Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shipresa  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2006 11:59:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Here is gist.

1998 entered federal service as a GS11 step one. Moved over to an agency with their own banding and was promoted twice in 18 months. Transfered to yet another agency with FS banding. Went through normal steps for 2 years. This was 5 years federal service.

Left federal service and went into non-profit with a salary of $60k, which matched my last federal salary.

Two years later, I return to fed service to a regular agency with GS schedule.

I apply and qualified for GS 12 and for GS 11. I interview, am offered the job. Letter comes in at GS 11, step one. I figure, well, we'll figure that one out later.

I start work, then approach HR and my supervisor about the fact that I'm 'starting over' and there was no salary match so there is a mistake.

I was told, 'no mistake.'

I was told that a veteran applied for that same job and qualified as a GS 12. The agency didn't want that person, they wanted me. So they hired at the GS 11 instead.

To my supervisor's upset, she found out that before the offer, she could have placed a superior achievement (or some such) criteria on my application so I'd come in at an 11 but at a step equalling my salary history. HR said since that wasn't done, it was technically a "new job" and me, the new person, must take the grade 11, step one.

What are my options...and if I walk, does this affect my future hiring levels?

It is hard to work 8 years only to land...smack dab at square one.
RadWaste50  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:05:16 AM(UTC)

You were offered and accepted a position at the GS-11 step 1.

quote:
Originally posted by Shipresa:
Here is gist.

1998 entered federal service as a GS11 step one. Moved over to an agency with their own banding and was promoted twice in 18 months. Transfered to yet another agency with FS banding. Went through normal steps for 2 years. This was 5 years federal service.

Left federal service and went into non-profit with a salary of $60k, which matched my last federal salary.

Two years later, I return to fed service to a regular agency with GS schedule.

I apply and qualified for GS 12 and for GS 11. I interview, am offered the job. Letter comes in at GS 11, step one. I figure, well, we'll figure that one out later.

I start work, then approach HR and my supervisor about the fact that I'm 'starting over' and there was no salary match so there is a mistake.

I was told, 'no mistake.'

I was told that a veteran applied for that same job and qualified as a GS 12. The agency didn't want that person, they wanted me. So they hired at the GS 11 instead.

To my supervisor's upset, she found out that before the offer, she could have placed a superior achievement (or some such) criteria on my application so I'd come in at an 11 but at a step equalling my salary history. HR said since that wasn't done, it was technically a "new job" and me, the new person, must take the grade 11, step one.

What are my options...and if I walk, does this affect my future hiring levels?

It is hard to work 8 years only to land...smack dab at square one.
ArmyCiv  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:15:34 AM(UTC)

Based on what I have read in the past, it is up to the Agency to decide whether or not they will "step you up". I am pretty sure that it is not required.

In any case, I think your mistake was accepting the position as a GS-11, Step 1. However, even so, you may be able to do something about it.

What agency do you work for?
ArmyCiv  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:38:30 AM(UTC)

IAW 5 CFR § 531.203(c), it appears as though the agency must give you the highest step of a GS-11 in which the pay coincides with the highest base salary from your previous high grade and step.

The agency has no requirement to hire you on at the target grade, even if you have already completed your probationary period and served in that target grade. You accepted a voluntary downgrade, by agreeing to accept a GS-11. All you can do is get your steps increased and start getting paid at your previous salary, or not less than. Depending on your previous grade and step, you could end up making slightly more.
Shipresa  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:18:42 AM(UTC)

HR claims that they couldn't hire me at the GS 12 - a veteran had applied and 'took' that grade - I couldn't be hired at that grade.

I assumed I'd have the 11 but at a step rate equivalent - but HR insists that they have to put me in at step one. They give no reason for that.

I disagree.
Lost In CA  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:49:39 AM(UTC)

"(1) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, the maximum rate of basic pay that may be paid a grade in which pay is currently being..."

The operative words are "maximum" and "may." They aren't required to offer a higher rate, so if you accept a job at step 1 after a voluntary break in service, I think you are, sorry to say, back at step/square 1.
ArmyCiv  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 12:57:30 AM(UTC)

Bring that reference to HR and tell them that they are required to step you up. All they have to do is verify your last base salary from your previous service. If you have your old SF-50, that would be a plus.

I wouldn't negotiate with them. Just tell them that they are required to do it or you are going to file a complaint. I'd be willing to be that they get that squared away real fast!!!
Shipresa  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:48:10 AM(UTC)

Thanks ArmyCiv - I had the OPM stuff with me when I went back to HR.

HR did admit that they dropped the ball and should have matched my previous salary - it was assumed and discussed at interview, etc., prior to the letter of employment. (Thus I felt comfortable that they made a mistake.)

Then came the issue: my opening the subject would force it to come to light that I was hired at a lower grade in order to NOT hire someone else from within. (I was on break from fed service and considered "outside.")

They promoted me under time in service, so I'm back to my former grade 12, matching my history of pay. It worked out - in this case. But I do agree that I made the mistake too - I should have questioned it before signing anything.
ArmyCiv  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 3:52:15 AM(UTC)

Hey, at least you got it worked out!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed