Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
icanzz  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2022 4:41:48 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
So going from Army OCONUS (ASIA) to Army OCONUS (Europe) seems that LQA is authorized no problem, But I was told on an interview with the Air Force that a waiver would be needed to receive LQA at new location if going Army to Air Force job? Air Force has their own rules?
TheUnderverse15  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2022 7:01:36 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
So going from Army OCONUS (ASIA) to Army OCONUS (Europe) seems that LQA is authorized no problem, But I was told on an interview with the Air Force that a waiver would be needed to receive LQA at new location if going Army to Air Force job? Air Force has their own rules?

Don't think so, Navy has that rule too. We had a guy come on board from Air Force (Germany) to Navy (Japan), the guy was required a waiver approval from Commander and HRO to get LQA.

Army attempted to put me through a "LQA board" going from Asia to Europe.
0018 Hopeful  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2022 1:04:33 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 50 post(s)
LQA is not a right.

There have been multiple people heavily screwed by this.
icanzz  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2022 4:24:12 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
LQA is not a right.

There have been multiple people heavily screwed by this.

LQA would be determined prior to accepting position.

People get too wrapped up in LQA, it is GREAT. The thing is tho in many if not most OCONUS locations Rent is inflated heavily for people on LQA. I paid $3k per month in Italy on LQA, But the same house could be rented for about $1K per month if I was just renting it a normal person living there without LQA. You can literally pull a house up on the internet in Germany and see same house listed for rent at less than half the rent amount of max LQA, but if getting LQA you will pay max or near max LQA rate.

It can still be more affordable to pay your own rent in many OCONUS locations than many CONUS locations.

For example I know someone considering offers from both JB Lewis McCord WA. and Germany...rent at Lewis will run them about $3,000 to $3,900 at Lewis + utilities. Rent near base in Germany without LQA would be about the same or even much less.

So it matters little in this case...pay rent/mortgage in states or pay rent OCONUS. Even without LQA a person receives tax free Post Allowance.

It could even stand out more if you consider someone working/living Federal job in California, Houston, TX. and paying rent/mortgage compared to someone paying rent without LQA say in Germany. Live in Houston and pay rent or live in Germany and pay rent?
icanzz  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2022 6:08:00 PM(UTC)
icanzz

After reading this post I realized I might be "assuming" my belief(s) about certain PCS situations, so let me ask has anyone done this.

Current Army Civilian employee serving 36 Month OCONUS tour (transportation agreement) and have completed more than 12 Months (the move over and stay 12 months service agreement complete), but less than 36 months so current agency not responsible for PCS cost back to CONUS yet.

Applied for a position with the Army on USAJOBS and in the posting it states: "Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is in the Government's interest.

Does this this mean the new location CONUS will pay for move - from old duty location OCONUS to New duty location CONUS?
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2022 2:48:27 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1200 time(s) in 960 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
After reading this post I realized I might be "assuming" my belief(s) about certain PCS situations, so let me ask has anyone done this.

Current Army Civilian employee serving 36 Month OCONUS tour (transportation agreement) and have completed more than 12 Months (the move over and stay 12 months service agreement complete), but less than 36 months so current agency not responsible for PCS cost back to CONUS yet.

Applied for a position with the Army on USAJOBS and in the posting it states: "Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is in the Government's interest.

Does this this mean the new location CONUS will pay for move - from old duty location OCONUS to New duty location CONUS?
Not "will pay" but a "may pay". If something is authorized it doesn't mean they have to do it, only that they have the ability to do so.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Patriots24  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2022 7:25:16 AM(UTC)
Patriots24

Germany

Anyone going overseas and not collecting LQA is crazy. As we all know, overseas locations do not receive locality pay. This could mean a 20-29% loss in pay from a state-side job (not even factoring that LQA and Post Allowance are tax-free). Also, the rent in most overseas locations can get very expense. Yes, the local landlords charge more to rent a specific house than if you were a local national. That does not change the fact that anyone working OCONUS would likely be destitute without LQA.
FatHappyCat  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2022 10:00:02 AM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Patriots24 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone going overseas and not collecting LQA is crazy. As we all know, overseas locations do not receive locality pay. This could mean a 20-29% loss in pay from a state-side job (not even factoring that LQA and Post Allowance are tax-free). Also, the rent in most overseas locations can get very expense. Yes, the local landlords charge more to rent a specific house than if you were a local national. That does not change the fact that anyone working OCONUS would likely be destitute without LQA.

I don't think you can make the conclusion that anyone not collecting LQA is crazy. There are just too many people with too many situations where LQA simply isn't an option; plenty of people still make it work without it. It's harder for sure but you just need to factor that in whether it becomes worth your while or not.

icanzz  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2022 4:31:02 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: Patriots24 Go to Quoted Post

You are right you don't receive Locality pay....but you do receive "TAX Free Post Allowance".

The biggest issue I see is that you receive "Base rate" pay if you are GS, but other pay systems are more flexible/friendly, for example my wife went from GS pay scale to NAF pay scale and they were able to set her starting pay as a NAF5 at GS 13 step 10 $105,579 equivalent + Post Allowance (she also chose to retain FERS and TSP, you get onetime choice when switching between GS/NAF). If she would have accepted the same job under GS system (Base pay rate) they would have been limited to offering her GS 13 Step 4 or Base at $89,337 + Post Allowance. So it is always situational. So I can see your point if your under GS system pay because of Base pay + PA only.

And it helps my retirement is still more than her NF5 Pay... :)

"No LQA is crazy"...is prime example of getting TOO wrapped up in LQA. Now some locations, Japan for instance I probably would not do because of high rent. But a lot of of OCONUS locations the rent is cheaper than many places in USA.

Like I said you are going to pay $40,000/$3,333 a year/month in rent if you are on LQA and that is is your max. But you can rent the same house or one similar in same location for $1,500 a month if not on LQA. You do have to do your homework and check out rents online for normal/non LQA rates before accepting position somewhere if you where to go without LQA. Like most things in life you have to be smart about it.

I know tons of people working/living OCONUS with no LQA btw.

Edited by user Thursday, May 19, 2022 4:43:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked icanzz for this useful post.
Al329 on 5/21/2022(UTC)
icanzz  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2022 6:26:00 PM(UTC)
icanzz

LQA would be determined prior to accepting position.

I stand corrected: LQA determined after accepting T/O. T/O received ...onboarding process forms started, one of the forms is to determine LQA eligibility.

Edited by user Sunday, May 22, 2022 6:26:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed