Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
porter  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2022 7:39:59 PM(UTC)
porter

Groups: Registered

What do prospective hiring managers look at when they are considering current federal employees, including documents and references/current managers, etc.?

I am a new federal employee (about 4 weeks); however, I found the job is not what I expected or was intimated. When applying to new jobs, what obstacles will present itself? I do have an SF50, but was thinking of not including it or updating my resume. How will this affect my application?

Much obliged!

GRITS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2022 4:25:23 AM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: porter Go to Quoted Post
What do prospective hiring managers look at when they are considering current federal employees, including documents and references/current managers, etc.?

I am a new federal employee (about 4 weeks); however, I found the job is not what I expected or was intimated. When applying to new jobs, what obstacles will present itself? I do have an SF50, but was thinking of not including it or updating my resume. How will this affect my application?

Much obliged!

I can only assume since you are so new no negative personnel actions would have been taking against you, what will be your reasoning not to present you SF-50? If you remain in this job/position for say another 6 months or longer by the time you have applied to a new position to actually getting a Entrance of Duty (EOD) notice. You will need to explained what you was during by way of employment in that time frame and if you are a current federal employee most likely the SF-50 will be a requirement as the application process. Unless you are willing to take a chance with your future Federal career I will not omit anything during the application process cause it could come back to bit later. Good luck and I hope you find the job that fits you!!

GWPDA  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2022 6:21:55 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 609 time(s) in 498 post(s)
"I do have an SF50, but was thinking of not including it or updating my resume. How will this affect my application?"

Because you have only four weeks of federal employment, you may not yet apply as a status employee. As a non-status employee, you can apply for any position 'open to the public' but by not accounting for your current employment your application most likely will be rejected as incomplete. As always in federal service, deception is the least good option.
FrankJr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2022 12:10:53 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 122 post(s)

Much obliged!

Prospective hiring managers look for employees a minimum of 12 months in the prior position. What hiring manager wants to hire an individual that starts to look elsewhere after 4 weeks? As a new federal employee probation is an issue so unless you plan on exiting federal employment the better option is to continue in the current role for 12 months prior to exploring other options and to tread lightly until the the end of probation and career-conditional. Generally speaking the situation is night and day after three years. Jobs are never as expected. Management is never as expected. That is life.
porter  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2022 4:21:11 PM(UTC)
porter

Probation is two years I believe now?

This could be a career killer for the resume and my skills. The job is mostly clerical and I am a health care professional.
djp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2022 6:06:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Probation is two years I believe now?

This could be a career killer for the resume and my skills. The job is mostly clerical and I am a health care professional.

What is this job series and title and level?
porter  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2022 6:47:20 PM(UTC)
porter

I'm not sure what those terms are. GS12, allied health position. Where is series on
old fed  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2022 9:59:41 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 74 post(s)
I'm not sure what those terms are. GS12, allied health position. Where is series on

https://www.opm.gov/poli.../pharmacist-series-0660/

I'll re-post this from my post to you in the DoD section:

in regards to classification an 0660 is an 0660. the difference comes in your title/resume/experience in most places when exploring other positions. my experience is not in the army. your pre-army experience should be treated the same as prior to hiring from what I remember. you don't lose 'credit' for that just because you have a federal job.

you should be able to figure out how to translate what you do into clinical terms relevant to a resume other than 'clerical work'

Edited by user Sunday, August 14, 2022 10:03:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed