Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Labor

The Department of Labor fosters and promotes the welfare of the job seekers, wage earners, and retirees of the United States by improving their working conditions, advancing their opportunities for profitable employment, protecting their retirement and health care benefits, helping employers find workers, strengthening free collective bargaining, and tracking changes in employment, prices, and other national economic measurements.

In carrying out this mission, the Department administers a variety of Federal labor laws including those that guarantee workers' rights to safe and healthful working conditions; a minimum hourly wage and overtime pay; freedom from employment discrimination; unemployment insurance; and other income support. (DOL's mission statement)

Perhaps you are working for the DOL or interested in working for the DOL. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DOL.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MoFedee  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 4:47:14 PM(UTC)
MoFedee

Groups: Registered

There has been news that the DOL plans to hire additional Wage and Hour Investigators nationwide. The Wage and Hour Division seems to be making an attempt to hire individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds. Is there any information on how diverse the Miami / Fort Lauderdale district offices are in relation to their Investigators? Do they plan to hire more Investigators in their geographical area?
Equitable Civil Servant  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:59:33 PM(UTC)
Equitable Civil Servant

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
David Weil, the head of WHD, had stated that there was money in the budget to hire 300 more investigators. Unfortunately, when it comes to diversity, the WHD is failing to hire investigators that are reflective of our diverse workforce. This holds true for metropolitan areas such as Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, New York, Houston and Los Angeles. It's an oversimplification to consider our workforce as just Whites, Blacks and Hispanics. The Miami metro area continues to be bias towards Asians - people having an origin from the original peoples in the Far East, South East Asia, and Indian subcontinent.
MoFedee  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2015 4:36:20 PM(UTC)
MoFedee

Thanks for the info. I am from an underrepresented ethnic/religious minority class. No wonder the WHD Miami Office never called me after I was rated best qualified and referred for the position. Since they re-listed the position, I am still waiting for a rating. Hopefully the Fort Lauderdale office will be more inclusive and tolerant toward other ethnic groups. It's difficult to comprehend how they can enforce Labor Standards on a diverse workforce, when their personnel and not culturally diverse and able to communicate in different languages. :(
ruso82  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 11:53:13 AM(UTC)
ruso82

I just got a call from the hiring manager and she said there was a hiring freeze so no hiring will be done at the moment. Also, I noticed very little job postings on USAjobs. Anybody know about this?
MoFedee  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2015 3:33:21 PM(UTC)
MoFedee

I am not sure why there would be a hiring freeze when Congress provided money in the 2015 budget for more investigative staff. Also the President just made more workers eligible for overtime, so WHD will have to enforce labor standard laws. Agencies should have been posting jobs and using out their budgets before the new fiscal year starts in October 1.
ruso82  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2015 6:10:59 PM(UTC)
ruso82

Newly posted jobs are open only to current WHD employees, I noticed. Seems like they are only hiring within WHD.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed