Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robert  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:03:20 AM(UTC)
bklynrob

Groups: Registered

Greetings. I'm looking for clarification regarding the rules for details and temp promotions. I did a search and found a similar question, except it dealt with EEO issues and that's not my case. So if this was answered on the forum elsewhere, I apologize up front. Here is the situation:

I'm a GS-13 Non-supervisory employee (Career Conditional). I've completed my one year probationary period but have less than three years federal service.

Five months into my employment I was detailed to a GS-14 Supervisory position. The detail was non-competitive and was not to exceed 120 days. When the 120th day arrived, nothing happened. They kept my in the Supervisory detail. Then in April of this year, they changed my detail to a temporary promotion, NTE 120 days. That expired last week and I'm still in the Supervisory billet. So essentially, I've been serving in a supervisory billet in the next higher grade since July 2012 without any interruption in time.

My question is: How long can they keep me in a supervisory billet like this? I don't mind being a supervisor and I was happy that they had enough trust and confidence in my to detail me to the position when I was only five months on the job. But at the same time, I work my behind off and although I was getting paid as a 14 for four months when I was temp promoted, the rest of it has been with no additional pay and I'm still in the billet and not getting paid for it.

The plan is that once the freeze ends and they are authorized to hire, they will advertise the position competitively. I'll put in for it but there is no guarantee I'll be selected. I knew that when I accepted the detail but I never expected to be doing it this long. Some of my peers were not happy that I was detailed (junior guy on the job) and complaints were made, so I know when the position is eventually advertised, my agency will look at it very closely and I'm afraid they won't select me because it will be easier for them to select someone from the outside. That mitigates grievances that would likely be filed if they did decide to select me.

Do I make an issue of it or just ride it out? Any constructive advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.       

geo8909  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:53:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The reason your temp promotion ended after 120 days is that is the maximum a temporary and non-competive promotion can last.   

But they still need the work done.

If it was me, and I didn't feel I was being abused I would keep on keeping on. Chance to excel, you know?

But others "mileage may vary".

TotallyRetired  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:00:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

If this were my situation, I would want the entire 12 months as a supervisor to be documented by SF-50s. (I am interpreting your post to say that your SF-50s cover only 8 months.)

Since you are just beginning your federal career, I see the supervisory experience as more important than the additional salary. If you are in a position to negotiate, you might ask about getting credit for 4 or so additional months as a GS-13 supervisor.

I don't know the rules on this issue. --Just saying that one year of documented experience as a supervisor might be what you need to qualify for a GS-14 supervisory position at your agency or another agency.

Semi-Retired2013-08-22 16:19:30
Fed GS  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:25:50 AM(UTC)

I do not understand the hiring freeze blocking a fill of supervisory positions and make it competitive within the organization, then leave the position the person was promoted out of vacant - no true loss of money.
As a supervisor- you should make sure you have supervisory training so these questions you have will be answered.
Other things to keep in mind, merit system principles, you have been given an advantage over other federal employees - that is why there is a time limit on details and temp promotion. It's either one or the other, temp promotion or temp detail to the same position. It should be a competitive action for anything over 120 days. In this supervisor position have you accomplished your subordinate employees appraisals, provided feedback, disciplinary and all the supervisor responsibilities as identified in the OPM GSSG? If not fully performing as a supervisor then you are just a place holder so the authorization does not go away in the hiring freeze.
Robert  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:18:40 PM(UTC)
bklynrob

Fed GS, yes during the past year I did conduct appraisals as well as performance plans. I conducted counseling on performance issues but fortunately I did not have to deal with conduct issues. Much of what I learned was by doing and with close coordination with HR. But you are spot on: I've received no formal supervisory training other than what I was able to take on line. I identified those goals in my IDP and was told that due to budget issues, there was no funding to send me. So in that aspect, I believe my agency is failing both me and the subordinates I am responsible for.

The detailed me for 120 days. Then extended it another 120. Then temp promoted me for 120 which has just expired but I'm still performing the duties. I suspect that soon they will have no choice but to remove me from the billet because I don't think they can continue to extend the detail.
Robert  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:23:32 PM(UTC)
bklynrob

The full year is documented. They documented the detail actions with SF-52's and documented the temp promotion with an SF-50. I see it kind of the same way you do, the experience as a 14 is important to me but at the same time, I feel like they are using me as free labor. But I may be looking at this myopically. Thanks for the feedback.
Fed GS  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:49:02 PM(UTC)

The SF52 is not an official personnel action it is used to put into the system to generate the SF50.

Some supervisory training is now offered on-line, you might want to check into it.

No one thinks supervisory training is important or to follow things official, until there is a complaint as in MSPB or EO and your organization can be held accountable for not officially documenting whose is the supervisor and in putting the person is a supervisory position without training can hurt if a complaint is filed.

Your organization is keeping you in the position and not providing the others (if they want it) the same opportunity, if you are selected for the position permanently others can file a MSPB as they can claim you were given opportunities they weren't and there for a Prohibited Personnel Action.

TotallyRetired  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:27:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Fed GS wrote:
The SF52 is not an official personnel action it is used to put into the system to generate the SF50.

Some supervisory training is now offered on-line, you might want to check into it.

No one thinks supervisory training is important or to follow things official, until there is a complaint as in MSPB or EO and your organization can be held accountable for not officially documenting whose is the supervisor and in putting the person is a supervisory position without training can hurt if a complaint is filed.

Your organization is keeping you in the position and not providing the others (if they want it) the same opportunity, if you are selected for the position permanently others can file a MSPB as they can claim you were given opportunities they weren't and there for a Prohibited Personnel Action.

+1
Franklin  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 5:36:45 AM(UTC)
Silence Dogood

A temporary promotion is the temporary assignment of an employee to a higher graded position for a specified period of time, with the employee returning to his/her permanent position upon the expiration of the temporary action. In order for an employee to be temporarily promoted, he/she must meet the same qualification requirements that are necessary for a permanent promotion. The temporarily promoted employee receives the higher graded salary for the period assigned and gains quality experience and time-in-grade at the higher grade level.
Temporary promotions are intended for meeting temporary needs of the agency's work program when necessary services cannot be provided by other means. Temporary promotions can be used to:

• fill temporary positions

• accomplish project work

• fill positions temporarily pending reorganization or downsizing

• or meet other temporary needs

The initial 120 days of a temporary promotion may be made noncompetitively, which means the selected employee does not have to compete with other employees for the temporary assignment. All time spent on noncompetitive temporary promotions and details to higher graded positions during the preceding 12 months counts toward the 120-day total. If the temporary promotion is extended beyond 120 days, competition is required.

The maximum time period for a temporary promotion is 5 years, unless the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) authorizes the agency to make and/or extend it for a longer period. A temporary promotion that was originally made under competitive procedures can be extended up to 5 years without further competition.

A temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition provided the temporary promotion was originally made under competitive procedures and the fact that it might lead to a permanent promotion was made known to all potential candidates.

The local union contract should be reviewed prior to effecting temporary promotion actions of employees covered by the bargaining unit.

See:5 CFR 335.103 - Agency promotion programs.
beasleytw  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:12:39 AM(UTC)
beasleytw

I was given a Temporary Promotion (with pay) that started on 20 July 2019 and is going to end the last part of October 2019. My supervisor wants to place me in a Temporary Detail (without pay) as soon as the Temporary Promotion ends. I want to do it to continue to gain experience.

Can my supervisor do this?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed