Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coop840  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 6:56:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I applied for disability in November 2007. My case was assigned on jan 29th 2008. I still have not received a decision. When I called to ask about this today, I was told my case was unassinged again. Why would one person have my case for 3 months and then suddenly it is unassigned again. Also the lady that it was assigned to told me she would have it finished by april 29th. I am trying hard not to lose evrything I have. I guess thats what they want.
superdave  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 8:00:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Usually at the time of year that your claim was submitted, there are many who are also retiring on regular retirement, so that may be one reason for the delay.
postalwiz  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 8:00:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Probably because the person it was assigned to
is no longer there. 3 months is about the
time it should take unless you have a case
where it is cut and dried and the Dr. states
that you are dying. However, due to the fact
that this one seems to be rotating around, I suggest you call OPM (are you under FERS or
CSRS) and if under FERS have you applied for
Disability SS benefits, it can hold it up as you
are required to do so; get your claim # and
write your local State Senators and explain to
them what is happening and the fact that you
are in need of monies; have you run out of
Sick Leave? if you haven't, use it. I am sure
your State Senators will contact OPM and I would
not only write to them but I would contact
their offices in your town.
coop840  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 9:57:42 AM(UTC)

I am under fers. I also have already filed for ss. It makes me angry that someone has my case for so long and then it is suddenly unassigned. I will take your advice and write to my senator. Thanks for your help.
coop840  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 2:00:07 PM(UTC)

Well I got my approval letter today. I am so glad this is over. I didn't hire an attorney, so that makes it even better. How long does it take for your first check to arrive?
systemskaren  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:37:06 AM(UTC)

I have had my package in the same as you, the exact time frame I might add. I just called yesterday, and my case worker told me she gave it to a doctor (as if it wasn't all plain enough), and started giving me all her woes. How she was going to be out sick...I'm losing everything. I'm wondering if they have the same package I sent or did they lose documentation somewhere...she kept saying need more documentation. I don't get it. My package was large and pretty straight forward from doctors to supervisors.

I'm glad you got good news. I keep trying to stay positive! Its hard when I'm not positive anyway.....somedays I just want to give up....

Karen W.
postalwiz  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:36:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
KarenW do not get discouraged; all disability
retirements have to be approved by an OPM
Dr., they review the packet, they indicate whether or not applicant should be contacted
and they either approve or disapprove, it does
not matter whether or not everything is as clear
as good water, it is the way the system is set
up not to have someone without a medical degree
make a decision on a disability. Again as I advised the person above, do you have your CSA or CSF#? if FERS have you applied for SS? requirement, call them one more time, no answer
contact your Senators by mail and phone, just
like I advised to the person that just got
approved.
coop840  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:31:15 PM(UTC)

Don't give up. Just when I least expected it my approval arrived. I know it is hard to stay positive because I have the same problems. Hang in there and hopefully you will get good news real soon.
systemskaren  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:29:48 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the words of inspiration. I've never felt so discouraged in my life. Every waking moment is just anticipating the worst, hoping for the best, while my life is falling apart. Its really hard not knowing what to do or how to plan anything, I'm behind 2 months in rent, just in general *****ing. Yes, I received the SS disaproval from the state. THey said they weren't turning it down because of my health, but because I still manage to come to work 1/3 of the time. But they did say other avenues were available to me such as govt disability, which as you know I am waiting for. Thanks for the uplifting words guys.

Karen
princessjune  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:32:20 AM(UTC)

I noticed you said you did not use an attorney. Did you write your statements yourself? Is there any way I could contact you for your experience?
coop840  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:04:07 AM(UTC)

If you would like to contact me that is fine. My email is coop840@insightbb.com. However there are people on this board who know alot more than me. Postalwiz really knows his stuff and gave me some very usefull info. But I will answer any question for you I can.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed