Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BRAC - Base Realignment and Closure

The effects of a base closure can be huge - causing much stress and questions. This forum can help with the sharing of ideas, suggestions, and answers of those affected (currently or in the past) by BRAC.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buckeyeguy2010  
#21 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:59:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
dstrob: I agree that Fort Monmouth (FM) will be closed.  But what redevelopment actions have been made and/or are in the process of being made?  Please provide a staus report.  Also, can those who are/have been in the area of APG in MD please provide information about what construction/activities have taken place to handle the transferring FM functions and assist former FM personnel with their transfers? 
Retreaded DD/GS Careerist
dstrob  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:12:46 AM(UTC)

You're kidding, right?  A "status report?" Do you take me for a person who does not uphold the principles of OPSEC? I'm a loyal and professional federal employee. Someone please monitor this person's posts...
TRW  
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:26:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
dstrob wrote:
RIP Fort Monmouth. Died at the hands of greedy politicians.

I fail to see what made Fort Monmouth so special that it was such a tragedy and loss to close compared to the 200+ other posts, forts, bases, airfields, and other facilities that were closed by BRAC actions since the early 90's?  Get over it.
TRW2011-07-14 12:32:44
TRW  
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:47:01 AM(UTC)

buckeyeguy2010 wrote:
dstrob: I agree that Fort Monmouth (FM) will be closed.  But what redevelopment actions have been made and/or are in the process of being made?  Please provide a staus report.  Also, can those who are/have been in the area of APG in MD please provide information about what construction/activities have taken place to handle the transferring FM functions and assist former FM personnel with their transfers? 

APG status:
- Parking at the new buildings sucks.  Sort of like parking at the old 1200 area at FM sucked.
- Bathrooms at the new buildings suck.  Six urinals and six toilet stalls for 800 people.
- Traffic sucks.  I live in Aberdeen and it takes me 30 minutes and four long traffic lights to get home some days.
- Lots of road construction.  Spend your on-base commute dodging potholes, traffic cones, construction equipment, and unit PT.  Enjoy the interesting and unusual detours you sometimes have to take to get to work.
- MD route 22 between I-95 and post needs to grow from 4 to 6 lanes. 
Other than this......things are going well.
buckeyeguy2010  
#25 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:19:13 AM(UTC)

How about a report on what efforts either have been taken, are in the process of being taken or are planned to be taken in the future to redevelop the Fort Monmouth site.  This could include converting it to some other use by either another federal agency, a state or local governemnt agency and/or some other type of public or private sector organization.   I cannot believe that Ft. Monmouth is just going to just be closed and then locked up to just sit there and waste away!
TRW  
#26 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 10:57:33 PM(UTC)

Don't know about any reuse at Monmouth.  What I heard was that the base will be divvyed up by the local municipalities (Eatontown, Oceanport, Little Silver, Red Bank, etc) that border it but this may just be a rumor.

Some bases have sucessfully made the transition to civilian reuse (Chanute AFB, IL) and others have laid dormant for years before anything was done (Hamilton AFB, CA).
Duckncover  
#27 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 11:06:41 PM(UTC)

Civilian reuse makes sense; maybe a campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey?  I know that Arizona State University turned Williams AFB into a campus of their school.
job forlife  
#28 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:59:21 AM(UTC)

The housing will be made section 8
Eva  
#29 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 10:16:01 AM(UTC)
007GF

Does anyone know how the military investigative agencies' move from DC to Quantico is going? Everyone should be in place by September 15th, I hear. 
buckeyeguy2010  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:41:13 PM(UTC)

007GF: I think you need to ask this question again as a new topic in this category.  Asking it in this topic (which primarily involves people with an interest in/connection to Fort Monmouth) is less likely to get a reply from someone who knows about the situation at Quantico.
Eva  
#31 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 7:37:10 AM(UTC)
007GF

Totally correct, buckeyeguy2010! Thank you for your reply.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed