Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SweetHarmony  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2022 1:25:13 AM(UTC)
SweetHarmony

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I've read online that there was/is a 15 day period, once per year, when we can opt out of paying dues. This shows up in many articles online right now because the Union was fighting The Federal Labor Relations Authority's (FLRA) proposal to make it easier for feds to cancel automatic union dues. I found form sf1188 and read (on OPM I think) that it should be submitted before pp15. I found another link that says it goes to labor relations but it didn't saw how. I found a few articles online from July 2020 saying the FLRAs rule to make it easier already went into effect last summer (link below) but the union is challenging it. Can anyone guide me on if I can submit sf1188 right now? Or if I have to wait until a certain date? And where I send it too? I can't find one person who has successfully done this and have not received a response from the union.

https://www.shrm.org/res...-workers-union-dues.aspx
kitkatma  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2022 8:16:03 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Per the union contract you need to submit SF-1188 to payroll during PP15 & the form needs to have the chapter Presidents initials. Article 10, Section 5
scottyd27  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2022 2:40:33 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Well guess I’ll be resigning from the union in PP 15.

The union is the reason we can’t get back to normal work.

Useless
meinhoonna  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2022 7:29:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

Useless

What is normal work in your statement? Are you referring to not getting remote option by NTEU?
teeeeej  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2022 3:18:22 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: meinhoonna Go to Quoted Post

Useless

What is normal work in your statement? Are you referring to not getting remote option by NTEU?

No...he wants people to go back to the office. I guess he got his wish. Not looking forward to June 25th, personally.
meinhoonna  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2022 6:04:08 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post

Useless

No...he wants people to go back to the office. I guess he got his wish. Not looking forward to June 25th, personally.

They should have allowed volunteer return for folks who cannot live without office space and then check if more are needed. I am guessing DC and other cities did a good job of lobbying
teeeeej  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2022 8:57:51 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Useless

They should have allowed volunteer return for folks who cannot live without office space and then check if more are needed. I am guessing DC and other cities did a good job of lobbying

I don't know, the 3 month notice to go back seems pretty good considering it was like zero notice to go home.
meinhoonna  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2022 11:03:08 AM(UTC)

Useless

I don't know, the 3 month notice to go back seems pretty good considering it was like zero notice to go home.

I am sure a lot of people are dying to get back to office.
teeeeej  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2022 1:48:56 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Useless

I am sure a lot of people are dying to get back to office.

I would assume the people who want to go back are already back.

Gal Friday  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2022 8:17:27 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Union seems expensive ... is it worth it?
Hired 2015  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2022 4:53:55 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Definitely not a fan of RTO. There is a greater history that is not being told of decades of efforts across the private and government sectors to increase telework. Knowing that history and having been apart of it I'm just more enlightened. My mother as a government employee started working from home in 1968 so I grew up with the conversation. She retired after 50 years of service where she always worked in a mixed situation of our home, her own privately leased office and in the government agency offices.

RTO isn't not really the fault of the union or management. The devil always is in the details. There are so many nuggets of details in the maze of factors to consider. We had telecom equipment owned by the government by mother worked for in our home growing up. I knew how to work it and filled in as mother's secretary as a kid. Child labor laws? Insurance factors? Neighbors complaints? Zoning laws? It all came up in the conversation. By 1970 in the city I grew up in offered school of the air where kids could watch broadcasts of classes. I did high school and college mostly by remote. Most jobs I had were remote or off site.

RTO comes from the same issues that put my mother faced. Fairness. Employees that couldn't telework didn't like the fact my mother who in fairness had a job created for her because she was the first disabled mother to break a glass ceiling barrier.

My mother was an FDR era child disabled polio survivor. My mother would use working from home to go on to break barriers to finish college and serve in office for over fifty years.

Gal Friday  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2022 4:40:04 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
Definitely not a fan of RTO. There is a greater history that is not being told of decades of efforts across the private and government sectors to increase telework. Knowing that history and having been apart of it I'm just more enlightened. My mother as a government employee started working from home in 1968 so I grew up with the conversation. She retired after 50 years of service where she always worked in a mixed situation of our home, her own privately leased office and in the government agency offices.

RTO isn't not really the fault of the union or management. The devil always is in the details. There are so many nuggets of details in the maze of factors to consider. We had telecom equipment owned by the government by mother worked for in our home growing up. I knew how to work it and filled in as mother's secretary as a kid. Child labor laws? Insurance factors? Neighbors complaints? Zoning laws? It all came up in the conversation. By 1970 in the city I grew up in offered school of the air where kids could watch broadcasts of classes. I did high school and college mostly by remote. Most jobs I had were remote or off site.

RTO comes from the same issues that put my mother faced. Fairness. Employees that couldn't telework didn't like the fact my mother who in fairness had a job created for her because she was the first disabled mother to break a glass ceiling barrier.

My mother was an FDR era child disabled polio survivor. My mother would use working from home to go on to break barriers to finish college and serve in office for over fifty years.

Back then the employer couldn't tell if your mother was doing any actual work at home. She could take her phone off the hook and no one would know the difference (not that she did that). Now in 2022 if you leave your computer for more than three minutes, alarm bells start going off. So there's a better case now for allowing work at home!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed