Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

7 Pages«<4567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GoingGS  
#101 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:13:31 AM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/29/2007(UTC)
Posts: 113

@WWVJ
 
I think you may need to research a liitle reference UMUC. Though there are many degree mills out there selling diplomas, UMUC is not one of them. I'm currently taking courses at UMUC and have never had a problem getting reimbursed for both for courses and tests/exams given there. This is for face to face courses and online courses. I know of many soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen doing the same, without problem. Not to mention they are part of the Univeristy of Maryland system and are regionally accredited. Just wondering...
 
totj  
#102 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:32:04 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

truotsuko  
#103 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:47:23 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Great posting and quite informative, but if it was to refer to our original discussion of WGU you have throughly missed the boat, for the millionth time WGU is a not for profit.
truotsuko  
#104 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:51:09 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Seeing as I love quotes from reliable sources, I will use one from your online link...

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/09/05/rick-perrys-plan-10000-for-a-ba/slashing-college-costs-a-glimpse-of-the-future?scp=1&sq=Western%20Governors%20University&st=Search




truotsuko2011-09-25 19:15:22
totj  
#105 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 4:32:21 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

In reference to the Rick Perry $10K for a BA... LOL its a BA. People who obtain jobs that pay these days have BS degrees. This is why the US is lagging in MST programs. Who the hell wants a BA?

As for your comment on the link I posted, Im not sure if you have the reading skills to catch on to the point of the article.

The point is about substandard education and a boatload of loans that are unpayable. WGU uses the same "credit for experience" crap as the for-profits. Its no different just because they are charging less. In fact the 2010 national student loan default average for private schools, which is what WGU is, was 4%. WGU is at 5%. So, they are a full % higher than the national average while charging much less... do some quantitative analysis and see what that tells you.

You arent helping your case.

WGU is a ***** school with lax academic standards, and thus doesnt commend jobs with significant pay. Attend a half assed school and you will receive a half assed job.

You keep defending WGU because you attend the university. I and others understand that. The problem is that you have no other academic experience to compare that to. WGU is not as good as you assume it to be. Sorry, life sucks sometimes.

totj2011-09-26 12:40:07
truotsuko  
#106 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:45:57 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

While I appreciate your obvious expertise and repeated efforts to put words in my mouth, you have failed and will continue to fail in that attempt. I am old enough to know when such tactics are being employed.

I will make a change in my stance, because the original crux or our disagreement was your statement that because the MS in Information Security and Assurance contained CCNA rather than CCIE it made the program a joke. Based solely on that statement I can tell you that you are absolutely clueless what IA means and/or entails stick to networking as that is what you know and are good at.

With regards to WGU being a crap school, that sir is your personal opinion and you are totally entitled to that.

The school obviously does not compare to other well established institutions, such as MIT, Harvard, Yale, GA Tech, among others. But by the yard stick set forth by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (http://www.nwccu.org/) (the regional accrediting body for the State of Utah); the school meets required academic standards. The IA program that you so callously dismiss as being inadequate, meets the standard set by the National Security Agency (http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/iace_program/index.shtml).

The point I tried to make and will continue making is, compared to the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and the National Security Agency you sir are clueless.

Now if you are going to tell me that you are in a better position than those institutions’ to make a call about a Universities efficiency or the lack there of then I submit sir that you have a seriously over inflated ego. I would understand if the university did not meet any of the required bench marks that are needed but it meets and far exceeds the standard benchmarks set forth. With regards to successful job placement after graduation, again you are not only misguided but need to stop outright lying; don’t mean to attack you personally but I do not know what else to call it when you consistent pull arbitrary figures from what has to be your fourth point of contact.

It is either someone from an online school beat you out from a job or you sir have a clear set vendetta because I have repeatedly stated you have not made one salient point backed with facts other than your personal opinions, and please do not attempt to speak for everyone here because this boat you put yourself in alone and do not need to have others dragged down in the mire with you.

 


truotsuko2011-09-26 17:30:39
truotsuko  
#107 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 8:15:25 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

totj wrote:

In fact the 2010 national student loan default average for private schools, which is what WGU is, was 4%. WGU is at 5%. So, they are a full % higher than the national average while charging much less... do some quantitative analysis and see what that tells you.

You arent helping your case.

WGU is a ***** school with lax academic standards, and thus doesnt commend jobs with significant pay. Attend a half assed school and you will receive a half assed job.

You keep defending WGU because you attend the university. I and others understand that. The problem is that you have no other academic experience to compare that to. WGU is not as good as you assume it to be. Sorry, life sucks sometimes.


By the yardstick you laid that means that GA State University is a crap school with default rates of 4.1% in 2009, or GA Southern (4.8%), or Clark Atlanta (9.1%), or Southern Polytechnic State University (7.3%). While I take your point that defaulting on your student loan is a good barometer on job placement. Then based on your argument someone attending Clark Atlanta (9.1%) ought to drop out immediately and transfer to WGU (4.9%). I contend that a Clark Atlanta degree is worth more than a WGU degree any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Even Princeton ranked number 2 in the country has a default rate of 2.2% http://www.nslds.ed.gov/...?sno=1&ope_id=002627
or Columbia College ranked number 4 has a default rate of 7.4%
http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/defaultmanagement/cohortdetail.cfm?sno=2&ope_id=001665

Check the figures out yourself... http://www.nslds.ed.gov/...gement/search_cohort.cfm
totj  
#108 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 9:34:29 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285




truotsuko wrote:

While I appreciate your obvious expertise and repeated efforts to put words in my mouth, you have failed and will continue to fail in that attempt. I am old enough to know when such tactics are being employed.

I will make a change in my stance, because the original crux or our disagreement was your statement that because the MS in Information Security and Assurance contained CCNA rather than CCIE it made the program a joke. Based solely on that statement I can tell you that you are absolutely clueless what IA means and/or entails stick to networking as that is what you know and are good at.


I am the IA and EMSEC manager for my base... and those are my additional duties. Im a network engineer by trade, and currently work as the base project manager. I know a hell of a lot more than you assume, and Im pretty confident you don't want to measure credentials or resumes. I think I know a little about IA. And yes, CCNA material taught at the masters level is a joke. 



truotsuko wrote:

With regards to WGU being a crap school, that sir is your personal opinion and you are totally entitled to that.


Yup. As is everyone else telling you the same thing.


truotsuko wrote:

The school obviously does not compare to other well established institutions, such as MIT, Harvard, Yale, GA Tech, among others.


No *****, really?


truotsuko wrote:

But by the yard stick set forth by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (http://www.nwccu.org/) (the regional accrediting body for the State of Utah); the school meets required academic standards.


Newsflash: Even accredited schools can be a joke. There is a reason we call them "party schools". There is a reason that athletic conferences and the NCAA track academic performance and rigor. There is a reason the ACC specifically has the highest academically rated conference in the country. 


Its called the Academic Progress Rate, or APR. Educate yourself: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15234331/apr-rankings-show-acc-getting-it-done-in-the-classroom/rss



truotsuko wrote:

 The IA program that you so callously dismiss as being inadequate, meets the standard set by the National Security Agency (http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/iace_program/index.shtml).

The point I tried to make and will continue making is, compared to the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and the National Security Agency you sir are clueless.


And that means what? 


It seems like you don't know how to read the pages you link to or source from. Lets take your own provided link: http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/iace_program/index.shtml


Ill take a shot in the dark that you didn't read this disclaimer, so let me emphasize it a bit for you:


The certification process does not address the quality of the presentation of the material within the courseware; it simply ensures that all the elements of a specific standard are included.



truotsuko wrote:

Now if you are going to tell me that you are in a better position than those institutions’ to make a call about a Universities efficiency or the lack there of then I submit sir that you have a seriously over inflated ego. I would understand if the university did not meet any of the required bench marks that are needed but it meets and far exceeds the standard benchmarks set forth. With regards to successful job placement after graduation, again you are not only misguided but need to stop outright lying; don’t mean to attack you personally but I do not know what else to call it when you consistent pull arbitrary figures from what has to be your fourth point of contact.


You clearly do not understand that the NSA endorsement simply means the program has all the checkmarks in their boxes. It doesn't speak to the quality of the program, which is the substance of the discussion.


truotsuko wrote:

It is either someone from an online school beat you out from a job or your sir have a clear set vendetta because I have repeatedly stated you have not made one salient point backed with facts other than your personal opinions, and please do not attempt to speak for everyone here because this boat you put yourself in alone and do not need to have others dragged down in the mire with you.


Let me guess... you learned how to argue on the Internet at WGU? Probably why you're getting smacked around with your own links... and logic.

 


totj2011-09-26 17:44:24
truotsuko  
#109 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:00:41 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)




Normal
0




false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE













MicrosoftInternetExplorer4



























































































































































/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}


I was hoping that
you would take the answers I gave and simply scuttle away but I knew your ego
would not allow you. Listen all I have said and continue to say is the agencies
listed have a little more credibility than you do, you are simply pulling facts and figures from the sky;


Normal
0




false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE













MicrosoftInternetExplorer4































































































































totj  
#110 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:02:43 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

truotsuko wrote:


By the yardstick you laid that means that GA State University is a crap school with default rates of 4.1% in 2009, or GA Southern (4.8%), or Clark Atlanta (9.1%), or Southern Polytechnic State University (7.3%). While I take your point that defaulting on your student loan is a good barometer on job placement. Then based on your argument someone attending Clark Atlanta (9.1%) ought to drop out immediately and transfer to WGU (4.9%). I contend that a Clark Atlanta degree is worth more than a WGU degree any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Even Princeton ranked number 2 in the country has a default rate of 2.2% http://www.nslds.ed.gov/...?sno=1&ope_id=002627
or Columbia College ranked number 4 has a default rate of 7.4%
http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/defaultmanagement/cohortdetail.cfm?sno=2&ope_id=001665

Check the figures out yourself... http://www.nslds.ed.gov/...gement/search_cohort.cfm

You really don't know how to research, do you? WGA all the way baby!

Graduates of public colleges defaulted at a rate of 6%.
Students graduating from private schools had a 4% default rate.
Graduates of for-profit colleges defaulted at a rate of 11.6%

Universities academic quality are measured by the student loan default rate. It is a metric used to determine if the University is providing an education substantive enough for its graduates to obtain gainful employment. If those Universities exceed a rate set by the US Government, the Universities become ineligible for federal aid. http://chronicle.com/article/New-Measure-of-Student-Loan/49484/

So, given the provided barometer above, lets check this out.

Clark Atlanta (private), 9.1% default rate = sucks.
GA Southern (public), 4.8%, default rate = fine.
Southern Polytechnic State University (public) 7.3%, default rate = not good
WGU (private), 4.9%, default rate = not good
Princeton (private) 2.2%, default rate = excellent
Columbia College (private) 7.4%, default rate = sucks

You do know that you looked up Columbia COLLEGE as in :

Columbia College
600 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago   IL  60605-1996 

and not Columbia UNIVERSITY as in THE COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY (http://www.columbia.edu/):


Columbia University in the City of New York
210 Kent Hall
New York   NY  10027-0000 

which has a default rate of 1.9%, right?

No, you didn't. 

Would you like to keep telling me how much I don't know? Perhaps you should send your post to an administrator to have it proof read prior to submitting. It would be the equivalent of not letting you outside of your house without a helmet.

truotsuko  
#111 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:09:27 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Once again thank you for the personal attack, yes I know I posted Columbia College not Columbia University that is because Columbia University has three undergraduate schools: Columbia College,
The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), and the School of General Studies.
http://www.college.columbia.edu/
So once again as you should be accustomed to you speak before reading...
totj  
#112 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:12:08 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285



truotsuko wrote:




Normal
0




false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE













MicrosoftInternetExplorer4



























































































































































/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}


 

Normal
0




false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE













MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

































































































































totj  
#113 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:16:56 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285


truotsuko wrote:
Once again thank you for the personal attack, yes I know I posted Columbia College not Columbia University that is because Columbia University has three undergraduate schools: Columbia College,
The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), and the School of General Studies.
http://www.college.columbia.edu/
So once again as you should be accustomed to you speak before reading...

Hey Spanky,

You referenced Columbia College in Chicago, Illinois.

Columbia University's UNDERGRADUATE COLUMBIA COLLEGE is located in NEW YORK, New York.
http://www.college.columbia.edu/


For the love of God please stop.
truotsuko  
#114 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:18:13 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Finally a break through,
Quote:

Being regionally accredited and being academically respected with a quality program are mutually exclusive

I agree with you, but what you have used so far as sourcing has been your brain and nothing else.
Quote:

An assertion is not a fact.

I agree, that is why I called them "wild assertions"
Quote:

If you have to argue it, then it is not a fact.

Well it is an argument because we disagree, I do not simply assume that everything I say is not to be challenged (might be why we cannot seem to come to terms).

I do not even know what you tried to elude to with your answer to my 4th FACT statement...


totj  
#115 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:23:36 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

truotsuko wrote:
F
I agree with you, but what you have used so far as sourcing has been your brain and nothing else.

Its a beautiful thing, I know.

truotsuko wrote:

I agree, that is why I called them "wild assertions"

No, you clearly labeled it as a fact. You don't get to declare a fact and within said fact call it an assertion.

Logic clearly isn't your strong point.

truotsuko wrote:

I do not even know what you tried to elude to with your answer to my 4th FACT statement...



That is because it wasn't a fact, it was an opinion. 

Again, you seem to be having trouble with this whole "fact" thing.

Im done slapping you around. I need to get working on a paper for a real degree.
truotsuko  
#116 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:31:29 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)


No I eluded to the FACT that all you have made are "wild assertions" I defined that statement as fact simply because you have failed to produce anything to back it up or as they say on Law and Order to corroborate your statement, if you had one credible source that can be fact checked to back you up then I would agree with you.

totj wrote:

Its a beautiful thing, I know.

That pretty much surmises the whole discussion, you are clearly narcissistic so arguing with you is akin to speaking to a wall

totj wrote:

Im done slapping you around. I need to get working on a paper for a real degree.

If that is what you define as slapping around I have really lived a sheltered life, because I think you have done nothing but speak ignorantly and misinform period...





truotsuko2011-09-26 18:38:44
truotsuko  
#117 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:13:21 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well to anyone who cares to know I applied and have been ACCEPTED to Georgia Institute of Technology for the MS in Information Security distance learning, with my WGU BS so please as I have said to all do your research before you listen to crawlers on the internet spewing their personal opinions...

Greg  
#118 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 4:10:34 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/16/2010(UTC)
Posts: 539

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well I moved from Small town Oklahoma to San Antonio. Found a company I could knock out all certs within the next 6 months. They have different programs and I found the perfect one.

Network Professional-Security

Below are the Certs I will taking. What jobs should I focus on with these?

-ISP 3204 A+ Essentials 2009
-ISP 3205 A+ Practical Application
-ISP 3220 Network+
-ISP 3230 Security+
-ISP 4371 6419 – Configuring, Managing, and Maintaining Windows Server 2008 Servers
-ISP4331 6420 – Fundamentals of Windows Server 2008 Network and Applications Infrastructure
-ISP 4332 6421- Configuring and Troubleshooting a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure
-ISP 4336 6425 - Configuring and Troubleshooting Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain
-ISP 4337 6426 - Configuring and Troubleshooting Identity and Access Solutions w/Windows Server 2008
-ISP 4340 6430 - Planning and Administering Windows Server 2008
-ISP 3504 Ethical Hacking
-ISP 3512 Computer Hacking Forensics Investigator
-ISP 3508 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
Iago85  
#119 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:25:18 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/27/2011(UTC)
Posts: 8

I'm a bit confused. Do you have any background in the field? A few of those certs are very, very lofty and require a good amount of experience and technical familiarity.
truotsuko  
#120 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:40:29 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well looks like those certs position you for security.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (4)
7 Pages«<4567>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.172 seconds.