Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

12 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hmmmm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2022 8:44:38 AM(UTC)
Hmmmm

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 20 post(s)
There is a new announcement that just posted open until the end of the FY. GL-7 and GL-9.

www.usajobs.gov/job/634575800

Edited by user Wednesday, February 2, 2022 8:45:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TXofc92  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2022 5:31:44 AM(UTC)
TXofc92

Man
United States

Thanks for posting. I'm currently a GL-7 for BOP in Tx. I have a BA in Criminal justice and took some additional courses in business, (not as many as the post states), after I had graduated but life caused me to step away from the schoolwork. However, I own a business doing bookkeeping and other accounting services (non-tax), and have 6 years experience in law enforcement, all corrections. I'm already looking into taking more courses to satisfy the requirement, but would I have any chance without them, just using the experience and education I already have? I saw one of the questions in the questionnaire stated "I have a BA and experience..." then the next one I was able to choose "I have at least 1 year of experience in a corrections position." I didn't realize this position even existed and the fact that it allows opportunity to obtain a GS-13 after only 4 years of service, that's much better than the plan I had here. Any feedback is appreciated.
Catspajamas1811  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2022 6:30:43 AM(UTC)
Catspajamas1811

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
For experience to qualify you per the job posting: this experience must have been acquired in investigative work related to the ACCOUNTING OR AUDITING OF BUSINESS OR COMMERCIAL PRACTICES OF SUBJECTS INVESTIGATED.

They’ve stated several times on the information sessions that a majority of people don’t qualify on experience and have to rely on education. Education you have to have the accounting credits.

There’s another virtual information session tomorrow at 4 pm EST if you are interested. You can register on the IRS career page.

Edited by user Monday, February 7, 2022 8:12:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Catspajamas1811 for this useful post.
TXofc92 on 2/7/2022(UTC)
Hmmmm  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2022 7:37:19 AM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Yeah I would check out the info session if you can. I've only known a few qualified by experience. Most were 1811 white collar investigators wanting out of their previous agency.
thanks 1 user thanked Hmmmm for this useful post.
TXofc92 on 2/7/2022(UTC)
TXofc92  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2022 10:16:32 AM(UTC)
TXofc92

Man
United States

I appreciate the responses. I noticed that part but was hopeful when I saw answer choices for others. I'm working on getting the education side wrapped up then. At least I have some time 😅
Cisa  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 3:18:16 PM(UTC)
Cisa

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Qualifying on experience alone can be done. Two in my class did. Neither had ANY accounting credits. One was an prior 1811, one was not.
thanks 1 user thanked Cisa for this useful post.
2123_Actual on 2/10/2022(UTC)
Cue77  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 5:54:15 PM(UTC)
Cue77

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TXofc92 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for posting. I'm currently a GL-7 for BOP in Tx. I have a BA in Criminal justice and took some additional courses in business, (not as many as the post states), after I had graduated but life caused me to step away from the schoolwork. However, I own a business doing bookkeeping and other accounting services (non-tax), and have 6 years experience in law enforcement, all corrections. I'm already looking into taking more courses to satisfy the requirement, but would I have any chance without them, just using the experience and education I already have? I saw one of the questions in the questionnaire stated "I have a BA and experience..." then the next one I was able to choose "I have at least 1 year of experience in a corrections position." I didn't realize this position even existed and the fact that it allows opportunity to obtain a GS-13 after only 4 years of service, that's much better than the plan I had here. Any feedback is appreciated.

Keep grinding brother- I was BOP for thirteen years, than ATF, and now DHS. I have a bachelors and an MBA and every time I apply to the IRS somehow I don’t qualify. 😂 BOP doesn’t get the respect or credit from other LEO agencies because were not 1811’s but IMO it’s one of the toughest jobs out there. Dealing with inmates and that environment isn’t for the faint of heart. You don’t have a weapon and 9 out of 10 times your working a housing unit by yourself outnumbered by inmates.. expected to do the impossible. Hats off to ya.

My brother works for the IRS and qualifying on experience can be done. My brother worked for JP Morgan Chase prior to working for the IRS and had a degree in history. Go figure. He made it though.. loved the job but it’s tough.. very challenging because of the tax laws. Not an easy thing to decipher.

Good luck! Keep grinding and stay safe.
thanks 1 user thanked Cue77 for this useful post.
TXofc92 on 2/10/2022(UTC)
BF3FAN1  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2022 7:41:53 AM(UTC)
BF3FAN1

United States

Has anyone heard anything back since applying? I finished the online assessment on 02/04/2022.
Wellwellwell  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2022 3:58:35 PM(UTC)
Wellwellwell

United States

Originally Posted by: BF3FAN1 Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone heard anything back since applying? I finished the online assessment on 02/04/2022.

I took mine on 2-24-22 and nothing either. Does it still show the link to take the online assessment on your application page? Mine is still there but just redirects to the application page.
BF3FAN1  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2022 7:23:47 PM(UTC)
BF3FAN1

United States

Originally Posted by: Wellwellwell Go to Quoted Post

I took mine on 2-24-22 and nothing either. Does it still show the link to take the online assessment on your application page? Mine is still there but just redirects to the application page.

I don’t believe mine does anymore but I did have a notification that the assessment was complete. I initially had the same issue, but I emailed and they confirmed that my assessment was complete.
Wellwellwell  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2022 4:45:47 AM(UTC)
Wellwellwell

United States

I don’t believe mine does anymore but I did have a notification that the assessment was complete. I initially had the same issue, but I emailed and they confirmed that my assessment was complete.

Who did you email? I emailed the covingtonpersonnel1@irs.gov last week and have not heard back.
BF3FAN1  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2022 4:49:22 AM(UTC)
BF3FAN1

United States

Who did you email? I emailed the covingtonpersonnel1@irs.gov last week and have not heard back.

Sorry, I should have clarified more in my response. I submitted a ticket to the USAJobs help desk. They confirmed that I had successfully completed the assessment and that scores would eventually be released.
Wellwellwell  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2022 5:42:46 AM(UTC)
Wellwellwell

United States

Oh I got you. Thanks. That was helpful. I submitted a ticket and they said that my assessment was complete. I will post on here when I hear more. Thanks again.

Sorry, I should have clarified more in my response. I submitted a ticket to the USAJobs help desk. They confirmed that I had successfully completed the assessment and that scores would eventually be released.

Memberthatoneguy  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 6:58:53 AM(UTC)
Memberthatoneguy

United States

Has anybody heard anything back? I finished the phase 1 assessment on 2/25!
goldscca  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 10:57:32 AM(UTC)
goldscca

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Memberthatoneguy Go to Quoted Post

It will probably be another week or two. I applied for the December job posting. I took my Competency Assessment on 12/08/2021 and did not get the email saying I was tentatively eligible until 01/04/2022. After that it took another couple of weeks (01/27/2022) before I was invited to take the KASE. I took the KASE 02/01/2022 and still have not received my results as of today (03/15/2022).
BF3FAN1  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 11:59:40 AM(UTC)
BF3FAN1

United States

Have not heard back anything yet. It doesn’t seem like anyone has from this posting so far.
Memberthatoneguy  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 12:02:01 PM(UTC)
Memberthatoneguy

United States

Thanks! I just saw that there is an internal announcement as well. I was told to go ahead and apply for that one too, but I don’t qualify for GS-11. I still have 6 months of federal service before I would qualify for it. Just getting anxious to hear something back at this point!
BF3FAN1  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 12:05:50 PM(UTC)
BF3FAN1

United States

Thanks! I just saw that there is an internal announcement as well. I was told to go ahead and apply for that one too, but I don’t qualify for GS-11. I still have 6 months of federal service before I would qualify for it. Just getting anxious to hear something back at this point!

Someone in one of the other threads said that they are going to pull the first batch of applications sometime in March. They also said that they’re still working on 2021s so they may be behind. I’m very anxious too I just want to hear back be it good news or bad news.
Memberthatoneguy  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 12:12:24 PM(UTC)
Memberthatoneguy

United States

I didn’t pass the first assessment last time. Granted, I owe that to being in college and not having really any life experience. I feel way better about it this time. I’m a RA right now, but want to convert to CI!
BF3FAN1  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 12:27:26 PM(UTC)
BF3FAN1

United States

I didn’t pass the first assessment last time. Granted, I owe that to being in college and not having really any life experience. I feel way better about it this time. I’m a RA right now, but want to convert to CI!

I’m scared about that assessment I feel like I did good but who really knows. I thought there was a bunch of potentially correct answers.

If you don’t mind me asking when you didn’t pass the assessment the first time did you still find out after about a month or so?

Thanks,
Rss Feed  Atom Feed