Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AnalyticalNitche  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:47:04 PM(UTC)
AnalyticalNitche

Groups: Registered

Can an SES have daughters who work in the same organization? It is my understanding the daughter was being supervised by her mother who is one of our SES. Someone complained and the daughter was moved into a position across the street under my supervisor, however it's the same organization. I question the legality of this because we are all under the umbrella of the SES.

The daughter is extremely demanding although she is not in a supervisory role. She is disrespectful to anyone who does not do exactly what she ask and of course she is never wrong. She also expects preferential treatment and receives it. She is untruthful about her verbal attacks on others and management believes her. Everyone is afraid to challenge her because she makes it known who her mother is. Is this a conflict of interest is so what regulation covers this.

Edited by user Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:49:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SDAnalyst  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:27:52 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 422 time(s) in 361 post(s)
She cannot be supervised by her mother. Pressuring others to give her daughter preference is not allowed either. These are called Prohibited Personnel Practices. Here's a link to the MSPB PPP page: http://www.mspb.gov/ppp/ppp.htm

Prohibited Personnel Practices (5 USC § 2302(b))

Any employee who has authority to take, direct others to take, recommend, or approve any personnel action, shall not, with respect to such authority—

7. appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position any individual who is a relative (as defined in section 3110 (a)(3)

(3)“relative” means, with respect to a public official, an individual who is related to the public official as father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, or half sister.

of this title) of such employee if such position is in the agency in which such employee is serving as a public official (as defined in section 3110 (a)(2) of this title) or over which such employee exercises jurisdiction or control as such an official;

The situation you describe can/should be reported to the Office of Special Counsel, who has the authority to investigate these type of situations: https://osc.gov/
To file a complaint: https://osc.gov/pages/file-complaint.aspx
thanks 2 users thanked SD Analyst for this useful post.
Knight on 6/26/2015(UTC), Draconian on 7/17/2015(UTC)
Knight  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 4:11:54 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 480 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Yea, what Pat said.
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
GWPDA on 6/26/2015(UTC), Draconian on 7/17/2015(UTC)
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 6:32:15 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 437 post(s)
I hope we hear the end of this. Outright nepotism is rare enough to make a big deal.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
Draconian on 7/17/2015(UTC)
AnalyticalNitche  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 4:18:05 AM(UTC)
AnalyticalNitche

Hello everyone and thank you for your reply. I need to clarify however. The daughter is no longer being supervised by her mother. She is now being supervised by my supervisor. The bottom line is she is the daughter of one of our SES and she gets away with everything because everyone knows who her mother is.

Two weeks ago she provided me with incorrect information and I challenged her information and I got in trouble. Today I received confirmation from the undersecretary of the Army office that I was right and she was wrong. I presented the data and all I got was "let's look at this as a lesson learned". This girl should not be allowed to work for the organization her mother overseas. What can be done about this. Any recommendation/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Knight  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 2:17:49 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 480 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Anonymous call to the IG?
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Draconian on 7/17/2015(UTC)
AnalyticalNitche  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 3:33:56 AM(UTC)
AnalyticalNitche

I took a look at the IG website and they do not handle prohibited personnel practices. Poking around I discovered this matter would be handled by the U.S Merit System Protection Board. The problem here is I would not be able to handle it anonymously.

I'll find another job and report it on my way out. What is happening here is simply wrong and unethical. I questioned one of our LTC about the SES daughter and he stated " she has more power than he does".

If anyone can think of another way to get abound this issue please let me know.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2015 3:26:19 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1057 time(s) in 842 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AnalyticalNitche Go to Quoted Post
I took a look at the IG website and they do not handle prohibited personnel practices. Poking around I discovered this matter would be handled by the U.S Merit System Protection Board. The problem here is I would not be able to handle it anonymously.

I'll find another job and report it on my way out. What is happening here is simply wrong and unethical. I questioned one of our LTC about the SES daughter and he stated " she has more power than he does".

If anyone can think of another way to get abound this issue please let me know.
Letter to Congresscritter?

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
AnalyticalNitche  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2015 3:57:14 AM(UTC)
AnalyticalNitche

It is my plan to send a letter to Congress, however I am hesitant to do so until I find another job. I suppose I am looking for a way to report the matter anonymously out of fear of reprisal.

In my 16 years in the federal system with excellent performance appraisals the one of the observation made is the OPM rules against prohibited personnel practices are looked upon as guidance by management, as a matter of fact I have heard management say they do not have to follow the guidance or their internal policies trump DoD policies. It is my opinion should I be open about this matter it would be a career ender for me, unfortunately that is the climate at my present organization.

This is all happening at the Program Executive Office. What a shame when we are a high profile organization.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed