Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HRGuy2022  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2022 12:02:22 PM(UTC)
HRGuy2022

Groups: Registered
United States

OK, a bit about myself...

Current college student about to complete my BA in Logistics, 10pt disabled vet, 5+ years experience in the HR/Recruiting field.

I have applied to roughly 20 open positions between GS9 and GS11 both here in the DC area and OCONUS.

I have been referred to 8 of them in the last 60 days and met with complete silence after. This has me concerned that I was only referred by the 10pt preference and the hiring manager decided they didn't like me.
The Army has no real way to follow-up on well anything. the Navy and DLA have only responded with boiler-plate (the hiring manager has it) after 4-5 weeks.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 27, 2022 12:26:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2022 12:49:15 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 319 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HRGuy2022 Go to Quoted Post

Current college student about to complete my BA in Logistics, 10pt disabled vet, 5+ years experience in the HR/Recruiting field.

I have applied to roughly 20 open positions between GS9 and GS11 both here in the DC area and OCONUS.

I have been referred to 8 of them in the last 60 days and met with complete silence after. This has me concerned that I was only referred by the 10pt preference and the hiring manager decided they didn't like me.
The Army has no real way to follow-up on well anything. the Navy and DLA have only responded with boiler-plate (the hiring manager has it) after 4-5 weeks.

I have read this here. Personally I only applied to one job, a GS 11 and I did get it because of my specialized experience. I had about a months worth of College

"To qualify for jobs at the GS-9 grade (or equivalent) level you need a master's degree, and for the GS-11 grade (or equivalent) level you need a doctoral degree. At these levels, the advanced degree must be directly related to the work of the job you're applying to."

https://www.usajobs.gov/...0the%20GS%2D9%20grade%20(or,job%20you're%20applying%20to.

FS0201  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2022 3:46:24 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 281 post(s)
What level of HR/recruiting experience do you have, is it comparable to a GS 7 or 9?
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2022 10:05:11 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1200 time(s) in 960 post(s)

If you are being referred, but don't get an interview, it is your resume. It makes it through HR, but doesn't impress the hiring official/panel enough to have them interview you.

Have someone review it and give you feedback (heck, PM me for my email and I'll give you feedback on it).

Being referred means little to nothing. It simply means you met the minimum standards HR has been given to pass you on to the hiring official who then (typically they will use a panel of SMEs to do this) then reviews to see who are the best handful to interview. Typically this is anywhere from 3-10 applicants who get invited to be interviewed.

The process to follow to avoid losing your mind is:

Apply...then forget about it.
Get a referral notice...smile, then forget about it.
Get an interview...smile wider, review your resume, the job announcement, etc, work on some potential scenarios you can use to answer questions with (a good 5-10 that can apply across multiple multiple questions is useful). Interview....then forget about it.
Get the offer...smile, prepare for onboarding but don't make drastic plans like moving across the world just yet.
Get the start date...make certain everything is done, the agency confirms you can move, etc
Start...now smile your widest, and relax. Learn the new role.

Then...start to work on your resume for the next opportunity so you aren't rushing when it shows up.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
HRGuy2022 on 4/28/2022(UTC)
HRGuy2022  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2022 1:15:42 PM(UTC)
HRGuy2022

United States

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

If you are being referred, but don't get an interview, it is your resume. It makes it through HR, but doesn't impress the hiring official/panel enough to have them interview you.

Have someone review it and give you feedback (heck, PM me for my email and I'll give you feedback on it).

Being referred means little to nothing. It simply means you met the minimum standards HR has been given to pass you on to the hiring official who then (typically they will use a panel of SMEs to do this) then reviews to see who are the best handful to interview. Typically this is anywhere from 3-10 applicants who get invited to be interviewed.

The process to follow to avoid losing your mind is:

Apply...then forget about it.
Get a referral notice...smile, then forget about it.
Get an interview...smile wider, review your resume, the job announcement, etc, work on some potential scenarios you can use to answer questions with (a good 5-10 that can apply across multiple multiple questions is useful). Interview....then forget about it.
Get the offer...smile, prepare for onboarding but don't make drastic plans like moving across the world just yet.
Get the start date...make certain everything is done, the agency confirms you can move, etc
Start...now smile your widest, and relax. Learn the new role.

Then...start to work on your resume for the next opportunity so you aren't rushing when it shows up.

Sir,

I would love to send you my resume for review!
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

HRGuy2022  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2022 1:17:12 PM(UTC)
HRGuy2022

United States

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
What level of HR/recruiting experience do you have, is it comparable to a GS 7 or 9?

I have 5 years full cycle recruiting, 2 years HR management, 1.5 years freelance 3rd party recruiting/HR admin.
I am currently filling a recruiter/HR manager role here in the DC area.
HRGuy2022  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2022 10:03:47 AM(UTC)
HRGuy2022

United States

Well Federal resume ver 45.6 has been published and resulted in a GS11 referral less than 72hrs after the position closed. Now we wait and see if there is a real impact.
Thanks to @frankgonzalez for your insight sir!
0018 Hopeful  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2022 1:10:00 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 50 post(s)
It is a numbers game.

There was a USA Jobs reset in 2018 or 2019 and that wiped out my account (and everyone else's). Up until that date I had applied to over 1200 positions, been hired about 20 times and actually took 6 jobs. Probably did 80-100 interviews.

Since 2018, I have had another 629 applications, had about 80 interviews and hired 8 times and taken 3 jobs. Started as a GS-7 and am now a GS-14.

You don't get to follow up, or ask questions or network. This isn't the private sector. So get that out of your head.

Here is the best methodology.

1. Apply for the job, ensuring that you upload a clean resume, and supporting documents.

2. Wait for referral or non-referral. Either way do nothing.

3. Get an interview, wait for the documents to be sent to you or get a denial letter (if you are lucky) via USA Jobs.

4. Wash and repeat.

Rarely it makes sense if you don't understand something in the USA jobs posting to call and ask a question. The odds are very high that whoever you call will be HR and not the hiring manager.

Unless you know the hiring manager personally do not call the hiring manager.

thanks 1 user thanked 0018 Hopeful for this useful post.
HRGuy2022 on 5/15/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed