Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sararen  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2022 9:44:55 AM(UTC)
sararen

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello, all. I have a family member who will be receiving bariatric surgery and I need to make sure I elect the insurance policy that will provide the most coverage for this surgery. I do not visit doctors much so I don't have much experience interpreting the language used by the companies. Does anyone have any experience with this and what was your insurance and final cost?
OUtside  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 9:19:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 52 post(s)
If I were in this situation of selecting a health plan particularly one with a certain type of care in mind, I would look into the Checkbook Guide to Open Season for Federal Employees. Many agencies make it available to their employees and it is also available on line for a modest fee.

It would be a matter of selecting a small number of plans with lower cost estimates and higher ratings that seemed to fit my criteria and then zeroing in on the specific type of care you mentioned as discussed in the plan brochures, which are easily searched on screen. You may have to call the plans you are interested to obtain clarification of what is discussed in brochure. To review the Guide estimates for the various fehb plans requires making a judgment expecting low, average, or high expenses for the coming year. With the type of surgery mentioned here, I think the category high expenses should be considered.

I'm not too familiar with that type of surgery, if someone knowing more about it posts to this thread in future, I would be interested in what they have to say but would still use the Checkbook Guide as a valuable reference in conjunction with that information. Just one reason would be this: suppose the posting says they know firsthand how a plan worked with that surgery and they were happy with it, but on the other hand, the Checkbook reference says that overall member experiences give the plan low satisfaction ratings, I would want to know that before enrolling in that plan.

Edited by user Monday, April 18, 2022 9:21:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GSBS  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 11:20:14 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 375 time(s) in 326 post(s)
I would find a plan that offers the highest benefits available, usually a more expensive plan. You can always switch plans later to a budget plan. I found this for Blue Cross Blue Shield. Interesting reading, and keep in mind that pre-approval is required. Also benefits vary from State to State. A routine blood work test is $1200 at my local Hospital, and $300 at the Arizona Hospital 10 miles away

https://obesityreporter....blue-cross-requirements/
CRJ@vet  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 2:44:01 PM(UTC)
CRJ@vet

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Good day,

Sent you private message. I’m a federal employee currently out for sleeve surgery. I can help with some questions.

Thanks
thanks 1 user thanked CRJ@vet for this useful post.
GSBS on 4/18/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed