Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BarbieGee  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2010 2:46:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Is the Army Air Force Exchange Services a contractor or a federal agency?  Found on their website is this statement. "AAFES is an instrumentality of the United States and a joint command of
the Army and Air Force."  Are the people who work for AAFES federal workers?
m2talk  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:50:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The Army & Air Force Exchange Service (or AAFES) is an agency of the United States Department of Defense. Its dual missions are to provide quality merchandise and services of necessity and convenience to authorized customers at uniform low prices, and to generate reasonable earnings to supplement appropriated funds for the support of United States Army and Air Force Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) programs. AAFES is headquartered in Dallas, Texas and is presently commanded by Major General Keith Lee Thurgood. The position of AAFES commander rotates between the Army and Air Force. The Navy operates the equivalent Navy Exchange (NEX), while the Marine Corps operates the Marine Corps Exchange (MCX) and the United States Coast Guard operates the Coast Guard Exchange (CGX).
William Dieterich  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2010 3:46:23 PM(UTC)
Will

They are federal employees but are NAF. 

Since you are NAF there are different rules for being considered "status" on usajobs.gov if you ever want to do non-NAF work.

Also check with your local area AAFES since they do the hiring.

BarbieGee  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 3:11:37 PM(UTC)

Will wrote:

They are federal employees but are NAF. 

Since you are NAF there are different rules for being considered "status" on usajobs.gov if you ever want to do non-NAF work.

Also check with your local area AAFES since they do the hiring.

If an AAFES employee is considered NAF, what sort of 'status' is given? That is, can a NAF status empolyee apply for say, a postal position which is listed as 'competitive status'. These terms are unclear to me.

William Dieterich  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:47:36 PM(UTC)
Will

Could not remeber what it was called but now have remembered, NAF interchange agreement, and found this http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp#InterchangeAgreementsWithOtherMeritSystems
Len Nadybal  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:48:34 AM(UTC)
lnadybal

AAFES is such a large instrumentality, the federal courts have deemed it to be a federal agency, unlike smaller NAFIs (the slot machine organization, the military community morale support funds and the like).  It's employees, nevertheless, are paid from AAFES profits (not taxpayer money) and are not career civil service or excepted civil service employees.   They are "federal" employees for certain purposes - which you can see by reviewing Title 5 of the US Code and Title 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

The key word on the OPM website to search, to find out how to go from civilian APF - NAF and back, and what you can gain and will lose in the process is "Portability".  If you want to port between a military NAF and a DoD APF civil service career or excepted service position, visit the government website nafbenefits.com.   You don't lose so much staying under the military umbrella. 

Congress is to blame for all of this - for 20+ years it's been in a piecemeal patch up mode, trying to make NAFI employees as equal as it can to civil service - a benny here and a bennie there but it's like gays wanting the rights of marriage - Congress just can't make the leap to genuine "equal" and genuine "married" in either case.

What's maddening is that the rules say one is an "employee" if one works under a presidentially appointed manager and fulfills a governmental purpose.  It also says one who fits that category is to be given credit for leave accrual, and similar, regardless of whether one is participating in FERS or CSRS or not... but try to get an APF HR office to recognize that - all they want to do is go to their tables in the OPM manual which doesn't cover that - they pick off the case according to the table - and voila! we've got a decision (against you because it doesn't extend to cover what the statute and CFRs say). 

Be very, very careful of making commitments to NAFI plans and benefits you can't back out of later.

BarbieGee  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:20:00 PM(UTC)

Thanks, Inadybal, for a most information and understandable response to this question of AAFES status.
I am employed at a German AAFES facility that is now scheduled to close within 5 years (heard that 10 years ago but this time they seem somewhat certain) and have been trying to evaluate my status so I can apply for new positions, perhaps state-side. I wanted to know if I could apply for federal positions as civil service 'career' or 'competitive'. All these classifications are lost on me as there is really nothing within the AAFES websites or our HR that give me clues as to what the employees of AAFES are.
Your explanation is the closest to understandable that I have found. However I am sure I will find other application wording that will leave me wondering 'can I apply for this?'.
I am sure an entire manual could be written on how to apply for federal positions (and have been) but would need to include all these little hidden bits.

Thanks again, Inadybal.

Len Nadybal  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:49:27 PM(UTC)
lnadybal

Dear BarbieGee
You can wait around to see what the community will offer under a closure (or a base realignment "BRAC" process) or you can jump ship by applying for other jobs elsewhere.  If you apply for a civil service - competitive service government job through USAJOBS.GOV or AVUE.COM without AAFES help to "port" due to government action, and start civil service tenure fresh, you'll be able to use the AAFES time towards federal retirement (but likely not with the contributions that would raise your retirement annuity amount), and maybe get to stay in NAF retirement - but if you choose to do that, you'll not be able to participate in the federal thrift savings plan as a true fed.  If you apply for a civil service - excepted service job, other rules apply that the excepted service agencies have - they can, in certain cases, run their own shops without having to apply OPM rules strictly.  In any event, to apply for  civil service - competitive service job, you'll have to apply as a person "new off the street" with no rights to transfer as though you were a person with prior service (unless you qualify from an earlier position or as a veteran, or other socio-economic entitlement).  On the NAFI side, make sure the position you apply for is with an organization that offers housing, etc.  Many don't.  Some require you to be in the US to apply - not just apply in the US, but be here, with residency re-established (even if only to get sent back to Europe).  If you want to see NAF job listings, visit http://acpol.army.mil/employment/naf.htm.  If you want to see what the UN and NATO have overseas, visit http://www.state.gov/p/io/rls/iva/2010/index.htm or http://www.wmo.int/pages...cancies/jobslist_en.html and
http://www.nato.int/structur/recruit/nato-bodies.html

Regards LN

BarbieGee  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:58:19 AM(UTC)

Thanks much for the links. The more resources the better my chances are.
You are a well-spring of information and I needed that.

davidg1982  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:15:21 PM(UTC)

Wait, your saying that NAF folks can't apply for other jobs through Competitive Service or as a Status Candidate, even after a year?
If that is the case, then why even go NAF and your intention is to go into the Competitive Service?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed