Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zoonik  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:46:37 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi

I just accepted a tentative offer with the DCMA, and was about to sign up and join a new gym. Do DOD civilians get free access to military base recreational facilities, commissaries etc? If so, would the ID card provide access to all military bases, as I live closest to an air force base, although I will likely be working at the Army base further away. Anybody in my shoes give me a heads up? I don't want to waste money on a 24hr fitness membership if I can work out and swim for free on base. thanks
Tonya McFadden  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 12:26:53 AM(UTC)
Esquire1207

I am currently a DoD employee at Ft. Monmouth - as civilians we have free access to all of the services on base (Fitness Center, MWR, lodging, etc) except for the commissary and PX. It varies from base to base, and I've also been informed that some bases allow interns who work on the base access to the commissary.

I'm sure you can ask HR or the hiring official at your job for clarification though.

Hope this helps.
Serenity81  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:43:39 AM(UTC)
Serenity81

Woman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I wish DoD civilians could shop at the commissary. I can go in there with someone, but I can't buy anything. On some bases you can't even get in the commissary as they check ID's at the door.

I like the rec rentals though, tables, chairs and other items real cheap for rent. Great for back yard parties. Return them in your Pick up when you go to work on Monday. Great deals.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed