Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
newb2021  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 10:50:30 AM(UTC)
newb2021

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey,

This will be my first post, and I have a question about SF86 and drug use within 7 years. My question deals with not listing drug use outside 7 years. I was honest about drug use within 7 years and listed start dates before 7 years for the ones that have been consumed with the SF-86 requested timeline. I did not include 2 uses of psilocybin early in college because it fell outside 7 years but was found during my investigation. I have been 100% honest on my forms but am now worried it looks like I was hiding this use. I had to meet again with my investigator and was told that I "omitted this drug use" and my justification was that if fell outside the forms 7 years timeline. I was told "we want to know all drug use and there is no 7 years limit." This may be true from the employer but not for the SF-86 questionnaire, but I did not want to correct my investigator cause no good would come from initially making an excuse or telling my investigator they are wrong.

I am wondering how big of an issue this really is and if I should correct my investigator on the whole no drug use timeline because I have now reviewed the form and it clearly states 7 years with it even being in bold font to purposefully highlight the questions timeline reference (SECTION 23). Maybe I am worrying over nothing but this process has been nothing but a pain, and I do not want to be deemed untrustworthy because of this error on my part when I thought I was acting in good faith while following the directions. It seems like I have made an error by following the directions.

Let me know what you think about me contacting my investigator to discuss further with him/her or if that would just make the situation worse. I imagine it would just annoy them, but I also feel the need to defend my reasoning beyond just being told that I am incorrect about the 7 year timeline.

Thanks!
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 1:39:43 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 380 time(s) in 330 post(s)
Remember even Marijuana is still Federally listed as a Schedule 1 Narcotic. How did they find out about your use of psilocybin? I think you have boxed yourself into a no win situation, although they do try to mess with you. When it came to drugs and alcohol I was dishonest with my Investigator. Since there was no poly or drug test I figured what do I have to lose. Besides my guy was more focused on bottled water use it seems?

"Person. Woman. Man Camera. TV,"
tic32003  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 8:50:44 AM(UTC)
tic32003

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: newb2021 Go to Quoted Post
Hey,

This will be my first post, and I have a question about SF86 and drug use within 7 years. My question deals with not listing drug use outside 7 years. I was honest about drug use within 7 years and listed start dates before 7 years for the ones that have been consumed with the SF-86 requested timeline. I did not include 2 uses of psilocybin early in college because it fell outside 7 years but was found during my investigation. I have been 100% honest on my forms but am now worried it looks like I was hiding this use. I had to meet again with my investigator and was told that I "omitted this drug use" and my justification was that if fell outside the forms 7 years timeline. I was told "we want to know all drug use and there is no 7 years limit." This may be true from the employer but not for the SF-86 questionnaire, but I did not want to correct my investigator cause no good would come from initially making an excuse or telling my investigator they are wrong.

I am wondering how big of an issue this really is and if I should correct my investigator on the whole no drug use timeline because I have now reviewed the form and it clearly states 7 years with it even being in bold font to purposefully highlight the questions timeline reference (SECTION 23). Maybe I am worrying over nothing but this process has been nothing but a pain, and I do not want to be deemed untrustworthy because of this error on my part when I thought I was acting in good faith while following the directions. It seems like I have made an error by following the directions.

Let me know what you think about me contacting my investigator to discuss further with him/her or if that would just make the situation worse. I imagine it would just annoy them, but I also feel the need to defend my reasoning beyond just being told that I am incorrect about the 7 year timeline.

Thanks!

The questionnaire is very specific in the language used. Provide the information asked in the question and do not elaborate.

For example, this:

Quote:
and listed start dates before 7 years for the ones that have been consumed with the SF-86 requested timeline

was not necessary and may have prompted the investigator to wonder why you would include that info and dig deeper outside of the stated timeline.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed