Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

765 Pages«<148149150151152>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Deadlift650  
#2981 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:10:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Did anybody get hired or it is just a fairy tale?
Bryan  
#2982 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:38:46 AM(UTC)
twice_deuced

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
SoFLA1 wrote:
Riddler wrote:
i need a suit !
oh geez, i dont own one.

At my airport the dress code was Business Casual. I wore dress slacks, dress shirt, tie, belt and shoes (freshly polished) and was IMO dressed appropriately.

Yup, I wore the same but I was not aware of any dress code.  One guy that was there at the same time as me was wearing slacks and a sport coat/tie.  Personally, I think a suit is a little overkill for this position, but there's no harm in it.  You don't need to go drop hundreds of dollars on a new suit for this one.  If you do have a suit (or the cash to buy one), it's up to you.  Some will disagree with this, but hey, whatever - a lot of us have passed without a suit.  Definitely wear what is described above at minimum though.  They're wanting to see that you can look professional and that you are taking the opportunity seriously, not to judge your style.  After all, you will be wearing a blue shirt and black pants like the rest of the lackeys once you are hired.  Whatever you wear, don't forget about the little things - trim and clean your nails, get a nice haircut, shave, don't wear cologne, check/correct your breath, take out ear rings/nose rings /lip rings/eyebrow rings/any other face rings/gold tooth veneers/etc., pluck your nose hairs, pop your zits, zip your fly, and don't pass gas.  Seriously though, use common sense and don't sweat it!  Besides it showing that you care about your appearance, looking good makes you feel good and that helps you confidence.  I know you will be fine, good luck!
YN1Laurie  
#2983 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:42:53 AM(UTC)

I bought mine at Macy's for $84 (keep in mind I am a female, so I am not gonna be wearing a tie anyway).  It was originally $200, but I found a nice looking one (that does not happen often) on a sales rack.  I bought a standard white blouse to go with it.
mirek  
#2984 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:55:25 AM(UTC)

I wore dress pants, a nice blouse w/ vest, and heels. All of the men I saw at my AA were wearing suits, except for one guy I saw wearing baggy jeans and a Hornets jersey mirek2010-07-27 15:01:19
Rh&#111;nda  
#2985 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:27:18 AM(UTC)
Rhonnie

Deadlift650 wrote:
Plenty of people.
Rh&#111;nda  
#2986 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:36:18 AM(UTC)
Rhonnie

NYC2010 wrote:
@<span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; font-size: 15px; font-weight: bold; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">ccshotgun1987 I started the process for JFK late May and I am scheduled for my AA this Wednesday. I know they just had an orientation for JFK so I don't see them having another one for quite some time..this job is just the waiting game..I hope u get scheduled soon!</span>

I applied in the beginning of June.
Hopefully I get a call soon, but I won't hold my breath though.
Lol.
ts82177  
#2987 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:55:04 AM(UTC)

mirek wrote:
I wore dress pants, a nice blouse w/ vest, and heels. All of the men I saw at my AA were wearing suits, except for one guy I saw wearing baggy jeans and a Hornets jersey

Lol, most likely they passed that person too! Since its Gov't they cant discriminate anyone!
ts82177  
#2988 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:01:02 AM(UTC)

Deadlift650 wrote:

LOL, im starting to wonder the same thing! my e86 did go through finally so im just waiting for the actual background check now. helpdesk said this could take MONTHS to complete, they said it like it was a shock to me. I should of just asked how many YEARS does it take for the background check to be completed?
Runner1  
#2989 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:15:00 AM(UTC)

Do they check speeding citations during the background check?  How much do they look into these speeding tickets in the background check?  Let's say I got one right before my AA, should I be worried or if I just report it when needed, should I be fine?
gamespeopleplay  
#2990 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:30:16 AM(UTC)

Runner1 wrote:
Do they check speeding citations during the background check?  How much do they look into these speeding tickets in the background check?  Let's say I got one right before my AA, should I be worried or if I just report it when needed, should I be fine?

I got a speeding ticket about a week before my AA. I just listed it on the questionnaire they gave me and then on the e86. Not a big deal. They do tell if you, if the traffic infraction is over 300 you must list it. I listed another from 5 years ago however im pretty sure it was very low. Either way better to have listed then not at all. 

As for the background phase, well i do know it varies significantly based off factors such as age, how many jobs youve had, where you have lived, etc etc. I guesstimate about 8 to 12 weeks but ive heard longer. Im currently in the background area. 

Crack the TSA JOB Process! - www.tsa-tso-jobs.com - Check it out!
NightElfMohawk  
#2991 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:11:45 AM(UTC)

Is anyone applying to Phoenix Sky Harbor?
Mark Gates  
#2992 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:29:22 AM(UTC)
Common Guy

Here's mine, but I've taken the medical test and I submitted the background check a few weeks ago. I'm looking for a job CompletedCompletedCompletedCompletedCurrentApplication ReceivedComputer Based TestContingent OfferCredit CheckAirport Assessmente86 FormsMedical/Drug EvaluationBackground CheckReady PooleOrientation InitiatedEntry On DutyWelcome to TSA!05/25/201006/05/201006/06/201006/17/201007/07/201007/07/2010------            at LAX, Burbank, or Long Beach...
Mark Gates  
#2993 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:33:32 AM(UTC)
Common Guy

...at LAX, or Burbank, or Long Beach.  BTW, I've completed everything up to the med check.  Just waiting (like everyone else.) 
Rh&#111;nda  
#2994 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:40:21 AM(UTC)
Rhonnie

This e86 is getting on my nerves and my brother and sister aren't helping me with not giving me their info!
jtgt350  
#2995 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:09:24 PM(UTC)

twice_deuced wrote:
SoFLA1 wrote:
Riddler wrote:
i need a suit !
oh geez, i dont own one.

At my airport the dress code was Business Casual. I wore dress slacks, dress shirt, tie, belt and shoes (freshly polished) and was IMO dressed appropriately.

Yup, I wore the same but I was not aware of any dress code.  One guy that was there at the same time as me was wearing slacks and a sport coat/tie.  Personally, I think a suit is a little overkill for this position, but there's no harm in it.  You don't need to go drop hundreds of dollars on a new suit for this one.  If you do have a suit (or the cash to buy one), it's up to you.  Some will disagree with this, but hey, whatever - a lot of us have passed without a suit.  Definitely wear what is described above at minimum though.  They're wanting to see that you can look professional and that you are taking the opportunity seriously, not to judge your style.  After all, you will be wearing a blue shirt and black pants like the rest of the lackeys once you are hired.  Whatever you wear, don't forget about the little things - trim and clean your nails, get a nice haircut, shave, don't wear cologne, check/correct your breath, take out ear rings/nose rings /lip rings/eyebrow rings/any other face rings/gold tooth veneers/etc., pluck your nose hairs, pop your zits, zip your fly, and don't pass gas.  Seriously though, use common sense and don't sweat it!  Besides it showing that you care about your appearance, looking good makes you feel good and that helps you confidence.  I know you will be fine, good luck!
When I received my e-mail and phone call, I was told to "Please dress appropriately for the Professional Interview" which I took as to wear a suit and tie. I figured best to overdress than to underdress. There were 8 people scheduled for the AA, 4 others that I saw were also in suits. 2 people were dressed in business casual (slacks, dress shirts and no ties), and 1 came dressed in jeans and a polo shirt - all 3 of them were gone when I came back out after taking my vision test. One of the other applicants there told me they were asked to leave and they were disqualified for not following directions. Being underdressed could be fatal. There is no harm at all in being overdressed in my opinion.
Deadlift650  
#2996 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:17:18 PM(UTC)

Thanks common guy for f-the page up people know how the time line looks.
jtgt350  
#2997 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:20:37 PM(UTC)

After passing my AA, I was told I had 21 days to submit my e86 forms (which I did about a month BEFORE my AA - which they confirmed receiving at my AA) and respond to any corrections as needed. It has been over 21 days, and I have since taken my Medical Evaluation, but have not received any correction e-mails about my e86 forms. I called the Helpdesk and all they could tell me is that they received the forms. My Dashboard is not updated (still has me at the AA stage) and the helpdesk said they are having issues with it. Does this mean everything on the forms was ok? (no corrections needed)? At the end of my AA, I was told it would be about 75 days until I was placed in the "Ready Pool" if I passed the Medical, but it seems like that is way off based on what I've seen here about the waiting time for the Medical Assessment alone.
Runner1  
#2998 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:43:15 PM(UTC)

For those who have made it through the training or is in the process of the training, did you have any other responsibilities and/or obligations that prevented you from doing the OJT and other full-time training?  Are they flexible about training?  Do they work around your schedule or do they have set dates for you, which you follow their dates or you are removed from the training pool?
JonDoe  
#2999 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:33:55 PM(UTC)

Anyone know if LAX is still hiring?? I ask because i completed my medical on june 7th and im waiting for it to clear and enter backgrounds...
SoFLA1  
#3000 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:35:31 PM(UTC)

twice_deuced wrote:

Yup, I wore the same but I was not aware of any dress code.

The dress code of Business Casual was mentioned to me during the call to schedule my AA. The TSA person specifically warned me about no jeans, shorts, sneakers or flip-flops. The person said don't laugh, some people think flip-flops are acceptable anytime in Florida. Also, the e-mail confirming my AA also stated " Appropriate Dress is Business Casual ". I'm sure each airport could be different. If I hadn't been told business casual, then I would've worn a suit just to be safe. Smile
SoFLA12010-07-28 06:55:53
Rss Feed  Atom Feed