Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:13:07 AM(UTC)
bille2021

Groups: Registered

Hello all, Thanks is advance for your input!

I have a question about being promoted. I'm going into a GS position that has promotion potential at a STEP 10 due to matching of my current salary. My question is how will my promotion to the next grade work out. Will I just automatically go to a step in that grade that exceeds my current pay?

Example:
GS-7 at step 10 makes $43,521
When I get GS-9 would I get Step 3 to increase my pay?

Thanks!!
Scout0315  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:38:35 AM(UTC)

Depends....Is your position a career ladder or are you at your full performance level.

If your position is a GS-7 full performance level, then no, you will get annual cost of living.

If you have a career ladder such as 7/9/11/12. Then you will get 6% raise at your anniversary date and placed on the appropriate step level for the next grade in your ladder.

quote:
Originally posted by Bille2021:
Hello all, Thanks is advance for your input!

I have a question about being promoted. I'm going into a GS position that has promotion potential at a STEP 10 due to matching of my current salary. My question is how will my promotion to the next grade work out. Will I just automatically go to a step in that grade that exceeds my current pay?

Example:
GS-7 at step 10 makes $43,521
When I get GS-9 would I get Step 3 to increase my pay?

Thanks!!
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
tucker515  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:05:38 AM(UTC)

I don't know where you are getting the 6%. If you are step 10 at say a grade 7, you will follow the two step rule for your promotion to say the GS-9.
Using base pay 7/10 43,521 1116 1116=45,6753

(The 1116 is the amount of each "step").

Go to the GS-9 table, the amount falls between step 4 and 5, you are entitled to the higher so you would be a GS 9, step 5 at $46,409. You now start a new waiting period fow WIGI- at this level you are eligible for step increase every two years.

IF you took a big downgrade to go to the original GS-7 position, say you had been a GS-11, step 1, your agency MAY also apply highest previous rate (HPR) when you go to the 9 position. So if you had been a GS-11 step 1 at when you went into the GS-7 position, the agency could give you a boost using your GS-11 salary. Currently a GS11, step 1 is 49,544, finding the closest match on the GS-9 pay scale, you fall between step 7 and 8, if the agency rounded up, you woild be a GS 9, step 8 at 50,504 per year, with a new waiting period of three years. You need to add locality pay to get your final salary.

This example assumes you are a GS employee (not NSPS) and the the downgrade was voluntary and not due to a RIF or other situation (such as disciplinary action).
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
Scott Dickinson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:36:16 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Tucker's info is right on, scout's not so much. Only the first part of his post was true. If you do not have a career ladder position with a Known Promotion Potential (KPP) attached, then you will only get cost of living raises each year. However if the job does have promotion to the next level then what tucker says is true. There are no % caps in the GS scale like there are in the NSPS or other pay banding systems. The key here is also to remember that the basis of all the pay moving calculations from one GS rate to another is done off of the base scale of the GS table and not the ones that have locality on it. This really only comes into play if you are changing localities. If you are doing the figuring yourself, always do the conversion first on the base scale and then when done converting, find out where that grade and step is on your locality pay. So in tuckers example once you applied the 2-step promotion rule (and didn't have to wory about HPR) once you figured out that you would be a GS-9 step 5 then you take that from the base scale and apply it to your locality.
Bill  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 6:18:19 AM(UTC)
bille2021

Thank you all for your inputs!

I don't know about a career latter, I haven't heard that term, but I know the position I'm going to is a 12/13 position and I'm being offered 12. And my future supervisor told me that I would get 13 at my 1 year anniversary as long as I'm performing as expected. I know that's all dependant on other things, but I can't control that.

Anyway, I appreciate the inputs ad I have a long time to worry about it anyway.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed