Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rick  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:03:54 AM(UTC)
Rick74103

Groups: Registered

I am a reemployed annuitant. My reemployment began two months ago and my Service Comp Date has not yet been readjusted for me to accrue leave at the correct rate. How long should I wait before I complain?

I do not understand why it takes so long for this action to be completed. They were sure quick to withhold the annuity offset amount from my pay, but when it comes to making a corrective action in my favor, it seems very unfair.
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:33:11 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Welcome back to Government!
TotallyRetired  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:55:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The problem may be that your HR office is not experienced in handling reemployed annuitants. If this is the case, I would make an appointment to speak with the HR manager who is responsible for payroll & take your retirement SF-50 with you.

Semi-Retired2013-06-15 14:33:54
Bruce W Sims  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:04:23 AM(UTC)
2Tired2Retire

Sorry, S-R... but I have had a different experience.

The problem is not just that people may not be experienced in handling R A-s, but there is also the matter of not wanting to be on the downside of an issue. What I mean by this is that an HR employee does not want to be seen as asking for help because it might suggest that they may not be able to handle their job. Ever see the Job Req-s for the folks who push papers in Government? How does it feel knowing your affairs are handled by a kid with a GED who is either chronicly GAF or CYA.

Another issue is that if most folks don't know how to handle on R A, then SOMEONE has to finally make a decision in an indecisive climate. Good Luck.

I will carry my memories of a recent short stint with the VA for the rest of my life only because I was appalled at how uninformed and incompetent the folks were. Almost noone had the right information and even FEWER people were willing to act on what information they had. I tried going through OPM only to be bounced back to the local VA HR. I even approached the IG but they could not do anything until some actionable event occurred. Apparently, professional incompetence and chronic indolence just didn't make the grade. ;-)

<br /><br />Best Wishes, <br /><br />Bruce<br /><br />What Man is a Man who does not Strive to make the World Better?
TotallyRetired  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:40:59 AM(UTC)

I am interpreting your post to mean that you also got stuck in the     4 hour per pay period leave category.

As I recall, because of an HR clerical error on your SF-50, you also had to forfeit several hundred dollars in your TSP.

Semi-Retired2013-06-15 14:34:47
Knight  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:49:23 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 397 post(s)
I don't understand why a person would retire to then turn around and come back for this convoluted mess. Why not just not retire and get paid normally?

TotallyRetired  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:54:33 AM(UTC)

Returning to work does not reduce a federal annuity. That direct deposit continues on as before.

Semi-Retired2013-06-15 14:35:30
Bruce W Sims  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:28:49 AM(UTC)
2Tired2Retire

Knight wrote:
I don't understand why a person would retire to then turn around and come back for this convoluted mess. Why not just not retire and get paid normally?

I can only speak for myself, Knight. In my case I have a passion for helping the Veterans of our country. For me its not some abstraction or political posturing. In my case, my father before me was a vet as is my son after me. I don't view vets as some sort of distant circumstance. For me it is very up-close-and-personal. During my first stint in the VA I was very much cowed by the fact that I needed to earn a paycheck, and that in order to hold my job I had to (ultimately) bow to the powers-that-be. AFAIC I am retired from that now, and have a "second chance" to make a difference without someone holding the threat of canning me over my head to get my compliance. The VA is terribly screwed-up as the recent report of a 900,000 claim backlog attests.

IMHO if the VA wants to remain a completely messed-up bureaucratic nightmare then it behooves the American public---both vet and non-vet--- to know it instead of pretending differently. Just sayin.....
<br /><br />Best Wishes, <br /><br />Bruce<br /><br />What Man is a Man who does not Strive to make the World Better?
Bruce W Sims  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:31:09 AM(UTC)
2Tired2Retire

Semi-Retired wrote:
Hi 2Tired...,

I am interpreting your post to mean that you also got stuck in the     4 hour per pay period leave category.

As I recall, because of an HR clerical error on your SF-50, you also had to forfeit several hundred dollars in your TSP.

If so, once I am reemployed, it seems I should ask a co-worker who is also an RA, for answers to the questions we are discussing in this forum.

I think thats a good plan, S-R....but don't be surprised if the responses you get change on a daily basis. There have been a number of court cases concerning R-A status and to date none of them have been found in favor of the R-A. Just sayin......
Knight  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:11:03 PM(UTC)

Man

Why go back into an agency that you think is messed up? Even as a RA, if you cause waves they will dump you. How much change can you really do as a part time hire?

If I was you and wanted to make changes I would go to the DAV, VFW, or any other VSO agency and use my VA gained knowledge to help Veterans strengthen their case so it passes first time.
Bruce W Sims  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:19:28 AM(UTC)
2Tired2Retire

Yep...and of course you are very right! There is also a part of me that wonders at the wisdom of trying to fix something thats broke or working in spite of the very agency that is purportedly dedicated to the mission I am interested in. I think the only bit that flies in the face of that is the idea that there are thousands of people on the public payroll who are dedicated to nothing more than themselves. I have worked with the people who have the Vet at the core of what they do. I have also worked with the folks who think only of themnselves first. My report is that there are a lot more of the latter than the former. Apparently they are very successful in hiding their behaviors because the Public is always surprised when reports filter to the media about how little is getting done relative to their budget. As I see it, the Public is getting screwed---twice; once for the general population and once for the population's vets.

Note that whenever there are cut-backs the first place that is cut is in the Vet contact areas so that there will be a public response and so protect the Middle Management. Its like Education that way. When there are cut-backs in Education the first cuts are in Student contact so that there will be a Public out-cry before there are any cuts to the Middle Management. With the VA its all about Employment and the Vet is just an excuse to collect a salary. Where is it written that measureable performance is necessary? Just sayin.....
TotallyRetired  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:48:59 AM(UTC)

I am wondering if there is a non-profit organization that would use volunteers to help vets pull together a complete chronological file of diagnoses & treatments-to-date.

It seems that some support like this might help with the VA backlog.
Knight  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:32:11 AM(UTC)

Man

2T2R paints a sad picture. One I do not agree with but I am not an insider. I know that my case was done quickly and reasonable. The VA has to balance the law and the issues for the Veteran. Almost every problem I have with the VA is not with the agency itself but Congress. They are the ones that make the rules that are stupid and suddenly they cry, "Why you doing that?" when it becomes an issue. Conside the "blue water - brown water" Vet discussion. That was a political mess created by Congress, not the VA.

As for help.

They are called Veterans Service Organizations. (DAV, VFW, MOPH, AL) The VSO's all have trained individuals that will help a Veteran with thier claim. They will be your advocate for free. If you have a hearing they will go with you. Have questions, they will find answers. Most of them are Veterans too and know what a person is going through.Knight2013-04-14 13:38:39
The HalfBreed  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:51:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)

Rick74103 and others in that category...

From MY understanding, we've had reemployed annuitants and newly hired military retirees who bring up the same issues.

From what I've seen, and I'll give you an example~

1. Military retiree drawing retirement pension. Joins FAA for 2 months.
   He/She gets 4 hrs/pp because they only have 2 months agency time.
   The 30 yrs went down the tubes with their retirement. These people     
   were given the opportunity to forfeit their pension for 8 hrs/pp etc,
   but they refused and now get 4 hrs/pp.

It was said to them by HR that their time in service, etc was part of the calculations that went into their pension, and therefore cannot be claimed a 2nd time.

....good luck.

The HalfBreed2013-04-29 07:57:14
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
TotallyRetired  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 12:49:02 AM(UTC)

The rules for reemployed annuitants vary from agency to agency.

Some agencies permit reemployed annuitants to participate in the TSP, accumulate 8 hours per pay period of leave, & participate in several other federal benefits.

Semi-Retired2013-05-03 16:45:15
Rss Feed  Atom Feed