Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
comingofage03  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2006 8:54:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have a question about the maximum length of time the Post Master can give me for a lunch break! I never knew how hostile working in the Post office would be. The PM gives us PTF'S 3 AND 4 hours for lunch and I am quite sure there has to be a time limit for lunch breaks if anyone could. please help me!! i am very upset! i am cut out of 4 hours of overtime everyday! i dont mind working 12 hours but getting paid for 8 is insane!!
superdave  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2006 2:49:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You seem to be saying that you are working 12 hours and only being paid for 8, yet you also state that you are given 3 and 4 hour lunches and lunch breaks are not paid lunches. Your shift can be split if that is what is taking place and here's some step 4 grievance settlements that describe how this should work.

M-00224 Step 4
January 27, 1982, H8N-1N-C-23559
1) When a part-time flexible employee is notified
prior to clocking out that he should return within
two (2) hours, this will be considered as a split
shift and no new guarantee applies.
2) When a part-time flexible employee, prior to
clocking out, is told to return after two (2) hours,
that employee must be given another minimum
guarantee of two (2) hours work or pay.
3) All part-time flexible employees who complete
their assignment, clock out and leave the
premises regardless of intervals between shifts,
are guaranteed four (4) hours of work or pay if
called back to work. This guarantee is
applicable to any size office. See also M-00982,
M-00246, M-00576, M-01405

Look these up at:

http://nalc.org/depart/cau/pdf/mrs/mrs0104.pdf
comingofage03  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2006 6:05:08 PM(UTC)

I was very upset yesterday sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say was that the PM manipulates the time so that i am obligated to the PO for 12 hours and only getting paid for 8. For lack of better words... This ****S! I am a clerk and I never remember agreeing to spilt shifts.
superdave  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2006 7:24:34 PM(UTC)

Being a PTF is not pleasant and I'm still confused. You still make it sound as if you are working 12 hours and only being paid for 8 and perhaps you should speak with your steward. Are you being scheduled for split shifts or is it just a daily whim?
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Super Carrier on 1/4/2006(UTC)
comingofage03  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 8:37:10 AM(UTC)

NO THIS IS WHENEVER THE PM FEELS LIKE IT. I START AT 6 AND THEN AT 11:30 HE TEELS ME TO TAKE A 3 OR FOUR HOUR LUNCH AND THEN COME BACK AND AT 2 OR 2:30. THIS ISNT EVERYDAY... JUST WHENEVER HE IS IN A BAD MOOD.
comingofage03  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 8:45:44 AM(UTC)

I AM WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT A SPLIT SHIFT MEANT THAT YOU CLOCK OUT AND THEN CLOCK BACK IN. I JUST SWIPE MYSELF OUT FOR LUNCH. I DONT OFFICIALLY END MY TOUR. UNTIL I LEAVE AT 6PM. THANX FOR YOUR HELP. YOU HAVE BEEN GREAT.
superdave  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 5:15:51 PM(UTC)

Have you discussed this with your local? I was a Carrier so I am unfamiliar with clerk scheduling, but common sense tells me that lunch is one thing and end tour should be another and if you are inconsistently being given these long lunches, you need to see your Union. Those step 4's I posted are NALC settlements and perhaps the APWU may have different ones, but I do know that you are to be offered a lunch break after 6 hours and if you are being offered this break prior to 6 hours as a PTF, something is not right with the scheduling.
powell28  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2006 1:43:46 AM(UTC)

If you are a clerk, read article 8 Sections 1 and 3, of the APWU contract, Hours of work. You may be required to take either 8 withen 9 or and 8 with 10 hour day. I falls on the size of you office. If you are a carries, go fish. I don't know
carrier X  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:20:45 AM(UTC)

Is it right for a sub clerk to work 5hrs, take a 4 hr.lunch & come back for less than an hour? Should the clerk be paid for 2 hours on the late split?
ohjacki  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 4, 2006 2:20:07 AM(UTC)

Sorry, now I am confused. You say you don't remember agreeing to split shifts? FYI, you agreed to split shifts the moment you asked to work for the Post Office. You were hired as a Part-time FLEXIBLE, that means your schedule is FLEXIBLE. In smaller offices, split shifts are a necessary part of life; you work when the work is there.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed