Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
awhitehall  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 12:17:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

My husband works for DoD as an apprentice.  We worry about our mortgage payment because our expense to income ratio is overwhelming, and we do all we can to keep our mortgage current, even clipping coupons to save on groceries.  Is it a myth or reality that if you default or late on your mortgage payment, he will be removed from his job?Confused
Knight  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 1:49:36 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 395 post(s)
Usually not, unless they fear you might take bribes to reveal GOV secrets or worry you might steal GOV funds or such to pay your bills. I know many people that have declared bankruptcy and kept their jobs.
sakijo  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:18:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
All that checking usually happens before you get the job.  My friend selected someone to fill a position and HR called to let her know that he was a bad credit risk, late on paying, etc, but she told them she would hire him (they knew him).  She's had to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get into more financial trouble and works with him to try to get financially healthy.  She has told him that one scew up and he's gone, so he tries hard to get better.

From what I get, your husband already got the job and now you're in a tight situatiion.  I don't think he could get fired over that - unless he works in a financial area or has access to government money.
ginaplegge  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:37:56 AM(UTC)
msarmyciv

shouldn't be an issue unless he has a S or TS clearance.  If that's the case, it may be an issue, so it's best for him to talk to his security manager and let him know what's going on. 

awhitehall  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:41:42 AM(UTC)

Hey that's a relief to finally hear this, thanks, not that I'm going to start being late on our mortgage or anything, but I fear it might, but then it might not.  He says he's getting a promotion and will graduate soon, so it'll help us a little bit.  If our property tax doesn't keep going up.
awhitehall  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:46:50 AM(UTC)

We both have great credit and we don't do anything questionable.  We're too afraid of getting into trouble, so the government don't have to worry about us.  I used to work for government contractors and they only checked my background once before hiring.  I got nothing to hide.
RinMD  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 3:23:02 AM(UTC)

I think they just want to make sure there's no fox guarding the hen house or a financially irresponsible person (which can indicate lack of self-control, discipline, responsibility, attention to detail, or other excuse-making behavior) handling or managing important programs or people.

Isolated life events like a major illness (or other things largely out of one's control or not a result of a severe lack of judgment or poor choices) would probably not be something in the same category and treated as such...

awhitehall  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 3:53:23 AM(UTC)

Right I understand perfectly what the government is doing.  Although sometimes I don't because of their own financial mess.
RinMD  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 3:58:48 AM(UTC)

awhitehall wrote:
Right I understand perfectly what the government is doing.  Although sometimes I don't because of their own financial mess.

I nominate your comment as the QUOTE OF THE DAY!
awhitehall  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 5:27:24 AM(UTC)

I'm surprised and thank youTongue
jerome  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:02:02 PM(UTC)

is there a reason why your not working to make ends meet?
awhitehall  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:16:35 PM(UTC)

I am working, from home that is.  It is best this way, especially when one kid demands a lot of medical attention.  Saves from having to pay daycare cost too.  I find out I don't deal well with people.  Too much stress at work, so much discrimination and unfair treatment.  I like to be my own boss.
Rugger0  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 1:51:58 AM(UTC)

It's likely he wont be fired for defaulting, but he will be susceptible to losing a clearance if the problems persist because that will be looked on as economic vulnerability - losing clearance could mean losing job.
Rugger02010-11-22 09:57:18
awhitehall  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 2:23:33 AM(UTC)

God forbid that should happen to us.  Our family and life will be in chaos.  This is getting fearfully depressing to talk anymore of this although it is reality.  My husband is graduating and should get a promotion based on his work ethics.  Positively thinking.  With careful money management we should do better, soon I hope.
Knight  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 2:36:43 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 395 post(s)
Hopefully everything will work out fine. We all have had to face something that might keep us awake at night. Tighten your belt, work out a plan and show improvement; that is all you can do. If that is not good enough you move on to another job.  Good luck.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed