Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jakeabambo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2022 10:51:18 AM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hello Everyone,

I recently got offered a job for an ND3 position as a computer science engineer from a command I am rotating with. As of now, I am a GS11 putting on GS12 in August. If I accept, the plan would be to convert me the day I put on GS12. I am ignorant of what being an ND employee entails other than potentially better pay. When talking to the direct hiring manager, they commented during a meeting that GS employees would fight to stay GS compared to moving to ND. Is there something I am not considering? I always thought NDs were a better pay scale to retain technical experts because of their bonuses and ability to give better pay increases.

I have my CISSP and will be obtaining my doctorate in cybersecurity in a year. I am committed to being as technical and as decorated as possible in my field. Is this a good pay scale for me? When I got my bachelor's, master's, and cissp, the GS payscale pretty much gave me a handshake and told me to get back to work. Is this the same on the ND side?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2022 2:47:02 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jakeabambo Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently got offered a job for an ND3 position as a computer science engineer from a command I am rotating with. As of now, I am a GS11 putting on GS12 in August. If I accept, the plan would be to convert me the day I put on GS12. I am ignorant of what being an ND employee entails other than potentially better pay. When talking to the direct hiring manager, they commented during a meeting that GS employees would fight to stay GS compared to moving to ND. Is there something I am not considering? I always thought NDs were a better pay scale to retain technical experts because of their bonuses and ability to give better pay increases.

I have my CISSP and will be obtaining my doctorate in cybersecurity in a year. I am committed to being as technical and as decorated as possible in my field. Is this a good pay scale for me? When I got my bachelor's, master's, and cissp, the GS payscale pretty much gave me a handshake and told me to get back to work. Is this the same on the ND side?
No clue whether the ND payband covers GS11/12 or GS12/13 or something wider. The advantage of paybands is if you are really good, and the leadership recognizes that, then you can get decent pay raises every year (nothing compared to private sector though) when compared to GS. HOWEVER, as you get closer to the top of the band, the raises slow down. And if you aren't being recognized by your leadership as a high performer, the raises are not so great.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Jakeabambo on 3/3/2022(UTC)
GSBS  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2022 6:16:43 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Couldn't find anything on the ND 03:

The ND-4 pay band encompasses positions equivalent to GS-12 and GS-13; the ND-5 pay band encompasses positions equivalent to GS-14 and GS-15.

https://imgur.com/a/Z4a1AUj

Edited by user Saturday, March 5, 2022 7:57:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jakeabambo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2022 6:58:07 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

I was asking about the pay band. He gave me a command regulation showing ND 3 spans over GS 12, 13, 14. I was able to find this online as well. Did ND change recently, or do commands have different ND equivalents?

Picture:
https://s3.amazonaws.com.../original.png?1574104810

A document published in 2021:
https://www.federalregis...el-demonstration-project

Edited by user Friday, March 4, 2022 9:01:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: To add publication and correct pay equivalent

FS0201  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2022 7:01:59 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 282 post(s)
When talking to the direct hiring manager, they commented during a meeting that GS employees would fight to stay GS compared to moving to ND.

I don’t know anything about this pay band, but you should follow up on this comment and see what was intended - particularly if you can’t find a pay scale for the band.

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
Jakeabambo on 3/4/2022(UTC)
Jakeabambo  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2022 9:09:28 AM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
When talking to the direct hiring manager, they commented during a meeting that GS employees would fight to stay GS compared to moving to ND.

I don’t know anything about this pay band, but you should follow up on this comment and see what was intended - mainly if you can’t find a pay scale for the band.

I plan to talk with them sometime next week. I have a meeting with their director for the position. Maybe that comment came out wrong or hit my ears in a bad way.

Since no one here is telling me there are no major red flags from leaving GS to ND. I think it was him letting off steam, maybe about not hiring internally for the position. He and one other person is the engineer for the whole command, so getting someone to fill the position laterally would mean them leaving their comfort zone to a more engineering-based role, and not everyone wants that work environment.

My main concern now is how different the ND payscale he provided me is compared to what everyone else has told me. I posted a link of the scale, and their command's 2021 documentation which states pay and compensation of ND-3 IS 12, 13, 14 equivalent. Everyone else is saying it is 9, 10, and 11...

Edited by user Friday, March 4, 2022 6:00:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2022 2:45:16 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1029 time(s) in 870 post(s)
Here's a pay band question that is a little off topic but still relevant (I think): when the annual pay raise comes around, how does that affect pay banded employees?

I would imagine that the bands adjust, but does the employee get a salary adjustment at the beginning of the year, in addition to any annual raise?
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 2 users thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
Jakeabambo on 3/4/2022(UTC), FS0201 on 3/4/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed