Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mr.Nobody  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2022 7:47:28 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Have GEHA HDHP, and the Rx part is through CVS caremark. Recently had to start taking some medication to control bp, so I'm quite new on the entire Rx drug cost issue. My health insurance's Rx drug portion is handled by CVS caremark.

I have easy access to Giant/Safeway pharmacy as well as CVS store, walmart not too far away either. My impression has been that the grocery stores' pricing generally is cheaper than CVS (at least for the everyday stuff).

Once a doctor told me that Walmart generally has lowest price for medication (no insurance scenario). I used Caremark's price cost tool to compare my medication (90 day, in store pickup) and found out that walmart and Giant pharmacy showed the same price but CVS store shows only about half the price, but neither price seems to be matching what I paid at Walmart (my receipt for 30 day generic drug supply is $90, and after insurance I paid $0.9, but from caremark tool, 90day supply same drug is $400 at walmart and giant, but $200 at local CVS)

Is that the case when I'm using Caremark for Rx drug from health insurance that I get best price at CVS for drugs? Thanks a lot.
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2022 9:08:35 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 375 time(s) in 326 post(s)
I take generic blood pressure medicine, and it's running me $3 for a 90-day supply. Some plans charge $10 for a 30 day supply. Each plan is different, and FEHB drug prices sometimes can be beat by using Good Rx, Single care or one of those discount cards. If it's not generic, it could be quite costly.
Tanker1497  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2022 3:34:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've been using Walgreens for some time now. They use to be my Specialty Pharmacy but I think several Federal plans grouped up with one. This happens to be CVS Specialty Pharmacy. One of my tier 5 drugs is not generic and is 12k a month!
If you check Good Rx on any of your meds it will show you the cost at non insurance prices at other pharmacies. This will give you a ball park of what the rates are. Not saying to use Good Rx when you have insurance, but its an eye opener to see one med 15 dollars or more at one place then another.
I do use Good Rx for over the counter meds that were scripted to me and the savings was more than half of shelf prices.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2022 5:43:18 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 605 time(s) in 495 post(s)
"Is that the case when I'm using Caremark for Rx drug from health insurance that I get best price at CVS for drugs?"

I have GEHA/Caremark as well, but only use Caremark for meds that can benefit from the 90 day and delivery allowance - in that case the cost seems to be quite competitive. However, one of my prescriptions requires refrigeration and thus, in Arizona really can't be delivered into my mailbox - that one I buy at my local Safeway and for it as well I use a pharmaceutical discount certificate which brings down the Caremark price from $500 for 90 days to $50 for 90 days. I tried to fill it thru CVS but CVS was unable to understand that GEHA is NOT "government insurance" and would not accept the discount certificate (which does not cover "government insurance" submissions - presumably Medicare and Medicaid). Some of my Caremark meds are generic but one is not, but that one is still competitively priced. Simply put, since you're not mandated to obtain GEHA prescriptions thru Caremark, determine for yourself where to file the prescriptions and instruct your prescriber accordingly.
GSBS  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2022 10:22:01 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 375 time(s) in 326 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
"Is that the case when I'm using Caremark for Rx drug from health insurance that I get best price at CVS for drugs?"

I have GEHA/Caremark as well, but only use Caremark for meds that can benefit from the 90 day and delivery allowance - in that case the cost seems to be quite competitive. However, one of my prescriptions requires refrigeration and thus, in Arizona really can't be delivered into my mailbox - that one I buy at my local Safeway and for it as well I use a pharmaceutical discount certificate which brings down the Caremark price from $500 for 90 days to $50 for 90 days. I tried to fill it thru CVS but CVS was unable to understand that GEHA is NOT "government insurance" and would not accept the discount certificate (which does not cover "government insurance" submissions - presumably Medicare and Medicaid). Some of my Caremark meds are generic but one is not, but that one is still competitively priced. Simply put, since you're not mandated to obtain GEHA prescriptions thru Caremark, determine for yourself where to file the prescriptions and instruct your prescriber accordingly.
Good post! The FEHB is considered a Government plan or so I was told at multiple retailers, the fine print is clear on the coupon. I made a few thousand dollars before I was effectively banned nationwide at CVS, they changed my name ( long story, found out a couple of years later). All the coupons say the same thing, "Coupon offers are not valid and must not be honored for prescriptions paid for in whole or in part by state and or federal health care programs. These programs include Medicare, Medicaid and TriCare. Coupons also are void where prohibited by law.

OPM says this:

As an FEHB Program enrollee, am I allowed to participate in pharmacy sponsored incentive programs such as prescription discount copay cards or store rewards cards?
Yes. OPM does not prohibit FEHB members from participating in pharmacy-sponsored incentive or pharmaceutical company co-pay reimbursement programs, and we are unaware of any Federal laws restricting participation. Enrollees in other Federal Programs such as Medicare and Medicaid are statutorily prohibited from participating in pharmacy incentive programs under section 1320a-7b of title 42, United States Code (the Anti-Kickback Act). However, the FEHB Program is exempt from the application of this provision.

OPM does not have authority over promotional incentive programs retail pharmacies choose to offer its customers, and OPM cannot direct retail pharmacies to provide the incentives to FEHB Program members. We are working with FEHB Program plans to remove any restrictions.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 23, 2022 1:20:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed