Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gavemyall  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2006 11:06:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have just received a note from my doc stating limitations of 20 lbs. max and limited bending. Stated I will not get better but that my present physical requirements as a PTF clerk will worsen my medical problems. Where do I begin? Have 619 sick leave hours and am under FERS. Have 15 years in and am 54 years of age. Anniversary date for USPS in January. Any advice would be appreciated.
Inquire  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2006 5:28:16 AM(UTC)

You probally need to request a reasonable accommodations.

quote:
Originally posted by Gavemyall:
I have just received a note from my doc stating limitations of 20 lbs. max and limited bending. Stated I will not get better but that my present physical requirements as a PTF clerk will worsen my medical problems. Where do I begin? Have 619 sick leave hours and am under FERS. Have 15 years in and am 54 years of age. Anniversary date for USPS in January. Any advice would be appreciated.
"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil."
Inquire  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:58:19 AM(UTC)

You must be careful. The PO may be able use that to terminate you. Or do you want to retire?

quote:
"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil."
Gavemyall  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2006 9:57:33 PM(UTC)

quote:
Originally posted by InquiringMind:
You must be careful. The PO may be able use that to terminate you. Or do you want to retire?

quote:

msfaye  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2006 1:29:17 AM(UTC)

Oviously you must think this is a game or you wouldn't call it that. 57 and 15 years PTF where do you work in a two man office. You should find other web sites, there are many and find out how the game is played paperwork, doctor appointments, harrassment. Tell your doctor you can do your work and go back to work. The hardest "game" to play is the back injury game because back injuries are many times just soft tissue. That's why they are so hard to prove. Unless of course you break it stepping on cracks. The postal service is getting ready to lay a bunch of people off (because they have a no lay off clause in the contract)and if you think it's not a lay off you are kidding yourself. So save yourself a headache. You can't get a disability retirement unless you are slobbering on yourself and if you do there is still more paperwork after you go out. You aren't just gonna get a check and then sit on the beach in Maui. A standard disabitily check is probably 40 percent of your current pay and you can't work ANYWHERE else (unless it's under the table) unless it's approved by the DOL and then they cut that 40% to 10% and still you gotta do paperwork to get that. Hope you understand it's not a "game". If you want to keep playing the game go ahead but remember the post office has more lawyers more resourses and more lobbyist than you do. Who do you think is going to win?
peaches  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2006 12:41:46 PM(UTC)

Disregard Sunnyday's post. I haven't seen that much misinformation in one post in a long time. Could be a mis-manager. For instance:

1.)You can't get a disability retirement unless you are slobbering on yourself and
2.)you can't work ANYWHERE else (unless it's under the table) unless it's approved by the DOL and then they cut that 40% to 10%.

Both are entirely false. As for, "Who do you think is going to win?" The answer is, "the claimant, if its legitimate, doctor does his job, and the claimant submits all the requested paperwork. Its not impossible and the PO isn't going to use all their lawyers to go after a claimant...one would do. If your claim is legit, you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an accommodation, though. The PO seems to prefer that we go out on disability.

According to OPM, on a disability retirement, you can earn up to 80% of the current rate of pay for the position you once held and still draw your OPM check (which is at least 40% of your high-3.)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed