Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matt  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2022 8:03:19 AM(UTC)
Matt

Groups: Registered

I have a perhaps a unique situation.

I worked in a LEO position & became disabled due to mental health disorders. They were unable to accommodate me in that position & I was subsequently found “Unfit for Duty”. I was given the options letter (i.e. medical retirement, reassignment etc.) Well, stupid me but, I wanted to try and work still and find something that I could possibly do. They finally offered me an office job about 6-7 months later & while trying to report to this new location outside of my commuting area my condition was greatly exasperated. I was only able to be there for 1 day & that was a struggle.

I requested a reasonable accommodation for this new position in the form of teleworking 4 days per week, and unfortunately it was determined that there were no accommodations that would allow me to do the essential functions of the job since my disability got very bad. They were also unable to reassign to a location closer to my home or telework position.

While waiting for all of this I was on AL/SL for a bit until that ran out, then spent about 10 months on LWOP. I was finally terminated because I was unable to perform the job. Overall, I was in this new position for about 12 months.

I submitted my FERS application about 9 weeks ago & I think my agency just recently completed their portion and sent it to OPM.

Unfortunately, the reassignment I took may ultimately hurt my chances, but I don’t know because they were unable to accommodate me in any manner at the reassigned position.

Is there anybody out there in a similar situation? Thanks!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed