Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AHLTA Warrior  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 6:48:43 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Put this in the DoD Section but would like input here as well.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting slammed with additional duties. So much so that I can't even do the job that I was hired to do. I work for DISA and took a transfer to do more Network Defense stuff and since I transferred I've done absolutely minimal of what I was hired to do, instead given special projects (that have been a joke considering we have no money). Now they are dumping ADPE equipment custodian and NCCM on me. I'm happy in my job (love my boss) but this doesn't seem right. I'm not military, I don't want these additional duties, I've told them as much. I don't want the responsibility of millions of dollars worth of equipment. If I got some sort of raise for doing another freaking job it would be a different story but instead I'm making the same and doing three jobs.

Is this legal? Because it sure doesn't seem ethical.
Bruce W Sims  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:24:11 AM(UTC)
2Tired2Retire

AFAIK what you are experiencing is the "new" face of Government employment. Is it legal or even Ethical, probably not, but with the Un-Employment situation at 8% administrations know they have the typical job-person over a barrel. Most folks I know who have found themselves in your situation wind-up falling into Passive-Aggressive Behavior, for which the powers at be have a response: set behavioral limits or quotas of performance. There is also that "does not work and play well with others" cloud that they can hold over your review. In my own case, I didn't mind doing more work for the same pay as the day passed a whole lot faster. The only real complaint I had was that the projects I worked on weren't tied to helping the vet as much as paper-pushing.And for each thing I did there were three or four people above me who had to record the stats and push even MORE papers about the amount of papers I was pushing. If I would have been allowed to have more contact with clients I would have felt a lot more like I was really doing my part. FWIW.2Tired2Retire2013-02-13 11:32:17
<br /><br />Best Wishes, <br /><br />Bruce<br /><br />What Man is a Man who does not Strive to make the World Better?
edc1911  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:29:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There are many organization that assign additional duties to civilians. You're fighting a loosing battle. I suggest start looking for a different job if you are unhappy.
&#079;ne D&#111;new&#111;ng  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:07:53 PM(UTC)
nofedjob

Its not a question of "what you want" its what the job entails
upandup  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:18:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Management has the authority to direct work/assign tasks. The mission has to get done, and with hiring freezes, it is often necessary to divide tasks from unfilled positions among the staff that one has. The issue might be if performance standards don't reflect your actual duties or if your appraisal does not account for the extra tasks you have been assigned.
Bruce W Sims  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:19:03 PM(UTC)
2Tired2Retire

Thanks, Up.....I think you nailed one of the bigger concerns. Just like noone wants to have to perform work for free, I think most people want to make sure that they get credit or recognition or regard for what they accomplish. One of the bitterest complaints I have heard is when upper management takes credit for work accomplished by the worker bees. I suspect not everyone believes they will get a marble plaque for their efforts, but a letter of recommendation is a nice thing to have when looking to take the next rung on the ladder, right?
<br /><br />Best Wishes, <br /><br />Bruce<br /><br />What Man is a Man who does not Strive to make the World Better?
Knight  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:05:58 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 478 time(s) in 395 post(s)
The best managers give credit where credit is due.
The HalfBreed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:40:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 29 post(s)

AHLTA Warrior wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting slammed with additional duties. So much so that I can't even do the job that I was hired to do.

I don't agree with many of the posted responses above.

Every job has a "Defined Duties" reference and description. EVERY JOB. Period.

The old days of, "and other duties as assigned" were basically thrown out long ago....to some extent.

I would certainly ask for clarification of the duties assigned to your position, and if some of these duties are not part of your job, and may be assigned elsewhere (i.e. typing or filing, which was not part of your initial duties), you have the right to ask for a "Desk Audit" to determine if you are qualified for a reduction in duties, additional pay, or the like.

This tired old song I see folks sing here, "Be glad to have a job" or "The Boss is the Boss" is passe.

We all do additional work, but to absorb other duties without questioning them and IF they actually APPLY to your job title is tantamount to just "Bending Over".

After 39 years in the Gov't (now retired), I know what I speak of.

Double Check your initial "Job Description" or ask your supervisor for it. That usually makes them "THINK".

As the (now retired) former Executive Vice President of the Chicago Local of PASS, I'm very confident in my opinion on this subject.

The HalfBreed2013-08-14 15:48:07
RETIRED CSRS 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years.
Good Bye Tension...Hello Pension !
TotallyRetired  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:16:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
AHLTA Warrior wrote:
...they are dumping ADPE equipment custodian and NCCM on me. I'm happy in my job (love my boss) but this doesn't seem right... I don't want the responsibility of millions of dollars worth of equipment...

Since you have a reasonable boss, one option is to request that he/she include an evaluation of your performance as an ADPE equipment custodian in your annual performance review.

It sounds as though you aren't interested in documenting specialized experience as an ADPE equipment custodian, but it might be useful in applying for vacancies later on.

My take on this is that if you can't hand off this extra work to someone else you might as well get credit for it.
The HalfBreed  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:14:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 29 post(s)

AHLTA Warrior wrote:
...they are dumping ADPE equipment custodian and NCCM on me. I'm happy in my job (love my boss)

One can be happy with their "Boss"...However, IMO, NO one has a "Boss", only a Supervisor.
And why would you be happy with your job/boss if you feel they are DUMPING on you ?

Semi-Retired wrote:

Since you have a reasonable boss....

A Reasonable "SUPERVISOR" would not make their employee feel as if they are having work "DUMPED" on them.

The HalfBreed2013-08-14 19:19:44
RETIRED CSRS 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years.
Good Bye Tension...Hello Pension !
TotallyRetired  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:40:38 PM(UTC)

AHLTA Warrior wrote:
Is this legal?

If you have to work uncompensated evenings & week-ends to keep up with this extra work, it would be a good idea to keep a record of the time you worked & why.

Your SF-50 will indicate if your job is covered under the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Since I am not a lawyer, I am stepping out of this discussion. Good luck.
Pat M  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:40:33 AM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 366 post(s)
I'd just tell them it's too much, you won't be able to do your regular job. Let them find someone else to do it. If they insist you work overtime, make sure you demand to be paid and not just comp time. That usually stops it. You can't give someone 3 jobs and expect them to do all of them right.
Bruce W Sims  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:16:04 PM(UTC)
2Tired2Retire

Maybe its just me....somehow... in some way I feel as though there has been a kind of shift in the very nature of "employment", though its difficult to characterize it well. The sense that I get is that workers are seen much less as "human" and more as "disposable resources". I know that the "fat" days of the 1950-s are long-gone and never to return so its not that I am looking for that. Its just that fewer and fewer people want to pay for their employees healthcare, insurance or retirement. But they also don't want to pay better wages. Of course that does not keep the employer from asking for more and more production. I recently heard the head of our Government Contractor program state that our work "should be fun". Maybe he can say that from up where he sits. Down in the trenches, though, being an employee is fraught with constant pressure to do more with less and the ever-present threat of finding "someone who will". Its not "fun" being in fear for one's employment situation on a daily basis.
Robert  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:34:23 PM(UTC)
tradosaurus

2Tired2Retire wrote:
Maybe its just me....somehow... in some way I feel as though there has been a kind of shift in the very nature of "employment", though its difficult to characterize it well. The sense that I get is that workers are seen much less as "human" and more as "disposable resources". I know that the "fat" days of the 1950-s are long-gone and never to return so its not that I am looking for that. Its just that fewer and fewer people want to pay for their employees healthcare, insurance or retirement. But they also don't want to pay better wages. Of course that does not keep the employer from asking for more and more production. I recently heard the head of our Government Contractor program state that our work "should be fun". Maybe he can say that from up where he sits. Down in the trenches, though, being an employee is fraught with constant pressure to do more with less and the ever-present threat of finding "someone who will". Its not "fun" being in fear for one's employment situation on a daily basis.

I worked 10 yrs in the private sector and am just approaching 10 yrs in the gov't sector. At least where I work in DOD it's hasn't approached the inhumane levels the private sector is at.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed