Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



NSPS - National Security Personnel System

NSPS is the Department of Defense's (DoD) flexible and responsive civilian management system that: (1) values performance and contribution, (2) encourages communication, (3) supports broader skill development, and (4) promotes excellence in the workplace

NSPS modernizes a 50-year-old civil service system, allowing DoD to better attract, recruit, retain, compensate, reward and manage employees. The system focuses on people, performance, and employment decisions that are cost-effective and best for business practice.

(source: Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service)

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 1:47:18 PM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/4/2015(UTC)
Posts: 1
United States
Location: Monterey

Good afternoon,

I recently came back into civil service after a five year break. I am currently being denied GS-07 positions because they are not recognizing my time in grade from when I was NSPS (GS-06 equivalent). I resigned from civil service before the government decided to do away with it. Now CPAC is telling me that because I was in a resigned state when the NSPS back to GS conversion happened I will not be given a conversion SF like everyone else received back in 2010. I'm sorry but in my mind it makes sense that when I came back on the rolls that they would have to do the conversion to determine what step to place me in. Can anyone please give me feedback or even better give me a regulation or memo that I can take to my local CPAC that states that I am entitled to a conversion SF50? I am just not buying the whole, well your time doesn't exist explanation.
#2 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2015 7:18:55 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/26/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,836

Thanks: 300 times
Was thanked: 622 time(s) in 505 post(s)
From long experience with CPAC, you're going to have to work the problem to the highest level you can get to. This document at least seems to offer some assistance: cpol.army.mil/library/general/nsps-archives/docs-repeal/DoD_Transition_Guidance_Ch-6_2010-11-05.pdf
HR Bubba  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:59:03 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2013(UTC)
Posts: 779

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 255 time(s) in 205 post(s)
The CPAC is right and should not issue you a conversion SF-50. You were not a federal employee when the conversion out happened; you resigned as an NSPS employee and that is that. With regard to the TIG issue, here is a reference from the CFR pertaining to TIG. Specifically, see (b)

§300.605 Creditable service.

(a) All service at the required or higher grade (or equivalent) in positions to which appointed in the Federal civilian service is creditable towards the time periods required by §300.604 of this part, except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. Creditable service includes competitive and excepted service in positions under the General Schedule and other pay systems, including employment with a nonappropriated fund instrumentality. Service while on detail is credited at the grade of the employee's position of record, not the grade of the position to which detailed. Also creditable is service with the District of Columbia Government prior to January 1, 1980 (or prior to September 26, 1980, for those District employees who were converted to the District personnel system on January 1, 1980).

(b) Service in positions not subject to the General Schedule (GS) is credited at the equivalent GS grade by comparing the candidate's rate of basic pay with the representative rate (as defined in §351.203 of this chapter) of the GS position in effect when the non-GS service was performed. The equivalent GS grade is the GS grade with a representative rate that equals the candidate's rate of basic pay. When the candidate's rate of basic pay falls between the representative rates of two GS grades, the non-GS service is credited at the higher grade.

(c) In applying the restrictions in §300.604 of this part, prior service under temporary appointment at a level above that of a subsequent nontemporary competitive appointment is credited as if the service had been performed at the level of the nontemporary appointment. This provision applies until the employee has served in pay status for 52 weeks under nontemporary competitive appointment; thereafter, the service is credited at its actual grade level (or equivalent).
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
FS0201 on 9/22/2015(UTC), SD Analyst on 9/28/2015(UTC)
#4 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2015 4:56:54 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/3/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,987

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 91 post(s)
I vote for 300.605 (b). Your last salary amount should be used to establish a GS grade them apply TIG to qualify for the next grade.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.246 seconds.