Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
213 Pages«<211212213
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
But_Why  
#4241 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2022 5:36:36 PM(UTC)
But_Why

Groups: Registered
United States

May I ask what was your timeline from taking the proctored exam to getting interviewed?
1stfeddi  
#4242 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2022 6:49:47 PM(UTC)
1stfeddi

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
6/20 Applied
8/20 Assessment Scheduling Email
3/21 Structured Interview
4/21 Received email that I passed Interview (I sent email asking for result)
6/21 Drug Questionnaire Form/Applicant Disclosure
7/21 Tentative Offer
7/21 Fingerprinting
(I was told by HR that I had a "good chance" to be selected for class #57)
4/22 Expedited Background Check
9/6/22 Preference Sheet for Class #58
thanks 2 users thanked 1stfeddi for this useful post.
GrayBeard on 9/14/2022(UTC), But_Why on 9/22/2022(UTC)
GrayBeard  
#4243 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 5:04:20 PM(UTC)
GrayBeard

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Status update! Just received an email saying that I had been referred to the hiring manager. I think I still have a long way to go, but it's progress!

Here's my timeline so far:

May 2021 - Applied to the opening that closed 06/03/2021
July 2021 - Received email confirmation of passing the online assessment (Phase 1)
Aug 2021 - Took the on-site proctored assessment
Jan 2022 - Emailed HRRD.Recruit and confirmed that I passed the proctored assessment (Phase 2)
Apr 2022 - Completed the structured interview
July 2022 - Emailed HRRD.Recruit and confirmed that I passed the interview (Phase 4), but was told that a referral list would not be issued to the selecting official until all interview results were completed
Sept 2022 - Received email confirmation that I was recommended for referral

The job grade that I qualified for (GS-7) is lower than what I'm currently at (GS-11), but I don't think I've ever been as excited about a job as this before. Fingers crossed I can keep moving forward!
thanks 1 user thanked GrayBeard for this useful post.
But_Why on 9/22/2022(UTC)
bestbrian  
#4244 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2022 1:58:03 PM(UTC)
bestbrian

United States

Question for those in the know: How long does it usually take for HR to respond to an email or voicemail? I received an automated email yesterday stating that my application was being rejected due to my not meeting the education and experience requirements, which is not the case (I have a BA, over twenty years of law enforcement experience, and I'm a veteran with eight years as an agent with Army Counterintelligence). Last summer I received an email informing me that my application couldn't be processed without providing more information, but this was followed up a few days later by another email reporting that the previous one was in error, and that I was in good standing. I'm thinking that this most recent error was somehow related to whatever had caused the previous issue. In any event, I sent an email to the HR address provided, and followed up with a phone call where I left a voicemail. I'm just wondering how quick their turn around time is, because I don't want to be a pest. Thanks in advance.
GrayBeard  
#4245 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2022 3:35:30 PM(UTC)
GrayBeard

United States

Originally Posted by: bestbrian Go to Quoted Post
Question for those in the know: How long does it usually take for HR to respond to an email or voicemail? I received an automated email yesterday stating that my application was being rejected due to my not meeting the education and experience requirements, which is not the case (I have a BA, over twenty years of law enforcement experience, and I'm a veteran with eight years as an agent with Army Counterintelligence). Last summer I received an email informing me that my application couldn't be processed without providing more information, but this was followed up a few days later by another email reporting that the previous one was in error, and that I was in good standing. I'm thinking that this most recent error was somehow related to whatever had caused the previous issue. In any event, I sent an email to the HR address provided, and followed up with a phone call where I left a voicemail. I'm just wondering how quick their turn around time is, because I don't want to be a pest. Thanks in advance.

I've emailed twice and received a response within one business day both times.
thanks 1 user thanked GrayBeard for this useful post.
bestbrian on 9/19/2022(UTC)
Browsermidwest  
#4246 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2022 7:07:29 PM(UTC)
Browsermidwest

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Is class 57 currently in session? Or has that concluded?

Class #58, as I read somewhere, will begin in Jan 2023?

I'm just wondering when I may expect to be in class. Im currently waiting on the 'accelerated background check'. Based on the timeline, I think the earliest I could expect to go is late 2023 or even the beginning of 2024.

AZShadowStorm  
#4247 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2022 7:30:54 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Yes, BDI 57 is currently in session. They are going to finish up shortly…next week I think.

Rumor is that 58 is supposed to start in January. However, until people start getting the official cable for class, dates can always change.

Originally Posted by: Browsermidwest Go to Quoted Post
Is class 57 currently in session? Or has that concluded?

Class #58, as I read somewhere, will begin in Jan 2023?

I'm just wondering when I may expect to be in class. Im currently waiting on the 'accelerated background check'. Based on the timeline, I think the earliest I could expect to go is late 2023 or even the beginning of 2024.

bestbrian  
#4248 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 3:39:34 PM(UTC)
bestbrian

United States

Heard back from HR today, and this is kind of kafkaesque. The first email I received said "Sorry, not a mistake. You're not qualified". Which obviously left me quite perplexed, so I asked "Why?". I then received an email from another person stating that she had reviewed my email, I wasn't qualified, and then copy/pasted the announcement. Here's my response to that:

"Thank you for your prompt response, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of my resume. According to the announcement:

"GS-07: Must have one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level or pay band in the Federal service that includes performing the following duties: 1) Drafting documents to summarize information, incidents, or investigations for review by a supervisor; 2) Responding to questions from government officials or the general public on frequently used, rules, regulations, or laws; 3) Gathering and organizing information from databases, online resources, or documents; and 4) Evaluating information to identify potential violations of rules, regulations, or laws."

According to my resume:

" New York City Police Department, NY, NY — Police Officer December 1997 - October 2016 Patrol officer assigned to 25th Precinct, East Harlem, NY. Duties included the protection of life and property, enforcing laws, conducting patrols, issuing citations, investigating crimes, collecting evidence, arresting suspects, completing paperwork and testifying in court.

US Army Reserves, Bronx, NY — Counterintelligence Agent June 1993 - June 2001 Counterintelligence Special Agent with several overseas deployments, trained to carry out the broad range of CI functions to detect, identify, exploit, and neutralize the foreign intelligence and security services (FISS) and international terrorist organization (ITO) threats targeting US forces."

The announcement specifically calls for "...one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level or pay band in the Federal service...". As you can see from the above, and from my submitted Notice of Honorable Discharge, I served for 8 years as an E-5 in the US Army in an investigative MOS (equivalent to GS-5 and 7 more years than required). Additionally, as you can see from the duties enumerated for a Counterintelligence Agent on my resume that are quoted above, none of them can be executed without "1) Drafting documents to summarize information, incidents, or investigations for review by a supervisor; 2) Responding to questions from government officials or the general public on frequently used, rules, regulations, or laws; 3) Gathering and organizing information from databases, online resources, or documents; and 4) Evaluating information to identify potential violations of rules, regulations, or laws." Additionally, I have 20 years of service as a police officer with the NYPD wherein I specifically referred on my resume to "investigating crimes, collecting evidence, arresting suspects, completing paperwork and testifying in court" none of which can be conducted without "1) Drafting documents to summarize information, incidents, or investigations for review by a supervisor; 2) Responding to questions from government officials or the general public on frequently used, rules, regulations, or laws; 3) Gathering and organizing information from databases, online resources, or documents; and 4) Evaluating information to identify potential violations of rules, regulations, or laws."

Resumes by their very nature are succinct: One does not write a wall of text to belabor the point of what can be immediately inferred from a short description, especially when to do so is a waste of the reviewer's time. I apologize if I wasn't overly meticulous, but, as you can see above, I didn't think I needed to as I clearly meet the qualifications of the position. Additionally, I once again cite the fact that the very same resume was submitted and approved for advancement to interview on a previous announcement for the same position without any concerns or difficulties.

I hope this convinces you to reconsider your determination. Failing a favorable decision, please feel free to escalate this appeal to the next higher authority.

Thank you for your consideration,"

I think it's really clear and obvious, as it was to whoever reviewed the same resume when I last applied. Any Fed HR types around that can explain what the sudden issue is?
bestbrian  
#4249 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 5:17:35 AM(UTC)
bestbrian

United States

I think I have an idea of what's going on. Awoke to the following email in response to my initial request for clarification:

"Good morning Mr. Estrada,

In reference to your inquiry, I mean no disrespect, but when was the last time you actual looked at your resume?

The resume you submitted was not detailed about the duties you performed. This did not meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements for this series/specialty/grade combination.

The transcript shows A.B for a Degree, Is this an Associate? Did they type it wrong? Your GPA is or was below 3.0 and above, to be qualified based on education. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call or email me."

I informed him that my degree is a bachelor's (which is pretty obvious if you notice the 32+ passed classes listed on the transcript), but my alma mater is fancy and likes to use Latin . I also copy/pasted the letter I sent to his colleague above. The upshot seems to be that some of the staff at HR really want to have everything spoon fed to them. I don't know how you fit all that on the box provided by USAJobs, but it would seem that for every previous job position you'd have to bullet point your duties to specifically refer to the job announcement, since it might end up in the hands of a drone incapable of inference. This might appear to be self-evident to many of you, but if someone is thinking of applying for a future announcement, FYI.
GearUp  
#4250 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 6:07:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 239 post(s)
I believe you are qualified. You need to understand that the initial screening is done by OPM and not DEA HR. OPM uses a database that searches for key words and phrases as well as checking to see if the right boxes are checked. As you pointed out the announcement stated: Must have one (1) year of specialized experience to at least the GS-05 level... that included performing the following duties: 1) Drafting documents to summarize information, incidents, or investigations for review by a supervisor; 2) Responding to questions from government officials or the general public on frequently used rules, regulations, or laws; 3) Gathering and organizing information from databases, online resources, or documents; and 4) Evaluation information to identify potential violations or rules, regulations, or laws.

Based on the description of duties provided in your resume you did the work and have more than enough experience but the computer didn't find the key words or phrases it was looking for. I don't know what those are.
EXAMPLE: Anyone with a brain would know a NYPD officer "drafts documents" that are "reviewed by a supervisor." A NYPD officer also responds to questions from government officials or the general public on "frequently used rules, regulations, or laws." My point is maybe "completing paperwork" and "testifying in court" weren't sufficient enough to meet the key words and phrases criteria the computer was looking for.

Your resume isn't actually looked at by a human until further down in the process. There are far too many applicants for anyone to do that. That's why they use the computer for initial screening. Since you challenged the results someone in HR looked at your resume.

The HR reps don't want "everything spoon fed to them." They need it spoon fed to them. If you want the job you have to give them what they need and/or want to get your package processed through the system. If you don't give them what they say they need or want then you only weaken your chances of getting selected. They see and review hundreds of application packages. Each and everyone of them is different and in many cases unique. Yours is unique in that you have AB listed for a degree. I have reviewed a lot of applicant packages prior to conducting panel interviews and never once saw AB listed as a degree. Also having 32+ passed classes listed on a transcript doesn't necessarily mean a degree was conferred upon a person. The person could have taken random classes not related to a degree program. You have to give the HR folks some slack. It may seem petty to you but if they say they need something then you need to give it to them. Sometimes its not the HR rep who actually wants it. It could be someone further up the chain who is asking for clarification on a matter not clear to them on the application.

I recommend you call the HR representative and speak with him/her or ask to speak with the supervisor. Remain calm and ask them what you can do to get you a reconsideration. You are, in my opinion, qualified for the position and should be given a chance to continue on the process. But the decision isn't mine to make.

I wish you good luck.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 20, 2022 6:09:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
bestbrian on 9/20/2022(UTC)
bestbrian  
#4251 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 6:45:08 AM(UTC)
bestbrian

United States

Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post

Your resume isn't actually looked at by a human until further down in the process. There are far too many applicants for anyone to do that. That's why they use the computer for initial screening. Since you challenged the results someone in HR looked at your resume.

The HR reps don't want "everything spoon fed to them." They need it spoon fed to them. If you want the job you have to give them what they need and/or want to get your package processed through the system. If you don't give them what they say they need or want then you only weaken your chances of getting selected. They see and review hundreds of application packages. Each and everyone of them is different and in many cases unique. Yours is unique in that you have AB listed for a degree. I have reviewed a lot of applicant packages prior to conducting panel interviews and never once saw AB listed as a degree. Also having 32+ passed classes listed on a transcript doesn't necessarily mean a degree was conferred upon a person. The person could have taken random classes not related to a degree program. You have to give the HR folks some slack. It may seem petty to you but if they say they need something then you need to give it to them. Sometimes its not the HR rep who actually wants it. It could be someone further up the chain who is asking for clarification on a matter not clear to them on the application.

I recommend you call the HR representative and speak with him/her or ask to speak with the supervisor. Remain calm and ask them what you can do to get you a reconsideration. You are, in my opinion, qualified for the position and should be given a chance to continue on the process. But the decision isn't mine to make.

I wish you good luck.

Thanks for the response; it's much appreciated. I actually assumed that it was computer screened when I received the initial rejection, and expected it be cleared up quickly when brought to human attention. What's concerning to me is that I've corresponded with two representatives at HR who have claimed to have reviewed my resume, both of which continued to deem me unqualified with dismissive emails that didn't explain how/why they came by their decisions. This is why I responded by juxtaposing the actual wording on my resume against the announcement (I haven't received a response to that yet). I'm not attempting to be snide or belittle HR, but what they tell me is not there is actually written on the resume, which is why the "have you read your own resume" thing is not a good look, especially paired with the AB/BA misunderstanding (which I never initiated in any of my communications). Hopefully, my detailed response lands on the correct desk, and this resolves itself without any further mishegas, but it's a good example of ensuring that the USAJobs application includes those keywords from the announcement since they must've altered their algorithm (I didn't have any of these difficulties with the exact same application in the past).

GearUp  
#4252 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 1:47:51 PM(UTC)

Call and ask to speak with the supervisor or unit chief/section chief. Explain the situation to him. You should be considered qualified based on education and experience.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
bestbrian on 9/20/2022(UTC)
bestbrian  
#4253 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 1:51:49 PM(UTC)
bestbrian

United States

Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post
Call and ask to speak with the supervisor or unit chief/section chief. Explain the situation to him. You should be considered qualified based on education and experience.

Thanks, but I just received the following email, and consider the matter resolved.

"Good Afternoon Mr. Estrada,

Thank you for your email.

After a careful second and third review of your resume, I was able to qualify you for the GS-07 grade level, but not the GS-09. At the GS-09, it was impossible to find the specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position. An updated email with this change will be sent to you shortly.

Furthermore, I can agree that resumes tend to be succinct by nature, but you tend to find this more within the private sector. As a suggestion, I highly recommend that you consider revising your resume to reflect as many details as possible for each position you’ve held. By doing so, helps the evaluator make a solid quals determination based on the information provided. Unfortunately, we cannot make assumptions and qualify applicants based on job titles and missing specialized experience."

Cue the Bee Gees. Stayin' Alive. :)

GearUp  
#4254 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 5:56:46 PM(UTC)

Great. I’m glad you challenged and questioned the first, wrong, decision. As I said I believe you are more than qualified. I hope you continue successfully in the process and are selected to attend the Academy. It’ll take time (a long time), so be patient and ready to provide any/all info HR asks for. Good luck.
grilledcheese  
#4255 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2022 2:55:47 PM(UTC)
grilledcheese

United States

Can someone explain how the preference list works? Do we rank our top cities and do we find out our placement before academy or during?
Sunshine63  
#4256 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2022 9:16:58 AM(UTC)
Sunshine63

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm beyond excited---I got called to interview next week! ( !! )

Dec 2021 Applied
March 2022 Proctored Exam
October 2022 Interview
thanks 2 users thanked Sunshine63 for this useful post.
But_Why on 10/4/2022(UTC), GrayBeard on 10/5/2022(UTC)
AZShadowStorm  
#4257 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2022 11:42:52 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
You’ll get a sheet with some or all of the offices (ones that have DI positions). Then you’ll rank them from first to last, depending on how many they want you to pick. When you get contacted for the final offer they’ll let you know where you’ll go after you complete the academy.

Originally Posted by: grilledcheese Go to Quoted Post
Can someone explain how the preference list works? Do we rank our top cities and do we find out our placement before academy or during?

But_Why  
#4258 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2022 1:15:14 PM(UTC)
But_Why

United States

I got the email for an interview!! I'm so excited too!!!! We have the same timeline.

Originally Posted by: Sunshine63 Go to Quoted Post
I'm beyond excited---I got called to interview next week! ( !! )

Dec 2021 Applied
March 2022 Proctored Exam
October 2022 Interview
1371OIFx2  
#4259 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2022 12:31:47 PM(UTC)
1371OIFx2

United States

Just got moved into an accelerated background check, it's been a long process and I am guessing this will take at least 4-8 months but that is purely a guess.

applied March 2021 (I think)
assessment June 2021
Interview December 2021
Moved into medical and drug test April/May 2022
Background October 2022

Let's see how this goes, and good luck to everyone else going through this.
BKINVESTIGATOR  
#4260 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2022 11:37:57 AM(UTC)
BKINVESTIGATOR

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I also applied in December of 2021 and will be interviewing tomorrow actually. Wish me luck.
thanks 1 user thanked BKINVESTIGATOR for this useful post.
But_Why on 10/5/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed