Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

You must Register before posting to this forum.
The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2022 2:50:25 PM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/16/2021(UTC)
Posts: 5

I have been a federal employee since 2009. I recently got a new job and I'm transferring from a civilian with the department of the army to a civilian with the department of the Air Force in a National Guard base. On my first Les my retirement changed from FERS to FERS FRAE. Does this happen to employees when they transfer to a new agency? Or is it an error? I would think that I would be grandfathered into furs and just stay with that for the longevity of my time in the federal service. I had no brake in service between when I transferred from my old position to my current position.

Thank you
#2 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2022 10:33:20 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/3/2009(UTC)
Posts: 122

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Reach out to your HR department. This definitely sounds like a clerical error.

#3 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2022 5:40:49 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/26/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,832

Thanks: 300 times
Was thanked: 622 time(s) in 505 post(s)
Looks like an error on the part of the AF. They made an assumption, which was incorrect, that you were a new employee. You need to make them change it back (quickly) and make sure that every other element of your status is as it should be, including things like your annual leave accrual and sick leave. If they balk, point them to your most recent SF50 - since you're a continuing employee it's in your eOPF.
SD Analyst  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2022 5:03:00 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,304

Thanks: 1881 times
Was thanked: 430 time(s) in 369 post(s)
This is a common error by HR. Contact them, show previous Form 50's. You're paying a lot more for the exact same retirement.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2022 12:40:09 PM(UTC)

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/4/2016(UTC)
Posts: 18
United States

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You're correct and your employer is in error. Notify your HR office because you're overpaying for FERS. Read the law at
#6 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 2:25:57 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/25/2012(UTC)
Posts: 453

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 27 post(s)
What does FERS FRAE stand for?
FERS-Further Revised Annuity Employees
Employees that fall under this requirement are called “FERS-Further Revised Annuity Employees,” or “FERS-FRAE.” The pension system is again generally the same, only the contribution rate is changed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.240 seconds.