USAJobs.gov.
4. Reach out to others you may know who have the ability to either hire for vacant positions, make referrals, or at least point you toward potential positions.

100 percent a cluster. Just got off the phone with HR and was informed they extended me for another 30 days while they try to help me out to get me stay for the year. Would I be able to lateral over to an GS-11 or maybe a GS-9? I've already started applying for jobs yesterday with closing dates soon. My main worry is being out of employment if the CDC doesn't keep me on or another agency takes its time in hiring which would be all agencies lol
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2022 1:25:40 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 375 time(s) in 326 post(s)
Didn't anybody warn or advise you before making this type of career changing decision?

Not To Exceed - This usually refers to a time limit for a position being filled such as a temporary position NTE 30 days, or a Term position NTE 4 Years (See Temporary Appointment and Term Appointment). Open. Usually refers to the status of a job posting
Luisrodr  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2022 12:40:24 PM(UTC)
Luisrodr

United States

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Didn't anybody warn or advise you before making this type of career changing decision?

Not To Exceed - This usually refers to a time limit for a position being filled such as a temporary position NTE 30 days, or a Term position NTE 4 Years (See Temporary Appointment and Term Appointment). Open. Usually refers to the status of a job posting

It was listed as a NTE 13 months with the option to add an additional 3 years. I was initially hired on as a 30 day emergency hire so HR could fix whatever was going on. I am now being told as of yesterday they should have everything fixed in 2 weeks but they continue to give me non comital jargon which as father and husband scares the hell out of me
Rss Feed  Atom Feed