Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BRAC - Base Realignment and Closure

The effects of a base closure can be huge - causing much stress and questions. This forum can help with the sharing of ideas, suggestions, and answers of those affected (currently or in the past) by BRAC.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2015 10:47:43 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1030 time(s) in 871 post(s)
I saw an interview with someone who is currently one of the Deputy/Assistant/Under SecDefs, he said they would like to propose another round of base closing.

Really? Do they think they can save money? In many cases they had to spend untold millions to get into a position to save money. And most of the bases that are still open seem to have had a lot of new construction over the past few years.

I guess we'll have to see.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
hustonj  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2015 11:14:54 AM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 322 time(s) in 259 post(s)
One of the recurring things I hear from inside the USAF is that we have a GREAT DEAL more infrastructure than our people can reasonably use. We have that excess infrastructure because Congress keeps reducing the force but keeps demanding we keep bases open. The USAF can identify bases it would like to close, but Congress won't let us. They require the silly BRAC process to recommend closures and consolidations that they can than argue about and work to ensure their constituents keep an open base nearby . . ..
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2015 11:49:44 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

There was a base, I think it was actually a Navy base but hosted all the services. The Navy said, we're tired of paying the bills to keep this airbase open so we're closing it (I think they had actually moved the last Navy aviation units out prior to that). The governor said, you can't close this base! The Air Force then said, you can keep the base open if you like but we are moving our Air National Guard units someplace else. I think that base is still open... barely... but no flight ops.
grampi50  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:01:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If they truly want to save money, close the overseas bases, bring our troops home, and keep our stateside bases open...we don't need bases overseas anyway...we have plenty of allies who would allow us to use their bases if needed...besides, our military has no business being overseas and they could do more good protecting our nation if they were here...
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 5:38:14 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1211 time(s) in 967 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grampi50 Go to Quoted Post
If they truly want to save money, close the overseas bases, bring our troops home, and keep our stateside bases open...we don't need bases overseas anyway...we have plenty of allies who would allow us to use their bases if needed...besides, our military has no business being overseas and they could do more good protecting our nation if they were here...
You do realize that most of the bases overseas actually are from the host nation? For example, Japan and Korea pay a lot towards the operation costs of the base itself, and the US pays for our operations there. The same in the UK (and in the UK, the bases are Royal Air Force Bases hence the RAF in front of the base name, such as RAF Mildenhall). We are in many of those countries, not to protect the host nation, but to be able to respond to threats to the US quickly.

While it sounds good to say "close all overseas bases!", the reality is that our previous attempt to be isolated from the world and not care about what is happening outside out borders did not work out well for the US...and dragged us into some major wars. Of course, we also went too far and interfered in some countries that resulted in us getting involved militarily and having to pull out in a loss (see Vietnam for example). And, it may not save us any real money long term. For example, we closed the Bomber Wing on Anderson AFB in Guam back in 1990. Soon afterwards, Desert Storm kicked off. As a result, we have had bombers TDY there ever since. TDYs are way more expensive than putting the airplanes there with the people rotating every 2 to 4 years via PCS. Plus all the delays trying to get your people into place when something kicks off. Overseas bases allow us to react faster and then backfill/rotate out those initial people/equipment as we are able. And some costs are not only in dollars and cents.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 2 users thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
FS0201 on 2/20/2015(UTC), OldGoatTom on 2/20/2015(UTC)
GWPDA  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:15:01 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 605 time(s) in 495 post(s)
Still wondering about whether there will be a new round of BRAC. I too have picked up stories suggesting that there well may be.
someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 5:53:36 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
Still wondering about whether there will be a new round of BRAC. I too have picked up stories suggesting that there well may be.

Saw a couple of news stories about local groups mobilizing political efforts to save bases in their area (Georgia, Texas, New Jersey, more). So I guess others are thinking along the same lines.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed